Player Discussion: Martin Jones

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
I like our guys but I would do as most suggested and rotate Korenar and Bibeau to see if they can prove themselves, you never know. )

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
With how many consecutive starts they’re giving Jones, I have to think they’re looking to replace Dell at the very least. Not sure there’s much that can be done with Jones this season, but maybe DW goes out and gets some Reimer-insurance like before, maybe a 1B who can take over if Jones falters in the playoffs.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
This about sums it up.

giphy.gif

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Bay Area
How about trading for Ryan Miller?

He's a pending UFA and has been a very solid backup the past two seasons.
He can definitely handle big games as well and would be itching for a cup.

Miller grew up playing hockey in the Bay Area for the Santa Clara Blackhawks so it would be a homecoming of sorts.

Reactions: Bleedred and 5H4RK5

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You can keep trying to play Aaron Dell a little more but he hasn't done much better. The only thing that can really be done because I don't think a trade is an option here is have the guys play better in front of him. They have to stop the undisciplined penalties and play better defense. It won't stop the Chara goal and it won't stop crappy officiating but it's the only option they really have until Jones figures it out this year. Have the team play a little more conservatively.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007

Miller grew up playing hockey in the Bay Area for the Santa Clara Blackhawks so it would be a homecoming of sorts.

That would be a good move just in case. Dell for Miller is not bad.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Miller just played his first game since December 9th on Sunday. He's not a starter anymore. He's pretty much done.

Reactions: one2gamble

IamJebus

Feb 21, 2007
5 Min from the Tank!

I would say yes, but, Miller has been hurt most of the year and has an injury plagued history.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
You can keep trying to play Aaron Dell a little more but he hasn't done much better. The only thing that can really be done because I don't think a trade is an option here is have the guys play better in front of him. They have to stop the undisciplined penalties and play better defense. It won't stop the Chara goal and it won't stop crappy officiating but it's the only option they really have until Jones figures it out this year. Have the team play a little more conservatively.
Sharks didnt allow a SOG for over 1/3rd of the game and still lost though.

Reactions: Bleedred

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks didnt allow a SOG for over 1/3rd of the game and still lost though.

I think the type of shot that you allow matters as much and maybe more than the amount you give up. Kuhlman's goal is completely preventable by Karlsson playing more conservatively. Krug's goal is preventable by guys keeping their sticks down. You can't prevent them all but I think there's enough evidence to show that this team can still produce plenty of offense while locking it down defensively to not expose their goaltending.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I'm in complaining mode today. Five more years of Jones' crappy play does not sound fun. If he doesn't play well in the playoffs we need to look at a other options for a #1 next year or at least get some solid competition in the org to get Jones nervous about his job. We simply cant have below average goaltending for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

SuperStarFerraro

Jun 21, 2018
He sucks plain and simple and he has the numbers to prove he sucks. Those who keep defending him you need to wake the f*** up and accept he sucks. bibeau or Korenar should get a shot seeing how terrible our Goaltending is, Pete deboer needs to figure it out.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I agree with the undisciplined penalties part.

I also think that playing 'conservative' will help Jones but I also think it is counter-productive because that is not the team style that PDB wants to play and limits the skillset of Burns and EK65. Also, what if Jones does not figure it out. We have little over 1/4th of the season left and Jones has not figured it out yet.

I think all Jones' play is doing is forcing DW's hand to make a trade for a goalie. Jones does not deserve a free pass because he is among the worst in the league in HDSV%. He is most definitely a problem.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree with the undisciplined penalties part.

I also think that playing 'conservative' will help Jones but I also think it is counter-productive because that is not the team style that PDB wants to play and limits the skillset of Burns and EK65. Also, what if Jones does not figure it out. We have little over 1/4th of the season left and Jones has not figured it out yet.

I think all Jones' play is doing is forcing DW's hand to make a trade for a goalie. Jones does not deserve a free pass because he is among the worst in the league in HDSV%. He is most definitely a problem.

I don't think it's counterproductive. It's merely a small adjustment to have your guys staying on the defensive side of the puck when the other team has the puck and is coming through the neutral zone.

If Jones never figures it out and you don't adjust defensively then you're asking to lose. You have to tailor the system to the talent you have for good or for bad. Karlsson and Burns are plenty good enough to still provide a significant amount of offense and possession without taking neutral zone pinches when the opposition has the puck.

I don't think the Sharks trading for a goalie is going to change much of anything and the types that are available are likely going to ask for an asset the Sharks simply don't have.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think the type of shot that you allow matters as much and maybe more than the amount you give up. Kuhlman's goal is completely preventable by Karlsson playing more conservatively. Krug's goal is preventable by guys keeping their sticks down. You can't prevent them all but I think there's enough evidence to show that this team can still produce plenty of offense while locking it down defensively to not expose their goaltending.
I think the point is no team is going to play perfectly for 60 minutes and a starter is expected to make more than the routine stops. In fact, a starter should be making all the routine stops and Jones can't even do that consistently this year.

Reactions: LA Shark

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the point is no team is going to play perfectly for 60 minutes and a starter is expected to make more than the routine stops. In fact, a starter should be making all the routine stops and Jones can't even do that consistently this year.

Those types of adjustments are predicated on the team being asked to play perfectly. It's about mitigating the risks given the parameters at hand. This team doesn't need to play as aggressively as it does.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think it's counterproductive. It's merely a small adjustment to have your guys staying on the defensive side of the puck when the other team has the puck and is coming through the neutral zone.

If Jones never figures it out and you don't adjust defensively then you're asking to lose. You have to tailor the system to the talent you have for good or for bad. Karlsson and Burns are plenty good enough to still provide a significant amount of offense and possession without taking neutral zone pinches when the opposition has the puck.

I don't think the Sharks trading for a goalie is going to change much of anything and the types that are available are likely going to ask for an asset the Sharks simply don't have.

That is my problem right there. The whole team needs to make adjustments around the 1 goalie who is failing to provide league-average goal tending.

If this is not what makes DW make a move for a goalie, I don't know what will. I know you have always been an advocate of D first and goalie 2nd and while I agree to a point, the goalie is still the last man in front of the net. If he fails in doing an average job, so will the team. I remember you were unhappy about us giving up a 1st for Jones. I was thrilled that we had a starting goalie. You were also unhappy at the amount of money that Jones got in his contract. I thought that was fine at that time. I still have zero issues with the draft pick given up and the contract Jones got. But I am still not going to defend him for the shitty goaltending he has provided. I am also not confident that Jones turns it around in time for the playoffs. I have seen little to no semblance of consistency from him over the season. Outside a few games here and there, he has been fairly bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad