Player Discussion: Martin Jones

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'm watching game 6 of the 16 final. Jones is unreal in this game...unreal in this series against a far superior team...High danger chances every second shift. Can that be found again?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm watching game 6 of the 16 final. Jones is unreal in this game...unreal in this series against a far superior team...High danger chances every second shift. Can that be found again?
It's the low/medium danger goals against, particularly early in a game, I worry about, frankly. I'm sick of hearing Randy say "that's one Martin Jones will want to have back". Even last year he made the big saves at big times.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That's why I'm not fully on the jettison Jones train. He's shown he can compete for a Conn Smythe and be a top 10 goalie at his best. He's incredibly inconsistent though, and seems to lack mental fortitude. I don't think it's lack of ability though. I don't know his problem, but I think it's fixable. That said, if we get two compliance buyouts, I'll happily see one used on him. His upside isn't worth the risk anymore.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That's why I'm not fully on the jettison Jones train. He's shown he can compete for a Conn Smythe and be a top 10 goalie at his best. He's incredibly inconsistent though, and seems to lack mental fortitude. I don't think it's lack of ability though. I don't know his problem, but I think it's fixable. That said, if we get two compliance buyouts, I'll happily see one used on him. His upside isn't worth the risk anymore.

After Nabby took over, I kind of agree. He looked miles better after Hedberg got the boot.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I just don't understand how any coach could change from a positional goalie to try and make him be whatever the coaching staff was trying to make him be.

Reactions: Dicdonya

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I just don't understand how any coach could change from a positional goalie to try and make him be whatever the coaching staff was trying to make him be.
I called him Carey Price lite years ago, and stand by what I said, when I said it. He was a good sized, athletic goalie with good positioning. That's hard to beat. His positioning is now... MIA. I think it's fixable, but not sure we should gamble on him anymore.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think Jones’ improvement after DeBoer’s firing was more due to the improved defense than his individual improvement. His save percentage did improve, but per the metrics that adjust for shot quality, Jones was actually worse after DeBoer got fired.

Moreover, who was the last player to return to playing at an above average level after two straight bad seasons? Goalie or skater. It seems pretty rare.

Reactions: stator

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I think Jones’ improvement after DeBoer’s firing was more due to the improved defense than his individual improvement. His save percentage did improve, but per the metrics that adjust for shot quality, Jones was actually worse after DeBoer got fired.

Moreover, who was the last player to return to playing at an above average level after two straight bad seasons? Goalie or skater. It seems pretty rare.
If Kurz' usage argument holds any water, there might still be hope for Jones. Braden Holtby had some of the same consistency/focus problems in Washington, to the point that people were ready to give up on him there too. With some rest and a solid #2 behind him, he was able to return to form.

Jones has eaten a lot of minutes the last few seasons, and that wears on even elite netminders. I'm hopeful that the long layoff this season, plus a solid backup next season, can give Jones the kind of rest he needs to be at least an adequate starter next year.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If Kurz' usage argument holds any water, there might still be hope for Jones. Braden Holtby had some of the same consistency/focus problems in Washington, to the point that people were ready to give up on him there too. With some rest and a solid #2 behind him, he was able to return to form.

Jones has eaten a lot of minutes the last few seasons, and that wears on even elite netminders. I'm hopeful that the long layoff this season, plus a solid backup next season, can give Jones the kind of rest he needs to be at least an adequate starter next year.
I feel like that’s a problem with the organization. No #1 goalie gets a rest. We’ve had some pretty good back ups the last 10ish years including Nittymaki, Stalock (not the year he fell apart), and Dell.

Reactions: NWSharkie

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I feel like that’s a problem with the organization. No #1 goalie gets a rest. We’ve had some pretty good back ups the last 10ish years including Nittymaki, Stalock (not the year he fell apart), and Dell.
You're not wrong, but I don't think it's specific to the Sharks. Hockey coaches love to ride their #1, no matter who they are, and the league has been pretty resistant to the idea of "load management" with a few exceptions. It's only in the last few years that the expectation for a starting goalie has started to come down from 65+ games/season. Brent Johnson had a thread on Twitter a couple of years back talking about Holtby and Vasilevskiy potentially suffering from the same thing, and I think you could easily add a handful of other goalies to that list.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I have to believe that what's consistent about Jones is his inconsistency. He's had stellar games mixed in with some down right stinkers. The equipment rule changes probably was a contributing factor. If those changes never happened, we'd likely see much more consistency out of Jones.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I’d like to see how Jones looks after this extended rest and hopefully a full offseason training with Nabokov in the woods of Yosemite before trying to get rid of him (barring an obvious steal of a trade or something).

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->