Player Discussion: Martin Jones

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
We can afford to tighten up defensively because we have Erik fkn Karlsson and Brent Burns!

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
being that Jones is playing like he has cataracts in both eyes, the only thing giving me hope is that he always seems to turn it up in the playoffs. However, this team cannot allow as many odd man rushes as they do. A lot of their point shots are getting blocked and all of our forwards have been caught low looking to tip pucks or bang in rebounds.

This team cannot rely solely on point shots, they have to take shots from closer range because then we’ll have at least 3 players back in the case of a turnover. Jones is obviously playing with no confidence so this team needs to be a little more conservative and limit the opposition to perimeter chances.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Well I guess it's ride or die with Jones from here on out

So are sharks planning to win the cup outshooting everyone 35-25 and winning 5-4 lol

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
being that Jones is playing like he has cataracts in both eyes, the only thing giving me hope is that he always seems to turn it up in the playoffs. However, this team cannot allow as many odd man rushes as they do. A lot of their point shots are getting blocked and all of our forwards have been caught low looking to tip pucks or bang in rebounds.

This team cannot rely solely on point shots, they have to take shots from closer range because then we’ll have at least 3 players back in the case of a turnover. Jones is obviously playing with no confidence so this team needs to be a little more conservative and limit the opposition to perimeter chances.

have you been watching the same sharks as I am? sure Jones isn't lights out good and has not stolen a win for us in a while but saying we only attack from the point is wrong. We have many dangerous opportunities from everywhere on the ice now. Hertl comes to mind. Couture comes to mind. Kaner comes to mind. Meier, Labanc/Thornton all create from down low/side boards. I would say we need to finish on our breakaways and 2 on 1 but other that that our offense isn't a one trick pony like before

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Martin Jones has said when he got here, he plays better when he gets a lot of shots. So im not surprised theres been a learning curve not only for him, but as the team learned to play with the way EK added dynamic to our team. I will say that his .890 or whtever % may not be the best, but it holds a lot of experience on knowing how the team needs to play in order to win with him. I'm glad Doug gave the vote of confidence, because it will mean a lot going forward. Also, Jones is a great playoff goalie. And Aaron Dell is a great back up for this team, stylistically, if we ever need to match the enthusiasm at both ends.

All we need is a Jonsie chant when he's hitting all cylanders. And that will go a long way.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

So are sharks planning to win the cup outshooting everyone 35-25 and winning 5-4 lol
giphy.gif

Reactions: Phu

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Jones's leash is gonna be VERY short if he stinks it up in the first couple of playoff games. If DW has to call up Korenar to clean up his mess he will. DW has done everything he can to ice the best roster SJ has ever had and if Jones f***s it up, you can bet your ass his terrible untradable contract will be bought out in the offseason.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Jones's leash is gonna be VERY short if he stinks it up in the first couple of playoff games. If DW has to call up Korenar to clean up his mess he will. DW has done everything he can to ice the best roster SJ has ever had and if Jones ****s it up, you can bet your ass his terrible untradable contract will be bought out in the offseason.

I can’t see, even if Jones sucks in the playoffs, Korenar getting a sniff of the NHL this year let alone being thrown into a playoff situation.

This should be an eye opener for Jones....the big guys are showing confidence in you by not trading for an insurance policy.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I can’t see, even if Jones sucks in the playoffs, Korenar getting a sniff of the NHL this year let alone being thrown into a playoff situation.

This should be an eye opener for Jones....the big guys are showing confidence in you by not trading for an insurance policy.

It wouldn't be unprecedented. Pittsburgh had to do this a few years back when MAF began to suck and Zatkoff got injured. That's how meme goalie Matt Murray came to be. The Penguins were rumored to be the team going after Ben Bishop the hardest that trade deadline.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It wouldn't be unprecedented. Pittsburgh had to do this a few years back when MAF began to suck and Zatkoff got injured. That's how meme goalie Matt Murray came to be. The Penguins were rumored to be the team going after Ben Bishop the hardest that trade deadline.

It would be unprecedented to buy him out and financially prohibitive. Don’t pretend like Korenar would clean anything up.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
have you been watching the same sharks as I am? sure Jones isn't lights out good and has not stolen a win for us in a while but saying we only attack from the point is wrong. We have many dangerous opportunities from everywhere on the ice now. Hertl comes to mind. Couture comes to mind. Kaner comes to mind. Meier, Labanc/Thornton all create from down low/side boards. I would say we need to finish on our breakaways and 2 on 1 but other that that our offense isn't a one trick pony like before

We still attack primarily from the point. When the team gets under pressure their first instinct is too ring the puck around the boards to the point for a shot. On the rush, even with an open lane or numbers the puck carrier always pulls up to throw the puck up high to the trailing player which is very f***ing stupid because if the pass misses then the other team has numbers going the other way. Wasn’t that Melker a couple of games ago that pretty much had a breakaway and opted to throw it back to the point to Goodrow who was heading off for a change?

This team is hardwired to throw the puck up high which leads to a lot of the odd man chances for the other team. I watch Tampa for instance and on their 3 on 2’s instead of pulling up, they have two players driving the net and the puck carrier either carries the puck low if the defenders back off and gets a clean shot off or if the defenders step up, the puck carrier shoots at the pads for a rebound or tries to saucer a pass towards the net. Low risk, high danger. The sharks have to consider that with goaltending being as unreliable as it has been.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Perhaps an even better example is Johan Hedberg, current Sharks goalie coach.

In 2001 Hedberg was in the minors, with his rights owned by Sharks. But he was behind Nabby, Kipper and Toskala in the depth chart, so he was traded to the Pens in 2001, but went directly to Pittsburgh...and led them to the ECF.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
At this point we live by Jones or die by him. So hopefully he can bring back his form from 2016. Dell has inspired 0 confidence in his games this year. So if Jones can't or doesn't step up we are truly f***ed. While I would love if either of our ahl goalies could step in and save us, but by all accounts I have seen neither are ready yet. So go Jones,....I guess.

As for our long term prospects; I really hope we open up the goaltending job to all our prospects and hope bibeau or korenar can slide into the back up role. If next off season we have the cap space to go after a good goaltender we have bigger issues because that means Karlsson has walked.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
hopefully he does what he usually does and goes into playoff mode after the tdl

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
At this point we live by Jones or die by him. So hopefully he can bring back his form from 2016. Dell has inspired 0 confidence in his games this year. So if Jones can't or doesn't step up we are truly ****ed. While I would love if either of our ahl goalies could step in and save us, but by all accounts I have seen neither are ready yet. So go Jones,....I guess.

As for our long term prospects; I really hope we open up the goaltending job to all our prospects and hope bibeau or korenar can slide into the back up role. If next off season we have the cap space to go after a good goaltender we have bigger issues because that means Karlsson has walked.

Or on LTIR.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I think I'm the only one left that's optimistic about him playing well come the back end of the season. He has still shown patches where he is really good for a few games in a row. Just it mostly ends in a 6 goal against game. :dunno:

If we get solid goal tending in the playoffs and have everyone healthy, we are legit.

Jul 10, 2010
I think I'm the only one left that's optimistic about him playing well come the back end of the season. He has still shown patches where he is really good for a few games in a row. Just it mostly ends in a 6 goal against game. :dunno:

If we get solid goal tending in the playoffs and have everyone healthy, we are legit.
as an LA Rams fan that watched Suh coast all regular season only to turn it up in the playoffs, i have faith as well.

The regular season can be draining, players can afford to take games off and have the others around them pick up the pace for them.

OverTheLine

May 11, 2011
Goalies are gonna have down seasons, it happens and is inevitable, but... Jones picked a horribly annoying time to do it, given the fact that this is probably a top-3 best squad the Sharks have ever iced on paper. At this point it almost feels like the Sharks' destiny to have incredible teams flame out early in the playoffs behind mediocre goaltending.

Here's hoping the regular season is irrelevant and Jones catches fire when the chips are down.

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
Goalies are gonna have down seasons, it happens and is inevitable, but... Jones picked a horribly annoying time to do it, given the fact that this is probably a top-3 best squad the Sharks have ever iced on paper. At this point it almost feels like the Sharks' destiny to have incredible teams flame out early in the playoffs behind mediocre goaltending.

Here's hoping the regular season is irrelevant and Jones catches fire when the chips are down.

Jones isn't going to catch fire if the team keeps hanging him out to dry. Period

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad