GWT: PL Matchweek 14

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Anyway, Liverpool have an 11 point lead at the top of the table.

Spurs are only 6 points back of Chelsea. If United win they’ll also be 6 back, and if Arsenal win they’ll be 5 back.

Top 4 race is far from over.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well. It is standard practice for the goalkeeper to be allowed to set up the wall. Clearly they can´t do that anymore if refs are blowing the whistle at any time.

You could argue the goalkeeper shouldn´t be the one adjusting the wall, but considering this is how it is always done I have to agree with YNWA (the most partisan poster on this board of course, but this time I think he/she is right).

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The fact that even after West Ham's pathetic run they're 4 points back of Tottenham in 5th is crazy.

Hot take: if Fabianski didn't get injured West Ham is above Tottenham in sole possession of 5th place right now.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well. It is standard practice for the goalkeeper to be allowed to set up the wall. Clearly they can´t do that anymore if refs are blowing the whistle at any time.

You could argue the goalkeeper shouldn´t be the one adjusting the wall, but considering this is how it is always done I have to agree with YNWA (the most partisan poster on this board of course, but this time I think he/she is right).

The bolded clearly isn’t true unless I missed AB13 being banned....

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think almost all of you guys don’t even know the rules of the sport you watch. The attacking team is no longer allowed to put players in the wall the defense sets up. They did anyway. The goal shouldn’t have stood.

It has nothing to do with the players not being ready. VAR is also supposed to correct this, but it didn’t. So again, as I say all the time, Atkinson should be sacked for not knowing the rules. That kind of thing will actually cost a team important points at some stage.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think almost all of you guys don’t even know the rules of the sport you watch. The attacking team is no longer allowed to put players in the wall the defense sets up. They did anyway. The goal shouldn’t have stood.

It has nothing to do with the players not being ready.

The last part was why people arguing Why it shouldn’t be a goal if there’s a rule change about attackers in the wall that’s a separate issue.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

It has nothing to do with the players not being ready. VAR is also supposed to correct this, but it didn’t. So again, as I say all the time, Atkinson should be sacked for not knowing the rules. That kind of thing will actually cost a team important points at some stage.
I mentioned this as well.

The thing is that while the waiting for the keeper to organize the wall from the post is not a rule the ref always waits for them to do it. I have never seen a ref blow early like that before.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Is that something VAR actually reviews? I know there’s a bunch of stuff around restarts that for some reason they decided to not let VAR review (rolling ball on restart, etc)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That de Bruyne goal was insane, one of the best I've seen considering how off-balance he was yet how perfectly/accurately he nailed that shot. Unbelievable technique, top 5 player in the world easily.

How Man City lost is pretty much how the season has gone for them and how Liverpool is on the total opposite of the spectrum. Fluke plays lead to them dropping points and fluke goals lead to Liverpool being able to squeeze out wins.

Love Mou.

As long as it's not a woman for him, if it was a ballgirl instead of a ballboy then he can eventually blame the entire losing season on a "distraction" as he calls it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is that something VAR actually reviews? I know there’s a bunch of stuff around restarts that for some reason they decided to not let VAR review (rolling ball on restart, etc)

They are allowed to in this case and Liverpool should have been given a free kick.

Honestly, allowing the whole thing in the first place makes it seem like he had a bet for Liverpool to win 2-1.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They are allowed to in this case and Liverpool should have been given a free kick.

Honestly, allowing the whole thing in the first place makes it seem like he had a bet for Liverpool to win 2-1.
Wonder what the odds for VVD Hat Trick was today. Though he had it for a second too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
As a goalie, I was always taught that you set up your wall as fast as possible because the referee doesn't wait on you.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

There's no one in the wall?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 2.23.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 2.23.40 PM.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 6

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As a goalie, I was always taught that you set up your wall as fast as possible because the referee doesn't wait on you.

Yea there's no rule that they have to wait, it's just universal that once the ref signals you can't restart until his whistle he'll give both teams the chance to be ready for the restart.

As I mentioned, my best guess, without seeing the entire play only highlights, is that Atkinson thinks Adrian has had enough time to set his wall and is unnecessarily taking extra time to set it.

As for VAR not overturning it, if indeed VAR is allowed to check that, my guess is they don't deem it a "clear and obvious error" since the Brighton player wasn't interfering in the wall in any way. He has to be a yard away and at the time of the kick he was probably 1.5-2 feet away. The spirit of the rule is to prevent attacking players from interrupting the wall and having players fight for space/waste time and he didn't do that. Although he violated the letter of the law, VAR might not have considered it clear and obvious error since he didn't violate the spirit of the law, similar to how they've chosen to interpret the goalie off the line rule on penalties.

Also just Atkinson being Atkinson...

Also, whatever I'm seeing on VAR seems to indicate man in wall can't be reviewed since they, by rule, don't review anything about restarts. Rolling ball, ball out of the quadrant for a corner, goal kick violation, etc. I'm not sure why that would be treated uniquely.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

The opponent has to be one yard away. He is clearly not. At the time of the free kick that is more like a foot.

It's pretty darn close. Also arguable that Henderson isn't part of the wall and it's only a two man wall at the time of the kick.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 3.09.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 3.09.10 PM.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 3

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's pretty darn close. Also arguable that Henderson isn't part of the wall and it's only a two man wall at the time of the kick.

The wall is more like a clump of 5 and I also thought that they had enough time to set it up pre-Dunks kick.

Again it was a slimy way to score, but Dunk did what he should do 100 times out of 100.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Atkinson is on VAR for the Merseyside Derby on Wednesday. The referee? That would be Mike Dean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad