Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think adding Mccann and ERod to the 4th line will go a long way. A bottom 6 of BART and DOC-Mccann-Erod is not bad. Unsure how much production that bottom 6 provides though,

The 3rd line has been very productive. What makes it even more impressive is that they are doing that production while playing the other teams best forwards and starting mostly in the defensive zone.

4th line will be plenty productive for the minutes they will be playing with McCann as a legit 3rd line player on it and Rodriguez and Sceviour are both legit 4th line players. O'Conner has upside and Lafferty and Jankowski are also okay for 4th line. We are talking 4th line everyone. 6-8 minutes a game.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
The 3rd line has been very productive. What makes it even more impressive is that they are doing that production while playing the other teams best forwards and starting mostly in the defensive zone.

4th line will be plenty productive for the minutes they will be playing with McCann as a legit 3rd line player on it and Rodriguez and Sceviour are both legit 4th line players. O'Conner has upside and Lafferty and Jankowski are also okay for 4th line. We are talking 4th line everyone. 6-8 minutes a game.
So, when fully healthy...

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Zucker Malkin Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
McCann Jankowski Rodriguez
Sceviour

Dumoulin Letang
Matheson Marino
Pettersson Ceci
Riikola Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Taxi: (Lafferty, O’Connor, Joseph, Weber, 2 Goalies)

Reactions: Trade

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rossi says Crosby's 1000th game - and the pregame celebration - shows the value of keeping 87-71-58 together through the end of their careers.

I don't doubt that there is value in keeping them all together. Problem is, while feely feels are great and all, there are other major factors that tug at the brain and heart.

Like, if they lay an egg again this year and genuinely aren't even close...does being with your bud begin to trump winning again? Letang or Geno, maybe. Sid? I would be not. At the end of Geno and Letang's deals, they will be old...let's not kid ourselves. While Ovechkin may be able to nab $10mil, he's still putting up major goal totals. Letang and Geno, not so much. Would Geno take $7mil? Would Letang take $6mil? Those would be good value prices relative to what they bring at that age and give us more money to bring in support. Are they willing to leave money on the table to do that? No? Is keeping them together and paying the raises at the cost of cap and depth worth the feely feelings? To Geno or Malkin? To Sid? Thank Rossi for a sweet loving article. Unfortunately, reality is a cruel bitch.

Zucker for Miller
Dumo for Lowry,2nd
2nd for bennett
mccann for Kotkaniemi

Guentzel - Crosby - Kap
Malkin - Miller - Rust
Kotkaniemi - Lowry - Zar
Bennett - TB - Tanev

Zucker probably ain't returning Miller. But I like the bases. Maybe:

Dumo for Lowry + 2nd
Zucker+2nd for Miller
McCann for Bennett

Jake-Sid-Rust
Miller-Geno-Kappy
Bennett-Lowry-XXX
BART

Reactions: ownal

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I recently discovered that "niemi" in Finnish is "peninsula". And that "kotka" is "eagle".

I wish I was named after an eagle peninsula :(

I'll never be able to speak a lick of Finnish, but I appreciate that weirdo language being similar to German in the way you figure some bafflingly long words out by breaking them down.

Järvi - Lake
Vesi - Water
Joki - River
Suu - Mouth
Joensuu - River's Mouth
Laine - Wave
Linna - Castle
Metsä - Forest
Puut - Tree
Kitti - Putty
Karhu - Bear

250px-Karhu_%28emblem%29.png

Someone who actually speaks the language can speak with a hell of a lot more authority than me on it, but I think those are right. Most nouns I could figure out the meaning of were quite literal. Suomenlinna - Castle of Finland. Once things start mixing with the Sámi languages it can get weirder (Oulu is named after a river, which is named after a lake...which is how you get a city whose name effectively means flood).

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
So, when fully healthy...

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Zucker Malkin Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger Tanev
McCann Jankowski Rodriguez
Sceviour

Dumoulin Letang
Matheson Marino
Pettersson Ceci
Riikola Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Taxi: (Lafferty, O’Connor, Joseph, Weber, 2 Goalies)

The top 4 wingers can be moved around but that is the basic idea of the lineup. I have the defensman exactly like that with POJ getting time in WBS instead of the practice squad or bench. Bench is fine for Ruhwedel and Riikola but not for a developing prospect with POJ's upside. I rather POJ get real game action than the practice squad. Unless we make a trade POJ best spot is WBS.

4th line has plenty of options once McCann and Rodriguez gets back.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think adding Mccann and ERod to the 4th line will go a long way. A bottom 6 of BART and DOC-Mccann-Erod is not bad. Unsure how much production that bottom 6 provides though,

I think you need someone better than DOC as the LW but I agree with you on McCann and ERod.

I think they need basically another Tanev clone for that line. Someone like Boone Jenner would be awesome IMO.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Rossi says Crosby's 1000th game - and the pregame celebration - shows the value of keeping 87-71-58 together through the end of their careers.

This article is classic Rossi. Last night was a great moment and all he had to do was write about it and why it was special for the three icons, with maybe a nostalgia-colored look ahead to what might be next considering the realities of the National Hockey League, age, money..etc. Instead, it's just another Personal Advocate for Geno special, this time with Letang mixed in, lecturing the front office and Mario on what they should do going forward. Team managers don't get paid to make decisions based on emotion. There are plenty of logical, fact-based reasons that you might want to keep the three together. What Sid Wants is great and all but that's not how the league works, and nobody knows that better than Sid. Things happen. If those two regress further, you can't really keep them unless the salaries are dramatically reduced, right? And nothing is more cringe-worthy than keeping guys around past their time. We're not at that point, and I'm not advocating blowing the core up yet, but this article does nothing for me. A few years ago, despite Rossi's annoying quirks, I thought his upcoming biography of Geno was going to be pretty interesting. Now I'm thinking it's just going to be one long weird defense of all things Geno. He lost his objectivity a long time ago.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think you need someone better than DOC as the LW but I agree with you on McCann and ERod.

I think they need basically another Tanev clone for that line. Someone like Boone Jenner would be awesome IMO.

I've not watched him for some time, but if he's still the same type of player he was I'd have interest in Ryan Hartman.

Reactions: SEALBound

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I may be alone here, but Lafferty has had himself a decent stretch of games lately. Once healthy, I have no issues with a Laff-McCann-EROD fourth line.

Would I entertain upgrades over Lafferty? Of course. But Lafferty isn’t gonna be losing us games, imo...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This article is classic Rossi. Last night was a great moment and all he had to do was write about it and why it was special for the three icons, with maybe a nostalgia-colored look ahead to what might be next considering the realities of the National Hockey League, age, money..etc. Instead, it's just another Personal Advocate for Geno special, this time with Letang mixed in, lecturing the front office and Mario on what they should do going forward. Team managers don't get paid to make decisions based on emotion. There are plenty of logical, fact-based reasons that you might want to keep the three together. What Sid Wants is great and all but that's not how the league works, and nobody knows that better than Sid. Things happen. If those two regress further, you can't really keep them unless the salaries are dramatically reduced, right? And nothing is more cringe-worthy than keeping guys around past their time. We're not at that point, and I'm not advocating blowing the core up yet, but this article does nothing for me. A few years ago, despite Rossi's annoying quirks, I thought his upcoming biography of Geno was going to be pretty interesting. Now I'm thinking it's just going to be one long weird defense of all things Geno. He lost his objectivity a long time ago.

When you get an article like that, the simplest thing to do is ask "what would his narrative have been had Tristan Jarry not stolen this game and the Penguins lost 5-3?"

I think he'd have been awfully quiet.

This does remind me to pick up some ice cream from the grocery store.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wish I was named after an eagle peninsula :(

I'll never be able to speak a lick of Finnish, but I appreciate that weirdo language being similar to German in the way you figure some bafflingly long words out by breaking them down.

Järvi - Lake
Vesi - Water
Joki - River
Suu - Mouth
Joensuu - River's Mouth
Laine - Wave
Linna - Castle
Metsä - Forest
Puut - Tree
Kitti - Putty
Karhu - Bear

250px-Karhu_%28emblem%29.png

Someone who actually speaks the language can speak with a hell of a lot more authority than me on it, but I think those are right. Most nouns I could figure out the meaning of were quite literal. Suomenlinna - Castle of Finland. Once things start mixing with the Sámi languages it can get weirder (Oulu is named after a river, which is named after a lake...which is how you get a city whose name effectively means flood).
Why does that Bear have the expression of trusting a fart that wasn't a fart while having the runs?

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Yes, but Detroit is probably trying to get out of Neilsen’s deal so just speaking hypothetical.
I can't believe I'm saying this but...at this point, I'd take soon to be UFA Glendening over Jank (as long as it was a very minor trade). Still a offensive blackhole but at least we get a lot better faceoff and PK guy.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
They never should've let Archibald go to begin with.

Since 2017.

Tanev: 225(GP), 37(G), 41(A), 78(P)

Archibald: 192(GP), 33(G), 27(A), 61(P)

Obviously, Tanev is the better player. He's also signed at $3.5M over the next 4 years. Archibald is making $1.5M a season for one more season. I'm not saying that intangibles Tanev brings don't go unnoticed, I'm just saying when you're a cap strapped team, you shouldn't go out and commit that long to a bottom-six guy.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I’m down for a McCann-Archibald swap.
BART
DOC-Jank-Archibald

You have to be kidding? That is laughably bad. All give a hard pass. McCann on the 4th line is better with Rodriguez, O'Conner, Sceviour, Lafferty, and Jankowski. Any communication of them is better than that line you proposed. Glad HF has nothing to do with who we trade for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad