Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Have you ever heard the phrase that goes something along the lines of:

You can shear a sheep 100 times but only skin it once.
I get HIS mindset. But he was working for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and I’d rather have a GM who goes all out in his time with this franchise.

Maybe that’s not realistic, but it irritates me a little when the dude was acting like he had a long career ahead of himself when he was in his late 60s-early 70s, with a franchise that has a very small window to compete.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ron Hextall Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

See for yourself. Fact is, JR has made more notable trades in the last 3 years than Hextall has ever. Makes me a bit nervous. Pretty good at getting picks though.

The Lehtora, 1st, cond 1st for Schenn is probably his biggest and best.

That's probably decently close to be honest. I figure Dumo is worth at least 2 2nds, but more likely 1st+A prospect or 1st+2nd.

I think 2nd+Lowry is consistent with the 2 2nds price tag and given our need for a quality bottom 6 center, I would probably do it. I would then hope for the McCann for Bennett swap and run a line of Bennett-Lowry-ERod/DOC/Jank. I think that would be a great bottom 6 line and with BART as the other, it does open up a lot of options for us.

Indeed. I think he got highly overrated early in his career but he's one I would love to have in our bottom 6. Same with Greenway.
I'm more concerned about the quality he extracted from those moves. I should have phrased it better. My concern is that he garners good return. Thanks for that by the way. And he does indeed seem to get a solid return.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm more concerned about the quality he extracted from those moves. I should have phrased it better. My concern is that he garners good return. Thanks for that by the way. And he does indeed seem to get a solid return.
It aint no Naslund for Stojanov.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
and too often over paid

Occasionally. The times we say he overpaid there are an equal number where we hit a homerun. Looking back, not many of the "overpays" have resulted in much lost using the performance of the player traded and the player selected with the pick as guides.

I guess? The Schenn and Coburn trades, absolutely. The rest...meh.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Would you guys do Kapanen+ for Arvidsson? Maybe in a different deal since people are hell bent on getting rid of Zucker he can be part of a different deal to Preds to be reunited with Granlund.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would you guys do Kapanen+ for Arvidsson? Maybe in a different deal since people are hell bent on getting rid of Zucker he can be part of a different deal to Preds to be reunited with Granlund.

Depends on the plus but I'm not sure what Arvidsson does for us that Kapanen can't. I'd rather Zucker for Arvy. Or better yet, someone for Forsberg.

Maybe even Dumoulin+ for Jarnkrok+Kunin

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Depends on the plus but I'm not sure what Arvidsson does for us that Kapanen can't. I'd rather Zucker for Arvy. Or better yet, someone for Forsberg.

Maybe even Dumoulin+ for Jarnkrok+Kunin
I could live with that Dumo deal, gets us a young guy who I believe is a fast skater and a nice 3C.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Gotta worry about the expansion draft. Unless you think that gets the Pens close to a Cup.

I think we are going to have big issues anyway if Matheson keeps playing the way he does. I didn't think Kunin needed protection, but I could be wrong.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Virtanen is a bull with no brains. But with direction he's a kid that will do what's needed. He's essentially about as smart as Kassian but more gifts offensively. Green just gave up on him and isn't the best with projects at all. Virtanen is a project. The issue there is that they've seen what he could do but he hasn't been able to for a while and it's time to shit or get off the pot.

The issue is he's so comfortable in Vancouver even with the benchings etc that he hasn't gotten it through his head, trade to make him grow up. McCann had the same issues in Vancouver as well as a lot of others.

I think he's one of those players that if the Pens got him I'd throw him on the 4th line with Jank and McCann and go with that. Has a bit of everything.

I mean for me I would rather have Virtanen over Lafferty with the higher ceiling and in the same spot currently in the line up. No way Vancouver has any leverage to get a great return for him. He's more or less a swap for another young forward that needs a swap.

Sceviour + Lafferty for Virtanen.

Guentzel, Crosby, Kapanen
Zucker, Malkin, Rust
Aston-Reese, Blueger, Tanev
Jankowski/McCann, McCann/Jankowski, Virtanen

I'd still look for a way to dump Dumoulin for picks. I think Hextall (still weird to say) could get a 2nd and 4th for him to a team desperate for a 2nd pairing LHD with cup experience and can log big minutes.

Isn’t his cap hit like 2.55m? That’s a lot for throwing someone on the 4th line.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Isn’t his cap hit like 2.55m? That’s a lot for throwing someone on the 4th line.

As a typical 4th line warm body, yes, that is expensive

As an effective player, that is fine...is he effective? aaaaaaaaaaaaaah dunno

Shit, the Pens paying like 30mil for this defense lol

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Deepest defense in the NHL. Also, TOP5 talent-wise. If Matheson-Marino works, we are golden in this area. Massive potential on that pairing.

Reactions: EightyOne

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I've never gotten the notion that you shouldn't break the bank on a defense. Like they are 40% of the guys on the ice aside from your goalie. So why wouldn't you just net out what you pay your goalies and then allocate 40% to your defense?

The average defenseman plays more than the average forward, therefore they should be paid more. That's my simpleton brain anyway.

Reactions: EightyOne

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've never gotten the notion that you shouldn't break the bank on a defense. Like they are 40% of the guys on the ice aside from your goalie. So why wouldn't you just net out what you pay your goalies and then allocate 40% to your defense?

The average defenseman plays more than the average forward, therefore they should be paid more. That's my simpleton brain anyway.

I had a "per line/pairing" break down based on anticipated ice time of the salary cap. I'll try to find it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I had a "per line/pairing" break down based on anticipated ice time of the salary cap. I'll try to find it.

I've always been into the "Nashville model + Crosby/Malkin" idea. Even going back to the offseason where we signed Martin and Z. Michalek I was stoked. Too bad about David Steckel.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think he could be used in the top 9.

Tanev, Blueger, Virtanen would be a good look. But yeah he'd start on the 4th until he is ready to move up. But a bloke with that pedigree. You have to take a shot at that. It's what we hope Lafferty shows but hasn't yet. Virtanen has but they don't really know what to do with him.

I've seen him a lot here. And yes I'm biased as I've wanted him as a return for Pouliot in the past (@Tom Hanks dont you dare look for that post too you wanker). But being here I've had opportunities to see him. Gaudette is the other I'd love to dump Lafferty for and would settle for Gaudette if Virtanen has a higher cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad