Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I am of the opinion, that, actually, the bottom six is fine as-is. Boom.

Agreed, I think the personnel for a good 4th line is in the org/on this team, there just needs to be some tinkering.

Expecting Jank (and his 700k contract)or any 4th line center to score as much as some here want is a little lofty of an expectation. We just need a 4th line that can not get scored on and maybe pot a goal every like 8-10 games

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think most of us knew Jankowski wouldn't be the third line center all season.

Blueger has earned his spot. I like the third line the way it is, I honestly see no reason to upgrade there. The second line is still garbage. Malkin is playing poorly, that's affecting Zucker. They obviously don't fit together. Sullivan has shuffled every line except the second line LW. The fourth line is also pretty bad.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Tanev, Blueger, Virtanen would be a good look. But yeah he'd start on the 4th until he is ready to move up. But a bloke with that pedigree. You have to take a shot at that. It's what we hope Lafferty shows but hasn't yet. Virtanen has but they don't really know what to do with him.
Lafferty and Virtanen both have the same number of points so far this season. (One.) What exactly does Virtanen show?

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I am not big on trades being a panacea when our biggest issues (other than old team/slow start and “message”) are almost entirely to do with our star players not being in peak shape (Malkin, Guentzel in primis) and injuries.

But.... I would like it if management were actively looking to see what is out there for McCann for when he returns. He is not a top 9C on this team, and he is not good enough to be a top6 winger. He doesnt fit with any needs we have and Sully likes him too much. Yes his versatility is nice and he is a good player, but I’d rather have someone fitting a role to a T and test youngsters when there’s a hole.

When Dumo is back we’re going to see what he is like, because it would be unacceptable to see POJ’s low cap-hit wasted, when he can obviously play in this league. If Dumo looks like he is skating well, I’d look to trade Petts who I think is OK, but without upside. Otherwise Dumo, but I fear he is integral to our PK being meaningful when it matters.

Last edited:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The 4th line is a joke, IMO. But with McCann and...ugh, ERod, back I think it’ll be ok down the road.

A real issue that I hope gets straightened out soon is the play of Jake. I don’t know what is going on with him this year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Agreed, I think the personnel for a good 4th line is in the org/on this team, there just needs to be some tinkering.

Expecting Jank (and his 700k contract)or any 4th line center to score as much as some here want is a little lofty of an expectation. We just need a 4th line that can not get scored on and maybe pot a goal every like 8-10 games
When we signed Jank, many people defended it by saying he could easily bounce back and become a 25 point player again. He hasn’t scored a point in 14 games, and is a -4 this season. When you are incapable of scoring, you can’t give up a single goal, which isn’t happening. He was an awful signing, but continues to play. Low risk, low reward. Sure, he’s cheap, but he’s awful.

Lafferty and Scevioir aren’t even worth wasting time discussing.

Maybe the line will be better once Sully demotes Kap to the fourth line to give ERod more minutes when he comes back from injury. McCann will knock out one of these clowns as well.

We simply cannot afford a single injury at forward at this point. Look at the giant turds that get to play when someone is out.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
When we signed Jank, many people defended it by saying he could easily bounce back and become a 25 point player again. He hasn’t scored a point in 14 games, and is a -4 this season. When you are incapable of scoring, you can’t give up a single goal, which isn’t happening. He was an awful signing, but continues to play. Low risk, low reward. Sure, he’s cheap, but he’s awful.

Maybe the line will be better once Sully denotes Kap to the fourth line to give ERod more minutes when he comes back from injury. McCann will knock out one of these clowns as well.

Jank was exactly the kind of signing a GM should/has to make when a global pandemic f***s up the cap expectations and you need bodies. Hard to pan going for someone with NHL experience, potential bounce back upside/draft pedigree who can be waived at zero cost if it doesn’t pay off.

Reactions: ncm7772

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

Maybe the line will be better once Sully demotes Kap to the fourth line to give ERod more minutes when he comes back from injury. McCann will knock out one of these clowns as well.

We simply cannot afford a single injury at forward at this point. Look at the giant turds that get to play when someone is out.

A 4th line of DOC/Laff- McCann - Erod wouldnt be that bad tbh

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jank was exactly the kind of signing a GM should/has to make when a global pandemic f***s up the cap expectations and you need bodies. Hard to pan going for someone with NHL experience, potential bounce back upside/draft pedigree who can be waived at zero cost if it doesn’t pay off.
Hopefully he is gone once McCann comes back.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
As it stands all we need is a competent player to put with McCann. I figure we can make the other 4th line spot work with who we got but 1 more decent forward would go a long way.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I believe the new brass are making some assessments as to what can be done to improve the roster. I also think sully will need to change his thinking on what he thinks works best. He needs to be told in a not so subtle way we need more grit and balance to this roster. While Hextall did change the flyers into more skill less bully, he sees value in having some sandpaper with size to keep things on the up and up. Burke certainly will push for more of that.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I agree, we have the forwards to get it done. Now if Sullivan could get the right combinations and leave them alone that would be nice.

Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
McCann-Rodriguez-Scevior
O'Connor-Jankowski-Lafferty

The top 9 are strong. Out 3rd line is one of the best in hockey. Not only do they go up against the other teams top forwards and start in their defensive zone the majority of the time but they actually control the play and outscore them. Blueger is the 3C we have been looking for.

4th line plays 6-8 minutes a game and we have 6 forwards I am fine playing those spots. Pens really need nothing at this time. I am not against adding a top 6 forward to better our chances. All that does is move that newly acquired top 6 forward to our 4th line or bumps Kapanen or Zucker to the 4th line. Seems like overkill. I wouldn't touch the 3rd line.

Thought we needed goaltending but Jarry might prove me wrong. Good for him!

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Such a charmer.:sarcasm:

Reactions: ncm7772

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I believe the new brass are making some assessments as to what can be done to improve the roster. I also think sully will need to change his thinking on what he thinks works best. He needs to be told in a not so subtle way we need more grit and balance to this roster. While Hextall did change the flyers into more skill less bully, he sees value in having some sandpaper with size to keep things on the up and up. Burke certainly will push for more of that.

That scares me. I see 2018 vibes. I hope they don't mess up this team. After a slow start to the season they actually have one of the best records in the East since our two preseason flyers games. Considering we literally had 5 defensman out for half that stretch and our goaltending started off terrible this team has been amazingly resilient.

I wouldn't rush to make any changes yet now that things have settled down with the goaltending. Pens have the defensman they need, goaltending actually might be fine also, and our forward group is fine also. One of the best 3rd lines in hockey and if you can't win with those wingers on your top 2 lines then it is a coaching problem. 4th line has plenty of decent options for a 4th line. People do know that 4th lines play 6-8 minutes a game and players like McCann, Sceviour, Rodriguez, and frankly all of those guys are fine for that workload.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

while we certainly could use a little more long pants, the biggest roster problem is in our top six...too many grinder types and not enough skill...as someone said in another thread, Sully doesn’t like the Euro skill players but we need someone else to drive play in the top six because Sid and G aren’t the same exceptional play drivers anymore 5 on 5...what we need is a Pasta, Panarin, Marner etc...Kap isn’t getting it done, neither is Zucker

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Zucker for Miller
Dumo for Lowry,2nd
2nd for bennett
mccann for Kotkaniemi

Guentzel - Crosby - Kap
Malkin - Miller - Rust
Kotkaniemi - Lowry - Zar
Bennett - TB - Tanev

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The problem's when you build a top heavy forward line-up with almost all your offense concentrated in your top 6 - with a bottom 6 that isn't designed to score - then your 2nd line starts sputtering.

We need to fix the 2nd line and add some offense to the bottom 6 to diversify things a bit. Our offense has been been very one-dimensional this year...especially with the PP struggling as much as it has.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The problem's when you build a top heavy forward line-up with almost all your offense concentrated in your top 6 - with a bottom 6 that isn't designed to score - then your 2nd line starts sputtering.

We need to fix the 2nd line and add some offense to the bottom 6 to diversify things a bit. Our offense has been been very one-dimensional this year...especially with the PP struggling as much as it has.
How do you propose to fix the 2nd line if Geno continues to not play very well?

Reactions: ChaosAgent

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I am not big on trades being a panacea when our biggest issues (other than old team/slow start and “message”) are almost entirely to do with our star players not being in peak shape (Malkin, Guentzel in primis) and injuries.

But.... I would like it if management were actively looking to see what is out there for McCann for when he returns. He is not a top 9C on this team, and he is not good enough to be a top6 winger. He doesnt fit with any needs we have and Sully likes him too much. Yes his versatility is nice and he is a good player, but I’d rather have someone fitting a role to a T and test youngsters when there’s a hole.

When Dumo is back we’re going to see what he is like, because it would be unacceptable to see POJ’s low cap-hit wasted, when he can obviously play in this league. If Dumo looks like he is skating well, I’d look to trade Petts who I think is OK, but without upside. Otherwise Dumo, but I fear he is integral to our PK being meaningful when it matters.

Actually we are not an old team. Rutherford did a great job keeping the team young around the core. All our starting defensman are in their 20's besides our core defensman Letang. Dumoulin 29, Matheson 26, and Pettersson 24 on the left side with 21 year old POJ in reserve until a worthy trade gives him his opening. On the RD side you have 24 Marino and 27 Ceci.

Forward spots are the same way with the only forward not in his 20's is Sceviour who doesn't even play every game. Pens are younger than the majority of the contenders such as Boston, Caps, Lightning, Vegas, Blues, and Leafs.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the Pens can move Letang and get assets picks and or prospects in combo back after this year, that starts the retool. Love to sign D Hamilton as a FA to fill that role. Pens do need to move some one at forward like Zucker as well. Pens need one or two bigger forwards who can drive the play in the tough zones and tough areas. Those concerned that going with more size and grit is not the way to go, the playoff record the last couple years is abysmal with your speed smurf play. 2016 was an one time only year. NO one has won with speed and right side of the puck nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino