Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
McCann - Jankowski - Lafferty and BART are good to become a thing so Kapanen is going to get scratched for Rodrigues in the top six.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Lafferty finally had a decent game. They don't come around too often.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
People keep glancing over that fact. That JR asks his coach which guys he wants to play his system and style and he chose these :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Yup. I've heard it on this board a lot... JR did this and JR did that. You can see it in the behind-the-scenes. None of this is done in a vacuum...

Sully like ERod and Janks.
Sully was not going to play Hornz. Newsflash- he not going to do well with any power forward types.
Sully was not going to play Pearson correctly
Sully misused Ole as a enforcer/D.
Etc...

That is why I don't want to trade Kap or Zucker.
A. we've wasted a ton of assets
B. the evidence points towards Sulllivan not knowing how to adjust to each players game

Bringing in another version of Pearson, Kap, Zucker, etc... is ZERO guarantee that it will work with L1 or L2 or Sullivan

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Here's an idea.

If Dallas ends up falling out of playoff contention, what about Pavelski? 7m per for the next 2 years, but can play C or RW and he could work all over the line-up.

Plus PP.

I was pissed we didn’t go after him but the more I watch this team, I’m not sure how much we’d get out of him. Our biggest need are play drivers right now and he ain’t that.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yup. I've heard it on this board a lot... JR did this and JR did that. You can see it in the behind-the-scenes. None of this is done in a vacuum...

Sully like ERod and Janks.
Sully was not going to play Hornz. Newsflash- he not going to do well with any power forward types.
Sully was not going to play Pearson correctly
Sully misused Ole as a enforcer/D.
Etc...

That is why I don't want to trade Kap or Zucker.
A. we've wasted a ton of assets
B. the evidence points towards Sulllivan not knowing how to adjust to each players game

Bringing in another version of Pearson, Kap, Zucker, etc... is ZERO guarantee that it will work with L1 or L2 or Sullivan
Don't get me wrong, Jr did f*** shit up but Sullivan wasn't as much of an accessory as he was an accomplice.

People keep acting like he was some bystander in all of this even while knowing him and Sarge basically begged JR to sign JJ. Then the idiot that is JR listened and gave him that contract.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Don't get me wrong, Jr did f*** shit up but Sullivan wasn't as much of an accessory as he was an accomplice.

People keep acting like he was some bystander in all of this even while knowing him and Sarge basically begged JR to sign JJ. Then the idiot that is JR listened and gave him that contract.

Completely agree, hence the vacuum comment. JR did crazy shit but it's also Sully and the coaches who approved it. They ALL loved JJ, it's the only way he got signed.

JJ was glued to the lineup like ERod.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I was pissed we didn’t go after him but the more I watch this team, I’m not sure how much we’d get out of him. Our biggest need are play drivers right now and he ain’t that.

Maybe Malkin could drive play again from the wing.

I know, I know it's verboten for a mid-30s center to move to a wing and never happens but, like, what if it did though?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Geno to wing just creates a headache. It means acquiring a better 2C, since McCann's a winger (with serious consistency and injury issues) and Blueger's the 3C. Jake is Sid's LW.

I just don't see how it makes any sense. Just opens up a can of worms, imo, and that's not even taking into account that you're asking a 35 year old who has always played C to adjust to wing all of the sudden. I know it's not unheard of, but I'm just not convinced Geno to wing does anything but create a bunch more issues.

I think you've just gotta hope Geno works his way out of this funk. He's in his own head too much, imo. Zero confidence in his game right now. You can (and probably should, just to see) swap Jake and Zucker to see if that does anything, but I'm pretty sure Geno's just a mess upstairs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Geno to wing just creates a headache. It means acquiring a better 2C, since McCann's a winger (with serious consistency and injury issues) and Blueger's the 3C. Jake is Sid's LW.

I just don't see how it makes any sense. Just opens up a can of worms, imo, and that's not even taking into account that you're asking a 35 year old who has always played C to adjust to wing all of the sudden. I know it's not unheard of, but I'm just not convinced Geno to wing does anything but create a bunch more issues.

I think you've just gotta hope Geno works his way out of this funk. He's in his own head too much, imo. Zero confidence in his game right now. You can (and probably should, just to see) swap Jake and Zucker to see if that does anything, but I'm pretty sure Geno's just a mess upstairs.

It's not hard to acquire a decent-enough 2C, at least not compared to the platonic ideal of wingers that we seemingly require for Sid & Geno now.

Geno played wing before and he did it quite well. Plenty of centers have adjusted to playing wing. It's not like wings can't be the primary playmakers on their lines. See Patrick Kane.

Geno as center has a finite shelf life IMO before he hurts you so much defensively that you can't justify it anymore. COVID or not, Jason Zucker or not, Geno's defensive deficiencies are catching up to us.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not hard to acquire a decent-enough 2C, at least not compared to the platonic ideal of wingers that we seemingly require for Sid & Geno now.

Geno played wing before and he did it quite well. Plenty of centers have adjusted to playing wing. It's not like wings can't be the primary playmakers on their lines. See Patrick Kane.

Geno as center has a finite shelf life IMO before he hurts you so much defensively that you can't justify it anymore. COVID or not, Jason Zucker or not, Geno's defensive deficiencies are catching up to us.
I really disagree that it'll be easier to find a good 2C to play with Geno than it'd be to find a LW. Centers are always more expensive. It took us like 4 years to fix the hole Bonino left, and we never did from the outside--Blueger just grew into the 3C role. Tons of assets and time thrown into the fire for no result. We just got lucky one of our prospects eventually worked.

I just don't see how it makes sense. If you can't afford a winger to play with Geno, you're not going to be able to afford a center to fit the bill either. Circling back, I still don't see the problem being anything other than Geno's lack of confidence. If he can't make it work with the top-6 wingers he's got to play with, then I don't know what to tell ya, cuz we don't have the assets to land anything better.

If you wanna ship out someone like Petts or Dumo for a winger, I doubt he'll be as good or better than what we have available, and that's going to take precious time. If you want to flip those guys for picks/prospects, then flip that for said winger, still, clock's ticking.

We're not in a great spot when it comes to flexibility. We've gotta roll with what we've got, hope for the best, and that's that. The time for tinkering and that kinda thing is past, imo.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
What’s the consensus on Dumo vs Petts for our final LD spot when everyone is healthy?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I really disagree that it'll be easier to find a good 2C to play with Geno than it'd be to find a LW. Centers are always more expensive. It took us like 4 years to fix the hole Bonino left, and we never did from the outside--Blueger just grew into the 3C role. Tons of assets and time thrown into the fire for no result. We just got lucky one of our prospects eventually worked.

I just don't see how it makes sense. If you can't afford a winger to play with Geno, you're not going to be able to afford a center to fit the bill either. Circling back, I still don't see the problem being anything other than Geno's lack of confidence. If he can't make it work with the top-6 wingers he's got to play with, then I don't know what to tell ya, cuz we don't have the assets to land anything better.

We got Brassard, a good enough 2C and asked him to play 3C. Which he couldn't.

We have a very specialized view of what a 3C needed to bring that made this organization and this fanbase frankly just weird about that position on that line.
First we had a dominant 3C ogre in Staal, then later we had Bonino who led a "lightning in a bottle" line in 2016 then followed it up with being the best dang turtling defensive forward ever in 2017. His body was a shooting gallery lol. Then we replaced him with nothing (oh and traded a good C prospect for Reaves but whatever) and that was a huge mistake. Then we replaced nothing with Sheahan who was honestly good enough but lacked the OMG THE PENS 3C appeal, so we moved heaven and Earth and like 5 teams to acquire Brassard.

I don't think it'd be harder to find a good 2C with actual money than we made it on ourselves to find Staal-nino at a miniscule cap hit.

The idea would be to trade Zucker for that 2C (with Zucker presumably having value to the acquiring team). If Zucker has no value, then we really are f****d and have to just hope Geno turns back the clock 14 months.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Main board brought up that the Sabres have a need for a LD, have a glut of RD.

I think it's unlikely Matheson gets moved until he shows long-term that he can play somewhat close to his contract level. I think the choice will come down to Dumoulin vs Pettersson, and I'm inclined to keep Dumo.

I think you can drop Dumo down in the lineup, away from Letang, and he's still very serviceable. And I like his responsibility and smarts in his own zone compared to Pettersson.

Maybe Pens could target a MP for Montour or Miller swap. Or, if not a defenseman back, target someone like Cody Eakin to be a 3B center.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Main board brought up that the Sabres have a need for a LD, have a glut of RD.

I think it's unlikely Matheson gets moved until he shows long-term that he can play somewhat close to his contract level. I think the choice will come down to Dumoulin vs Pettersson, and I'm inclined to keep Dumo.

I think you can drop Dumo down in the lineup, away from Letang, and he's still very serviceable. And I like his responsibility and smarts in his own zone compared to Pettersson.

Maybe Pens could target a MP for Montour or Miller swap. Or, if not a defenseman back, target someone like Cody Eakin to be a 3B center.

I agree that Dumo is probably the one to keep but..
Why are you trying to get a RD? Ceci and Ruhwedel have been more than fine as bottom pair guys. Cody Eakin is bad now, he’s a straight up 4C, if that. Not even really an upgrade on Jankowski.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What’s the consensus on Dumo vs Petts for our final LD spot when everyone is healthy?

Dumo is better but Petts might play slightly better game to go with Ceci. And Pettersson was better in that tiny sample this year.

If one would bring back a significantly better return than the other, trade that guy. If it’s close/similar— I’d say you probably move Dumoulin.

Does it make sense to shed Petts’ term though?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Dumoulin is better, but he wasn’t to start this year. So I dunno.
I definitely feel more comfortable going for a series win or two with Dumo over Petts, but Dumo has been fighting injury for the better part of a year so I’d imagine they’d wanna see how Dumo looks once back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad