Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Cos your life is an alcohol induced haze.

Hehe, yeah git 'im!

Main board brought up that the Sabres have a need for a LD, have a glut of RD.

I think it's unlikely Matheson gets moved until he shows long-term that he can play somewhat close to his contract level. I think the choice will come down to Dumoulin vs Pettersson, and I'm inclined to keep Dumo.

I think you can drop Dumo down in the lineup, away from Letang, and he's still very serviceable. And I like his responsibility and smarts in his own zone compared to Pettersson.

Maybe Pens could target a MP for Montour or Miller swap. Or, if not a defenseman back, target someone like Cody Eakin to be a 3B center.

I agree that Dumo is probably the one to keep but..
Why are you trying to get a RD? Ceci and Ruhwedel have been more than fine as bottom pair guys. Cody Eakin is bad now, he’s a straight up 4C, if that. Not even really an upgrade on Jankowski.

I'd argue Petts is the one to keep.

And I'd only be trading a LD to Buffalo for a RD if: 1) we go through another ridiculous injury streak but then we may not have a LD to trade; 2) Ceci regresses significantly; 3) it's part of a three way trade that then sends this RD to another team for a different need.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
O
Look at the 2nd Isles goal of last game. Rust and Malkin blew the zone at the same time, but Rust curved back immediately... Malkin almost hit the opposing blue line

There's no excuse for that, not even playing with a broken rib or because you're about to be traded. You don't give up on your team like that. I can't imagine the anger I'd feel if I was on the bench and saw one of the "Leaders" just go for a skate. I'm sick of watching this guy. The entitled way he acts, he wants everything easy and gives up when it doesn't. I'm sick of knowing that you can tell how his entire game will go by his first shift. That he can't get emotionally invested in a game without someone shoving him around or the fans cheering for him. His skating has clearly declined, his hands can't push a puck past any defender. That doesn't happen over a few months, so let's be real here, his conditioning is awful. 9.5 mill salary and it's too much to stay in shape, too much to ask to put your stick in passing lanes, too much to stay in your own zone instead of skating to a different area code.

I'm done with him after that display last game, there's nothing anyone can say that can defend what he did.

Well he's no Craig Adams

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'd argue Petts is the one to keep.

I'd argue Dumo.

Dumo is a better partner for Letang. Dumo is proven in the playoffs. Dumo has FAR less 'up and downs' than we've seen from MP - Dumo has been a model of consistency for this club up until the start of this season.

I haven't liked anything about MP's game since he got his new contract. Statistically they may fare similar - but Dumo is consistently facing tougher matchups and ...well...playing with the mouth breather that is Letang. This team is going to need Letang playing even more risky going forward, and - as a result - is going to need Dumo there to cover for him.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't understand pointing out Malkin's defensive flaws.

He's always been mediocre defensively. No matter what system he played in, he's always been a defensive liability at times. Sure, he'll show flashes of a good defensive play or when he was really on in his prime he'd play great in all three zones, but for the most part, he's always been pretty below-average defensively, some would say even bad.

I expect it. I don't like it, and I'm sure Sullivan hates it given the fact that like any coach he has a soft spot for a certain kind of player. Sullivan likes two-way forwards with speed. Bylsma liked north and south grinders. Malkin isn't in his prime anymore. He isn't elite anymore. He's still a good player, he's being paid like he's elite. This is just the way it happens. Malkin had a great year last season, so I think he's far from being done. However, you need to help him offensively, knowing he's not going to be great defensively. Moving Guentzel with Malkin solves that. Zucker and Malkin didn't work in August, they won't work now.

Reactions: Andy99

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
He has size and speed, and scores 18 goals just last year, so might be a good buy low, change of scenery guy. Not saying it would be ideal, but it's a lot more realistic than the Forsbergs of the world..
It's realistic, but if it works as poorly here as it is in Vancouver, we're stuck with an unproductive player making $2.55M next season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's realistic, but if it works as poorly here as it is in Vancouver, we're stuck with an unproductive player making $2.55M next season.

Which isn’t that big of a deal imo because we have three unproductive players making close to that in Jank, ERod, Sceviour who we can just let walk.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Would you guys consider Gaudette and Virtanen for Petts?

McCann - Gaudette - Virtanen
Doesn't seem like a half bad line to me.

That’s not a good trade for us. A top 4 D man for 2 average players. Virtanen is a bit of a space cadet on the ice and how he conducts himself off ice is well known.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
Would you guys consider Gaudette and Virtanen for Petts?

McCann - Gaudette - Virtanen
Doesn't seem like a half bad line to me.
Yeh seems like a line good line with speed that should score and that would take some of the pressure off the BART line.

I’d like to wait and see what we have when McCann and Rodrigues are healthy, but that upside is intriguing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Virtanen may have size, but I don't think he's big enough to replace three players all by himself.

which is fine, because most of them aren’t actually seeing the ice. :laugh:

I don’t think Virtanen is necessarily a great add, but I don’t think his salary is really the limiting factor here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't understand pointing out Malkin's defensive flaws.

He's always been mediocre defensively. No matter what system he played in, he's always been a defensive liability at times. Sure, he'll show flashes of a good defensive play or when he was really on in his prime he'd play great in all three zones, but for the most part, he's always been pretty below-average defensively, some would say even bad.

I expect it. I don't like it, and I'm sure Sullivan hates it given the fact that like any coach he has a soft spot for a certain kind of player. Sullivan likes two-way forwards with speed. Bylsma liked north and south grinders. Malkin isn't in his prime anymore. He isn't elite anymore. He's still a good player, he's being paid like he's elite. This is just the way it happens. Malkin had a great year last season, so I think he's far from being done. However, you need to help him offensively, knowing he's not going to be great defensively. Moving Guentzel with Malkin solves that. Zucker and Malkin didn't work in August, they won't work now.

Yep..the issue with Malkin is not his defense and the fly bys he’s always done...it’s that he’s not producing offense...he knows it, he knows where his bread is buttered...I still think the biggest problem with this is in his head...he puts pressure on himself and that leads to making mistakes as he’s trying to make things happen and that leads to a further erosion of his confidence...vicious cycle ...his conditioning/skating may play into it but it’s a lesser problem...honestly, he just needs to focus on having fun out there and playing simple...I still think it’ll come

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK and vodeni

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can only imagine what Burke and Hexy are writing down as they watch the games...

Hexy: "Geno bad... Wait... Geno good, ew..., no, Geno bad again. C'mon Geno..... GENO!!! SHIT!

Burke: "Geno good... Wait.... Geno very good, yes, Geno orgasm....Go.... GENO!!! EXTASY CHASM!

They get together and talk....

Hexy: "Happy Birthday!!! Geno sucks..."
DecentVillainousIndochinahogdeer-max-1mb.gif

Burke: "I'm Not Even Sorry... Geno good...:)"
E72yFZP.gif

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He has size and speed, and scores 18 goals just last year, so might be a good buy low, change of scenery guy. Not saying it would be ideal, but it's a lot more realistic than the Forsbergs of the world..

Lol how is trading Petts buying low? Petts is a signed young top 4 defensemen. I swear people defensive dmen. Then are upset when we bleed goals

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Lol how is trading Petts buying low? Petts is a signed young top 4 defensemen. I swear people defensive dmen. Then are upset when we bleed goals
I'm not saying LiffLaff is that type of fan, but there's a certain type of fan who seems to believe that only the goalie is responsible for preventing goals against.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The hate being thrown at Geno in the media to equate him with Ben...lol...the situations aren’t remotely alike

I don't think he's quite there now, but they are just forecasting that it might go that way with Geno soon. For that matter, also with Letang.

I'll just say that as of right now I wouldn't give him $9.5M beyond next year. Maybe ask him for 3 years, $18M as his retirement deal.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
I'm not saying LiffLaff is that type of fan, but there's a certain type of fan who seems to believe that only the goalie is responsible for preventing goals against.
I used to play D, so no, I don't think it's all up to the goalie, but with LD beeing the one spot where we seem to have an abundance I'd use one of them to shore up the rest of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad