Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Malkin couldn't skate after he came back so his form in that series is a big *. You aren't going to do well when you can only really skate straight lines and your turning circle is.........

maxresdefault.jpg

Unfortunately that's what Malkin does nowadays too.

It POs me to no end that he never stops/starts in the defensive end. It's always loops. I remember actual stop and start last year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The last time a single Penguins anything was dangerous in the playoffs was Sid & Jake in 2018. Against Washington they won their matchup while Messel got caved shift after shift. It was clear then that Phil needed to go but fans idiotically cheerlead keeping him around or just blamed Maatta and Letang.

Neither here nor there. Anyway.

If we're going for nostalgia and things that worked in the past I'd start with Sid & Jake in 2018.
That was before the emergence of Rust as a PPG player. Jake-Geno-Rust wasn't tried in the playoffs. Not that I remember anyhow. Again, if it's not even tried this time round, then you're not doing all you can in trying to achieve success. Particularly when there is ample evidence to suggest it'd be a very formidable line.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, diagnosing anyone on this team from the internet is a fool's errand, but I'd be shocked if there weren't a bunch more undisclosed COVID-19 cases throughout the league that happened in the off-season and never got reported for whatever reason. I don't know if that's what's up with Geno (and some of the other suspects in the lack of conditioning department) but I'd be shocked if it wasn't affecting some players around the league.

I think if we're throwing out internet diagnosis on Geno and Jake and whoever, we should also consider that possibility too. :dunno:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think if we're throwing out internet diagnosis on Geno and Jake and whoever, we should also consider that possibility too. :dunno:
HF defending Malkin’s play on COVID and giving Jake a free pass for an injury that happened in 2019:

giphy.gif

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
HF defending Malkin’s play on COVID and giving Jake a free pass for an injury that happened in 2019:

giphy.gif

I mean, I'm willing to believe Jake's recovery might taking a while or never come back to full recovery-- that was a nasty injury. But like @Speaking Moistly said, I'm willing to give a potential pass to players that look like they're struggling with conditioning or sudden declines in play because, well, we're in a f***ing pandemic right now. :laugh:

It's like when everyone was convinced on this site that Sid had permanently damaged his brain and would need someone to feed him oatmeal every day for the rest of his life instead of having a nasty neck injury. (Not even getting into the conventional wisdom on this board that his high ankle sprain was really a knee injury and that he'd never skate again.)

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

giphy.gif

COVID does affect some guys more than others so it's possible.

Also the gyms were closed in Russia so potentially Geno is having some issues there.

Blaming Jake's issues with skating on his shoulder is...interesting though.

Father time catching up to Geno is the easiest Occam's Razor explanation ever.
Look at the 2003 NHL draft, arguably the best ever and 1 year before Geno was drafted: 2003 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

These are his contemporaries. How many of these guys are even close to what they were at their peak?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not for sustained amount of time. Giving Malkin Tanev for a period or so is not trying things.

And not moving Zucker is the biggest issue.

He tried Malkin with Tanev for a period, they got absolutely hammered on chances, so he stopped doing it. He tried it again more recently, it got hammered again, so he stopped doing it quicker. I guess, sure, it's not a full trial, but I'm not seeing anything wrong with refusing to give a full trial when a pairing just doesn't go right. Their possession stats made Malkin-Zucker this season look like Malkin-Guentzel last season. And it's certainly still trying something.

And, yeah maybe it is the biggest issue, but it's still only one. And unless its Guentzel, what difference does it make?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Here's an idea.

If Dallas ends up falling out of playoff contention, what about Pavelski? 7m per for the next 2 years, but can play C or RW and he could work all over the line-up.

Plus PP.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What cap space?

Zucker + Dumo would free it up. Move Kappy to LW or move Geno to 2LW (ducks) with Pavelski at C.

But I dunno, Marleau has left a bad taste in my mouth about thinking any of the Sharks legends still has gas in the tank. Irrational but true.

Reactions: ownal

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Why ERod?

Simon sucks tbh.

Personal preference. They are pretty close in level of player.

EDIT: We are light on winger depth to be able to play in the top 6 and at least Sid's line still can do pretty well with Simon.

Jankowski is a clear difference. Fair gamble but the quicker we have someone else their the better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Personal preference. They are pretty close in level of player.

Jankowski is a clear difference. Fair gamble but the quicker we have someone else their the better.

Rodrigues can actually play center at the NHL level though.

I dunno, I think McCann and Rodrigues will do a lot for our bottom six when they come back. Same way people were crucifying our defense and they've looked much better since Matheson and Petts returned.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Rodrigues can actually play center at the NHL level though.

I dunno, I think McCann and Rodrigues will do a lot for our bottom six when they come back. Same way people were crucifying our defense and they've looked much better since Matheson and Petts returned.

I did a late edit.

Yeah I agree with what you say. Rodrigues is probably better suited for our bottom 6 but Simon is better suited when someone needs to move up (which seem often these days)

Yeah getting D back has helped but they've also been better systematic wise too which is just as if not more improtant.

The team keeps almost getting there. They keep dangling the carrot in front of us :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I did a late edit.

Yeah I agree with what you say. Rodrigues is probably better suited for our bottom 6 but Simon is better suited when someone needs to move up (which seem often these days)

Yeah getting D back has helped but they've also been better systematic wise too which is just as if not more improtant.

The team keeps almost getting there. They keep dangling the carrot in front of us :laugh:

McCann - Jankowski - Lafferty and BART are good to become a thing so Kapanen is going to get scratched for Rodrigues in the top six.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I really hope the pens go off and on an absolute tear.....They have the pieces to do it just need to put it together. I get it we have been spoiled with some of the most talented players to ever see the ice in the last 20-30 years and some of you are all ready to blow it up..........it makes me sick.

Geno has been over a point per game player since forever, hes off to a slow start. I understand the implications of a slow start in a shortend seaason. The cream always rises to the top. I am confident he will figure it out.

You will be extremly sorry if you blow it up now. We may never see two generational talents on the same team in our lifetime again. I was lucky enough to see the Jagr/Lemieux Malkin/Crosby years and enjoy the moments, the ups and downs. Its why I am such a huge fan.

I'm on the ship and I will gladly go down with it when the time comes but to blow it up now is idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad