Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Main board brought up that the Sabres have a need for a LD, have a glut of RD.

I think it's unlikely Matheson gets moved until he shows long-term that he can play somewhat close to his contract level. I think the choice will come down to Dumoulin vs Pettersson, and I'm inclined to keep Dumo.

I think you can drop Dumo down in the lineup, away from Letang, and he's still very serviceable. And I like his responsibility and smarts in his own zone compared to Pettersson.

Maybe Pens could target a MP for Montour or Miller swap. Or, if not a defenseman back, target someone like Cody Eakin to be a 3B center.
JR, is this you? You really are trying to sink this organization with terrible asset management. Let's spend more resources on older defenseman that can't actual play any defense.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We got Brassard, a good enough 2C and asked him to play 3C. Which he couldn't.

We have a very specialized view of what a 3C needed to bring that made this organization and this fanbase frankly just weird about that position on that line.
First we had a dominant 3C ogre in Staal, then later we had Bonino who led a "lightning in a bottle" line in 2016 then followed it up with being the best dang turtling defensive forward ever in 2017. His body was a shooting gallery lol. Then we replaced him with nothing (oh and traded a good C prospect for Reaves but whatever) and that was a huge mistake. Then we replaced nothing with Sheahan who was honestly good enough but lacked the OMG THE PENS 3C appeal, so we moved heaven and Earth and like 5 teams to acquire Brassard.

I don't think it'd be harder to find a good 2C with actual money than we made it on ourselves to find Staal-nino at a miniscule cap hit.

The idea would be to trade Zucker for that 2C (with Zucker presumably having value to the acquiring team). If Zucker has no value, then we really are f****d and have to just hope Geno turns back the clock 14 months.
Brass sucked shit. I'm not sure it's because we asked him to play a sheltered 3C role, because he sucked shit for a couple years afterward too, on different teams. He was also expensive, more expensive than we can afford at the moment.

If you want to move Zucker, which I still think is a mistake if the goal is to keep a strong top-6 with a win-now objective, move him for another LW. I still don't think that'll matter, but if the idea is that Zucker is so bad that he's made Geno into a .5 PPG guy suddenly, by all means, move the guy.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I agree that Dumo is probably the one to keep but..
Why are you trying to get a RD? Ceci and Ruhwedel have been more than fine as bottom pair guys. Cody Eakin is bad now, he’s a straight up 4C, if that. Not even really an upgrade on Jankowski.
I'm honestly just spitballing. A RD doesn't necessarily interest me, but it could help balance things out. Plus, I'm not sold on Ceci, yet. He's been much better than I expected, but I'm waiting for the bottom to drop out.

Eakin's certainly not producing, but Buffalo is a tire fire. And he's winning almost 58% of his faceoffs, which could help a major issue.

I'd certainly prioritize bottom six help over adding a D. Just throwing out something for discussion.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
JR, is this you? You really are trying to sink this organization with terrible asset management. Let's spend more resources on older defenseman that can't actual play any defense.
Just throwing it out there for discussion. Someone like Eakin would interest me more because of his faceoff skills than either defenseman.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Dumo is better but Petts might play slightly better game to go with Ceci. And Pettersson was better in that tiny sample this year.

If one would bring back a significantly better return than the other, trade that guy. If it’s close/similar— I’d say you probably move Dumoulin.

Does it make sense to shed Petts’ term though?
Think the value is really up in the air. Dumoulin is only 29 and has the Cups on his resume which clearly boosts his value, not to take away from the fact that he was a stud/possibly still could be.

Contrary to the forward situation and being against a 3A/3B situation, I believe they should more evenly disburse the icetime now that Letang is getting older. He may be able to play 27 minutes a night, but should he have to with how our defense is currently assembled once healthy? No.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Brass sucked shit. I'm not sure it's because we asked him to play a sheltered 3C role, because he sucked shit for a couple years afterward too, on different teams. He was also expensive, more expensive than we can afford at the moment.

If you want to move Zucker, which I still think is a mistake if the goal is to keep a strong top-6 with a win-now objective, move him for another LW. I still don't think that'll matter, but if the idea is that Zucker is so bad that he's made Geno into a .5 PPG guy suddenly, by all means, move the guy.

Zucker isn't so bad. He's not so good, either. But he's not bad.

Geno is horrible by his standards. And it starts in the defensive end with the fact that he can't actually cover down low and he's constantly flying the zone which should be a no-no for a center.

I don't know why this particular center can't move to wing. I don't think it degrades his legacy or anything like that to move to wing at the end of his career. I also think he's good enough to do it.

If you move Geno to LW you don't need Zucker any more.

I'm not all on board with moving Geno to LW right this second, but the original conversation was in the context of acquiring Joe Pavelski. If we were to acquire him I think you have to move Geno to wing.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Just throwing it out there for discussion. Someone like Eakin would interest me more because of his faceoff skills than either defenseman.
Eakin stinks and he's expensive. If we want a faceoff guy, we can get Glendening on the cheap. We don't need a 3rd line center, Teddy has been killing it. Glendening or Cousins is all that is needed for the 4th. Dumo needs to go for pure picks or prospect. If a in-season trade, we could maybe accept a UFA to get a better asset back. It would 100% have to be a pending UFA.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Unfortunately that's what Malkin does nowadays too.

It POs me to no end that he never stops/starts in the defensive end. It's always loops. I remember actual stop and start last year.
GIF.gif

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If he can't show some signs, if he can't find himself, then I think we're better off selling at this deadline and trying to arrange things so we don't lose too much good stuff at the expansion draft; not saying it's the end of the window, but it's kinda the end of this season.

Even in shortened season, we’re not even through 30% of it, and that’s without pointing out that the business end if it - the part that matters - comes after.
Gads!

I’ve said some of the same stuff btw - that Malkin has to be individually better no matter his linemates. Sure, and turnovers/bad decisions are not necessarily a matter of him declining, but rather insufficient focus. That’s on him to change, which he can (should) no matter if the explosive offense is there. Even if Sully can also help and Malkin has a pretty rich history showing how he can respond to that.

Either way lets not get crazy.

The trade deadline is April 12th. Lets at least get through March before we write him or the season off...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker isn't so bad. He's not so good, either. But he's not bad.

Geno is horrible by his standards. And it starts in the defensive end with the fact that he can't actually cover down low and he's constantly flying the zone which should be a no-no for a center.

I don't know why this particular center can't move to wing. I don't think it degrades his legacy or anything like that to move to wing at the end of his career. I also think he's good enough to do it.

If you move Geno to LW you don't need Zucker any more.

I'm not all on board with moving Geno to LW right this second, but the original conversation was in the context of acquiring Joe Pavelski. If we were to acquire him I think you have to move Geno to wing.
Zucker is what Rust is when Rust isn't on one of his streaky stretches of insane shooting percentage. :laugh: I hope people (not you specifically, but those demanding Zucker dealt because "he sucks" etc) are as harsh on Rust when he inevitably cools off for a spell, as he always does.

I don't know, Geno's sucked defensively for years. It's a lifetime ago that he was on par with Datsyuk as far as defensive play and takeaways go. The issue is Geno has zero offensive pop whatsoever. We can deal with Geno sucking defensively, because Zucker and Rust are both solid in that regard. What we can't deal with is Geno being on par offensively with Teddy f***ing Blueger. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even in shortened season, we’re not even through 30% of it, and that’s without pointing out that the business end if it - the part that matters - comes after.
Gads!

I’ve said some of the same stuff btw - that Malkin has to be individually better no matter his linemates. Sure, and turnovers/bad decisions are not necessarily a matter of him declining, but rather insufficient focus. That’s on him to change, which he can (should) no matter if the explosive offense is there. Even if Sully can also help and Malkin has a pretty rich history showing how he can respond to that.

Either way lets not get crazy.

The trade deadline is April 12th. Lets at least get through March before we write him or the season off...

Agreed. Just - I don't want to be making big moves just yet either. I want to wait a little more on Malkin before leaning too far one way or the other and Malkin would be my main factor in making decisions.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Look at the 2nd Isles goal of last game. Rust and Malkin blew the zone at the same time, but Rust curved back immediately... Malkin almost hit the opposing blue line

There's no excuse for that, not even playing with a broken rib or because you're about to be traded. You don't give up on your team like that. I can't imagine the anger I'd feel if I was on the bench and saw one of the "Leaders" just go for a skate. I'm sick of watching this guy. The entitled way he acts, he wants everything easy and gives up when it doesn't. I'm sick of knowing that you can tell how his entire game will go by his first shift. That he can't get emotionally invested in a game without someone shoving him around or the fans cheering for him. His skating has clearly declined, his hands can't push a puck past any defender. That doesn't happen over a few months, so let's be real here, his conditioning is awful. 9.5 mill salary and it's too much to stay in shape, too much to ask to put your stick in passing lanes, too much to stay in your own zone instead of skating to a different area code.

I'm done with him after that display last game, there's nothing anyone can say that can defend what he did.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'll happily shart all over Malkin's play this year while saying that he's been ungodly good for all but about 1.75 years of his career: '10-'11, '18-'19 and now.

Please, some respect. Is he playing like $9.5M right now? No. Is he even an average 2C right now? No.
But if you're sick of him as a player, that's a clown response bro.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Look at the 2nd Isles goal of last game. Rust and Malkin blew the zone at the same time, but Rust curved back immediately... Malkin almost hit the opposing blue line

There's no excuse for that, not even playing with a broken rib or because you're about to be traded. You don't give up on your team like that. I can't imagine the anger I'd feel if I was on the bench and saw one of the "Leaders" just go for a skate. I'm sick of watching this guy. The entitled way he acts, he wants everything easy and gives up when it doesn't. I'm sick of knowing that you can tell how his entire game will go by his first shift. That he can't get emotionally invested in a game without someone shoving him around or the fans cheering for him. His skating has clearly declined, his hands can't push a puck past any defender. That doesn't happen over a few months, so let's be real here, his conditioning is awful. 9.5 mill salary and it's too much to stay in shape, too much to ask to put your stick in passing lanes, too much to stay in your own zone instead of skating to a different area code.

I'm done with him after that display last game, there's nothing anyone can say that can defend what he did.

What I take from this.

- Rust is more defensively responsible than Malkin. No shit.
-Malkin is getting older and the skills are beginning to diminish
- He's struggling to cope with that reality and how to adjust his game
- He's an emotional player and always has been
- Could he have worked out better in the offseason? Maybe
- Has the past calendar year been f***ing weird? Yep.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Some of these Penguins fans are beyond spoiled and don't deserve any of the success this team has had honestly. You had three Cups and an innumerable amount of great moments over 15 years, delivered by these guys and yes Malkin. You can't just enjoy what they've done for the team while criticizing when needed. The guy is a legend of the game in every sense. Doesn't deserve the shit he's taken from people like you in the cheap seats.

Reactions: Beauner

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Absolute clown post, dude. An actual, true fan can critique and criticize while still hoping and believing a player can figure things out. Being done with a player who is a franchise legend because of 20 poor games is complete trash

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Would you guys consider Gaudette and Virtanen for Petts?

McCann - Gaudette - Virtanen
Doesn't seem like a half bad line to me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What I take from this.

- Rust is more defensively responsible than Malkin. No shit.
-Malkin is getting older and the skills are beginning to diminish
- He's struggling to cope with that reality and how to adjust his game
- He's an emotional player and always has been
- Could he have worked out better in the offseason? Maybe
- Has the past calendar year been f***ing weird? Yep.

Just on the bolded - going from Geno's words, he could have absolutely used better off-season workouts and absolutely couldn't have done it. If the facilities aren't open, only so much you can do.

As you say, this past calendar year has been very weird.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Some of these Penguins fans are beyond spoiled and don't deserve any of the success this team has had honestly. You had three Cups and an innumerable amount of great moments over 15 years, delivered by these guys and yes Malkin. You can't just enjoy what they've done for the team while criticizing when needed. The guy is a legend of the game in every sense. Doesn't deserve the shit he's taken from people like you in the cheap seats.
He deserves some criticism for his play as of late. Simply ignoring his poor play is just being a blind homer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->