Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Last few posts:

i dont think you should undersell what happened with ian cole... cole filled an essential role on those early sully teams... he was very good at clogging shot lanes and forcing shots from the outside or blocking shots and he played physical... he wasn’t a great defenseman by any stretch, but he filled a role that was immediately missed upon his trade... replacing his role was exactly why Jack Johnson was brought in... and JJ just didn’t mesh right despite having similar traits...

I get that the guy mouthed off a bunch, but frankly coaches in general are extremely flawed individuals that need reality checks way more often... its a shame most are thin skinned and cannot handle being called out...

I really think cole was one of a half dozen players they got rid of then realized they had no good fill in for their roles...

The same coach that beefed with Ian Cole also presented an argument to the GM for why the team should sign Jack Johnson.

And none of that is made up. It hurts my soul.

Cole struggled but he formed a good second pair with Schultz when he did get back to his game. The loss of Tocchet also had the team looking and playing different but we didn't understand it until a year after that season. The Pens were trying to find a way to add more Cole types with the Oleksiak deal and then when they moved him it was Gudbranson and JJ. Both bad fits.

The team essentially never has found a replacement. I think it was @Gurglesons that had mentioned Gudas and I liked the idea of Riikola/Matheson/Pettersson, Gudas as a pair.

Cole was walking. As much as people want to make it about Sully, the reality was we were never going to invest 4 mil into our 3rd pairing D.

That being said, we should've given Schultz's money to Cole.

Coaching, apparently, can never fail. It can only be failed.

A spectre is haunting Europe – the spectre of [coaches bearing any sort of responsibility]. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Tsar, Metternich and Guizot, French Radicals and German police-spies.

I don't hate the idea of giving Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen a try, but on what basis do you say that Zucker and Crosby played well together?

Last game thread was closed before I could respond to @The Old Master suggesting that Malkin is moved to the wing.

.... which is probably for the better...
Byegones.

Please read a post before you type another one out.

Haha why bother with that guy? It’s JR’s burner account.

right now the brass is watching the team play and getting a feel for what is here. It takes time to see some of the little things and interactions of players as to chemistry, fit ect. But I do think they see some isseus here is lacking needed size and grit. How they address that for this year is to me limited as to flexibility. But I just don't think with Sid and Geno not in beast mode anymore Pens need more space makers than smaller skill wingers.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think all of Lafferty, Archibald and Tanev are more or less the same kind of player, just with varying skill levels. Archibald would be a nice addition, but I'd aim for higher than that personally. I'd want to get another guy on par with Tanev, who's a 3rd line grinder while Archibald is probably a fringe 3rd/4th line grinder. He's the exact kind of player I want to add for that 4th line.

What sucks is that I thought Sceviour was supposed to be that kind of player, but he has just been so bland for the Penguins.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m just gonna move my comment over here;

I think they need someone that can hold the puck and make their own space / draw attention away. Dump and chase puck retrievers are nice and all, but a guy that can actually hang onto the puck and open up some space would be nice.

Kap has that ability and has shown it in flashes. I just think his mindset is so geared towards being a bottom 6 forward anymore that he doesn’t try it consistently.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think all of Lafferty, Archibald and Tanev are more or less the same kind of player, just with varying skill levels. Archibald would be a nice addition, but I'd aim for higher than that personally. I'd want to get another guy on par with Tanev, who's a 3rd line grinder while Archibald is probably a fringe 3rd/4th line grinder. He's the exact kind of player I want to add for that 4th line.

What sucks is that I thought Sceviour was supposed to be that kind of player, but he has just been so bland for the Penguins.

Scevior was that kind of player but once you hit early 30s sometimes these guys mellow out and become bland.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Zucker + something for Forsberg, pick up a vet 4C at the deadline.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Forsberg
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Jankowski-??-Kapanen
Lafferty

PP
Forsberg-Crosby-Malkin-Rust-Letang

Do itttttt

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Zucker + something for Forsberg, pick up a vet 4C at the deadline.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Forsberg
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Jankowski-??-Kapanen
Lafferty

PP
Forsberg-Crosby-Malkin-Rust-Letang

Do itttttt

Yes.

This.

But I'll make the trade even more appealing - despite being an RH shot, Forsberg is a LW. You don't have to rearrange the Pens line-up for him, just plug him into Zucker's current spot on Malkin's LW.

That one move makes us a much better team at ES and on the PP.

Reactions: Dominance

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think the top 6 personnel is fine. They're just not clicking like we hoped. Getting a middle six winger than can play both wings would be nice.

Line three is also fine. Hopefully they/ZAR keeps scoring goals.

The fourth line is just bland. Like a few have been mentioning, get the team a shift disturber for that line. I'd also like a right handed center, but perhaps EROD can fill that role.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm not sure what Buffalo would want for Lazar, but that's a guy who I think would fit well here.

He plays bigger than he is, decent at faceoffs. I also think Cousins would be a good addition. We need someone like that honestly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like Nashville will go for a retool/rebuild if/when they start selling off players, so I find it very unlikely that the Penguins can get any of their big name top-6 forwards. They just don't have the assets to pull that off.

Nashville probably won't do Zucker+ for Forsberg or Arvidsson. They're going to want something like Poulin and a 1st+, and the Penguins really shouldn't be hemorrhaging more futures assets.

Reactions: madinsomniac

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Nick Cousins.
Sceviour plus a late round pick for Cousins, McCann for Bennett, then find a way to pry Hartman out of Min, and run a Cousins - Bennett - Hartman line, would at least have some jam, and be anoying as hell to play against.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would much rather keep Zucker and find other avenues to get what they need. You're not really creating depth if you are trading one for one swap out.

Though, a McCann, Dumoulin, Lafferty and Poulin for Forsberg & Haula is really enticing.

Guentzel, Crosby, Kapanen
Forsberg, Malkin, Rust
Zucker, Haula, Jankowski
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev
Scevior/E-Rod

Guess who never has to take another PK defensive zone faceoff again?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah if I’m Nashville Arvidsson is expendable, Forsberg isn’t. They can probably get some team to overpay for Arvidsson anyways.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I feel like Nashville will go for a retool/rebuild if/when they start selling off players, so I find it very unlikely that the Penguins can get any of their big name top-6 forwards. They just don't have the assets to pull that off.

Nashville probably won't do Zucker+ for Forsberg or Arvidsson. They're going to want something like Poulin and a 1st+, and the Penguins really shouldn't be hemorrhaging more futures assets.

Would we have to convince Zucker to waive his NTC again, in order to shop him? If so, that's going to greatly reduce our ability to move him, barring making his life so miserable he wants out for whomever.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Would we have to convince Zucker to waive his NTC again, in order to shop him? If so, that's going to greatly reduce our ability to move him, barring making his life so miserable he wants out for whomever.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think the Pens can choose to not honor that NTC since he's already been traded.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I only think he has like a 10 team NTC so I don't think moving him would be that difficult.

@Empoleon8771 , Arvidsson is one thing, Forsberg quite another, IMO.

The concept still applies IMO. The Penguins really shouldn't be spending more future assets for a top-6 winger and that's what Nashville would want for that.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah if I’m Nashville Arvidsson is expendable, Forsberg isn’t. They can probably get some team to overpay for Arvidsson anyways.

No he's not, neither really are, but Arvidson is already signed to a great deal. They'd probably get equal value for either taking their current contracts age and such into considerations. Does Forsberg even want to re-sign there considering he's only got one more left after this?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Its 10 teams so 20 he can go too. Did it come out where those teams are?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Circling away from Forsberg and back to Cousins for a bit-- I find it odd that this team has moved so far away from garden variety "finish your checks" physicality that was a hallmark of the early Sullivan teams. Part of that, I think, is the emphasis on guys who just chase the puck, but do little else. But it's doubly crazy to me because Sid and Geno also seem to thrive on teams with guys who are not necessarily enforcers (though we know Sid's liking for them), but able to dish out and take some punishment legally or not.

We don't have to turn into the Broad Street Bullies, but finishing our checks and playing with a bit of an edge would go a long way to making this team more like the Cup teams, without even making moves. :dunno:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If we are doing fantasy lineups why do I still see Jankowski’s name :laugh:

How's getting rid of him prudent?

Much in the sense of like when it was Bonino, Fehr & Cullen you have Haula, TB & Jankowski.

You are not going to get much for him in any trade and it's silly to just add him to a trade for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad