Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
In terms of actual money paid out JJ gets $4 million this year, $3 million next year and the year after, then$2.25 million the final year of his contract.

Jack Johnson

He might be more movable at the deadline having been paid over half that $4 million, and certainly next year going forward. Especially if the Pens eat a small bit of the salary.

Harder sell now to quite a few teams with $4 million actual cash going out.

Maybe going short a man for now and trying again at the deadline makes sense.

At this point with Pet hanging in the balance, signings like JJ become ever more glaringly bad signings.

(as if it wasnt glaringly bad before - now we have a rising young talent very difficult to sign because of people like JJ)
sadface;

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not implying he was bad for us, but we all know what his career has been like the past few years. We'll see if the real Gudbranson is the guy we got at the deadline or if he reverts back to stinking up the joint.

I'm hoping for the former, but you gotta be at least a little worried about the latter happening.

Eh, I think Vancouver was such a cluster **** that I don't think it's all that likely that Badbranson comes back. I don't think either Badbranson or the guy they got at the deadline is the real Gudbranson, he's probably closer to what he was in Florida (fringe #4/5 physical DFD that can eat minutes). I think normal Gudbranson is probably on the same level as 2016 Cole or Lovejoy.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Some people just don't like people that speak up/don't toe the company line. I guess Cole was too candid for Sullivan.

He also started that season like crap, took a lot of dumb penalties, and allegedly asked for a trade when HSed. Maybe not as important as the part of it you've mentioned, but I think people forget the full context of it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Context: they were a team talking 3-peat in dire need of defense depth due to losing piece to FA, but then trade away defense for center depth and severly over pay for a part not necessary.

Context: neither issue has been rectified.

When talking 3-peat and needing "more" defence you don't trade out a main cog when the replacements are considered 7 to 9 on any teams depth chart.

Coles last words were he didn't want to leave.why would he be making 3-peats posts if he were.

Final context: was Brassard worth it?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Context: they were a team talking 3-peat in dire need of defense depth due to losing piece to FA, but then trade away defense for center depth and severly over pay for a part not necessary.

Context: neither issue has been rectified.

When talking 3-peat and needing "more" defence you don't trade out a main cog when the replacements are considered 7 to 9 on any teams depth chart.

Coles last words were he didn't want to leave.why would he be making 3-peats posts if he were.

Final context: was Brassard worth it?

What we paid for Brass was certainly worth the idea of what he would bring.

Cole was gone the minute we signed Hunwick.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Factual.

But it still REALLY sucked.

Way it played out? Yeah... and no.

Don't get me wrong, Brassard was terribad overall and in retrospect there were maybe other better ideas. But compared to just keeping Cole when he wasn't re-signing? That team was never winning with those injuries and that fatigue, no matter how close it felt vs Washington. At which point, having the asset that lasted was better, no matter how disappointing the process was.

I mean, it mainly sucked and I'm mainly being pedantic. But we do have something to show for it when we otherwise wouldn't.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That said, I'd take any incarnation of Cole over our LDs after Dumo and Petts. Seems obvious now, but that wasn't always the consensus.

He'd sure be nice to have with Schultz this season.

I mean, that's a very low bar to meet now... there's quite a few players that I was okay with them leaving and now maybe if I could go back in time, I'd think different. Hopefully Rutherford's decided to stop recruiting depth replacements like he's the Keystone Cops.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, this isn’t enlightening stuff. I think we all argued we would take the Cole contract over JJ.

I'm gonna try to avoid dredging up old posts, but there was a time when some were quite adamant about JJ on his deal being a better option than Cole on his.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Marcus Pettersson securing visa, one step closer to Penguins training camp

Marcus Pettersson doesn't have a new contract yet, but he should be getting a visa soon.
And securing one of those was the major hurdle that had to be cleared before Pettersson, a restricted free agent, could travel to the U.S. and participate in drills when the Penguins open training camp next Friday.

Pettersson's agent, Peter Wallen, said in an email that the team has taken the necessary steps to get the visa.
"Pittsburgh has dealt with Immigration and used the (qualifying offer) as the doc(ument) for P1 (visa) approval," Wallen wrote. "That means Marcus can apply for (a) visa and prepare (to attend camp)."
A P1 visa is designed for use by foreign athletes or entertainers who wish to compete or perform in the U.S.

Seems like the team is going to go to the last possible second before signing Pettersson. JR's probably waiting for his trade demand to be met rather than sign Pettersson for 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad