Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marcus Pettersson securing visa, one step closer to Penguins training camp

Seems like the team is going to go to the last possible second before signing Pettersson. JR's probably waiting for his trade demand to be met rather than sign Pettersson for 1 year.

I feel like that tells me the 1 year option is just Pettersson signing his QO. If Pettersson signs his ~$950k QO, that leaves the Penguins with $450k in cap space with a 22 man roster (Riikola in the AHL).

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I feel like that tells me the 1 year option is just Pettersson signing his QO. If Pettersson signs his ~$950k QO, that leaves the Penguins with $450k in cap space with a 22 man roster (Riikola in the AHL).

Pens are going to need to keep at least $700k for any call ups in case of injury...will allow them to call up some players making 650k to 700k...no one makes $450...someone else must go down...hello JJ...

Reactions: canadianguy77

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pens are going to need to keep at least $700k for any call ups in case of injury...will allow them to call up some players making 650k to 700k...no one makes $450...someone else must go down.

It's not that simple. Gotta remember that the cap is calculated on a daily basis, not a yearly one. That 450k works out to ~$2400 a day. And while that in itself doesn't do anything for us... as it adds up, then we have options. A 700k callup costs ~$3700 a day. So for every 3 days we're 450k under the cap, that gives us 2 days where we can call up a 700k player and still be cap compliant. So if we go a month or so without the need of a callup... that's buying us ~3 weeks where we can call someone up. And if we need them that long, LTIR is likely a legitimate option.

Again, as has been said many times. This isn't a long term solution... just something that buys JR more time. Every single one of us knows that he's going to have to make a move of some kind early on this season (likely before the end of Nov). But if he can get MP signed to a cheap contract that leaves him cap compliant, then that buys him a bunch of time to try and make the best deal possible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens are going to need to keep at least $700k for any call ups in case of injury...will allow them to call up some players making 650k to 700k...no one makes $450...someone else must go down...hello JJ...

No they don't. They need to just be very vigilant in when they keep a 23 man roster, like Riptide said. If they have 2 or 3 days off, they have to send a guy down.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Has a player ever gotten their own insurance and then participated in training camp before? Molinari mentioned that as a possibility before. It gives JR more time to work with.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
It's not that simple. Gotta remember that the cap is calculated on a daily basis, not a yearly one. That 450k works out to ~$2400 a day. And while that in itself doesn't do anything for us... as it adds up, then we have options. A 700k callup costs ~$3700 a day. So for every 3 days we're 450k under the cap, that gives us 2 days where we can call up a 700k player and still be cap compliant. So if we go a month or so without the need of a callup... that's buying us ~3 weeks where we can call someone up. And if we need them that long, LTIR is likely a legitimate option.

Again, as has been said many times. This isn't a long term solution... just something that buys JR more time. Every single one of us knows that he's going to have to make a move of some kind early on this season (likely before the end of Nov). But if he can get MP signed to a cheap contract that leaves him cap compliant, then that buys him a bunch of time to try and make the best deal possible.[/B]

That this team is at the point where we need to know this information is kinda hilarious. :laugh:

Thanks for posting that though. I had no idea the cap is calculated on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Has a player ever gotten their own insurance and then participated in training camp before? Molinari mentioned that as a possibility before. It gives JR more time to work with.

Yes it's happened several times. The one that really sticks out to me was Brian Gionta with NJ back in 2006 when he didn't sign until early Oct. Then received a 12m 3 yr deal. Had a monster season (48g/89pts) and followed that up with 2 more very good contracts over the next 11 seasons (50m total).

Edit. Most players don't because A) they're using them holding out as leverage to get the contract they want. And B) why pay additional out of pocket money when you shouldn't have to?

However I don't think that really applies to MP as I suspect that he has 2 contracts that they've agreed to (one that's a short cheap deal and one that's a long term deal) and it's just a matter of JR deciding which one they'll have to go with (dependent on whether he can make a move or not).

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
The boys look ready

69623968_1300794890091840_6698366720656015360_n.png

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Figured Sid was on his annual high altitude week long training camp.
I wonder which team won this year tho...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes it's happened several times. The one that really sticks out to me was Brian Gionta with NJ back in 2006 when he didn't sign until early Oct. Then received a 12m 3 yr deal. Had a monster season (48g/89pts) and followed that up with 2 more very good contracts over the next 11 seasons (50m total).

Edit. Most players don't because A) they're using them holding out as leverage to get the contract they want. And B) why pay additional out of pocket money when you shouldn't have to?

However I don't think that really applies to MP as I suspect that he has 2 contracts that they've agreed to (one that's a short cheap deal and one that's a long term deal) and it's just a matter of JR deciding which one they'll have to go with (dependent on whether he can make a move or not).

Yeah, I see no reason why Pettersson would be upset. He either gets a cheap deal to prove himself in a year or two year term or we move someone and he gets a 4-5 year deal with significant more money and commitment.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Eh, I think Vancouver was such a cluster **** that I don't think it's all that likely that Badbranson comes back. I don't think either Badbranson or the guy they got at the deadline is the real Gudbranson, he's probably closer to what he was in Florida (fringe #4/5 physical DFD that can eat minutes). I think normal Gudbranson is probably on the same level as 2016 Cole or Lovejoy.

Hopefully he can keep the strong play up, or at least play adequately.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Saw this when prodding through Jesse's twitter and found it interesting -

Most people seem to be talking about Galchenyuk as Malkin's next Neal, but if Jesse's right, his impact could be more in teeing up Geno than getting teed up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saw this when prodding through Jesse's twitter and found it interesting -

Most people seem to be talking about Galchenyuk as Malkin's next Neal, but if Jesse's right, his impact could be more in teeing up Geno than getting teed up.

I actually think that's kind of an issue with Galchenyuk, he has a really damn good shot but he's super selective with it. Galchenyuk's highest output in a season was 382 shot attempts and 213 shots. For comparison, Neal in 2011-2012 had 579 shot attempts and 329 shots. Considering how good his shot is, he should be a lot closer to Neal's shot totals than where his career high was at. Jesse's next tweet made that exact point about Galchenyuk's hesitance to shoot:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I actually think that's kind of an issue with Galchenyuk, he has a really damn good shot but he's super selective with it. Galchenyuk's highest output in a season was 382 shot attempts and 213 shots. For comparison, Neal in 2011-2012 had 579 shot attempts and 329 shots. Considering how good his shot is, he should be a lot closer to Neal's shot totals than where his career high was at. Jesse's next tweet made that exact point about Galchenyuk's hesitance to shoot:

geno will fix that! "you get open …..I give you puck.....you shoot puck... puck go's in.,, you no shoot...puck doesn't go in...I give someone else the puck.":laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad