Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know everyone has liked Guds so far, and so do I, but I think we should sell high on him because of the upcoming cap crunch...ANA is in the market for a RD and Faulk fell through...they have money...since I don’t think we’re going to get takers for JJ, imo it’s worth looking at trading Guds to ANA, particularly if the team thinks Marino is close to ready...maybe that’s why JJ was paired with Ruh at scrimmage? Idk but I hope the Pens look into taking advantage of the opportunity to make the D cheaper...

Reactions: JackFr

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The problem is, @Andy99, is that he's right handed. We need a RHD. Schultz is most likely not re-signing for a decent price seeing what guys are going for. So that could leave us legit just with Letang after this year.

- But yes... the defense needs to be rid of JJ. And for me personally, Guds is definitely overpaid but I can at least deal with it if the term is not wildly insane. He gets beat out wide quite a bit. But he's not worse than JJ. That's for damn sure.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem is, @Andy99, is that he's right handed. We need a RHD. Schultz is most likely not re-signing for a decent price seeing what guys are going for. So that could leave us legit just with Letang after this year.

- But yes... the defense needs to be rid of JJ. And for me personally, Guds is definitely overpaid but I can at least deal with it if the term is not wildly insane. He gets beat out wide quite a bit. But he's not worse than JJ. That's for damn sure.

Yeah, I agree that we need to gather some info first...but everything out of Schultz indicates he wants to re-sign here, perhaps at below market rates...if that seems likely, and if the team believes Marino could play sheltered minutes on the third pair, and that a Petts-Schultz looks decent, imo we should look at trading Guds to ANA before the season starts if they’re interested...I don’t think Guds on the third pair is going to make or break our season, but we’ll need to unload a few overpriced contracts as the season progresses...why not start there? (Of course, like everyone, I’d rather it start w JJ but not seeing promising signs of that)

Reactions: ColePens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know everyone has liked Guds so far, and so do I, but I think we should sell high on him because of the upcoming cap crunch...ANA is in the market for a RD and Faulk fell through...they have money...since I don’t think we’re going to get takers for JJ, imo it’s worth looking at trading Guds to ANA, particularly if the team thinks Marino is close to ready...maybe that’s why JJ was paired with Ruh at scrimmage? Idk but I hope the Pens look into taking advantage of the opportunity to make the D cheaper...

I'm not against listening to their offer, but the cap crunch is next year and I'd rather prioritise going for it this year than sorting next year (within reason). If we traded Gudzilla, then RD would go back on the list of positions to fill (unless Marino progresses well).

It'd have to be a good offer for me to want to do it right now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I agree that we need to gather some info first...but everything out of Schultz indicates he wants to re-sign here, perhaps at below market rates...if that seems likely, and if the team believes Marino could play sheltered minutes on the third pair, and that a Petts-Schultz looks decent, imo we should look at trading Guds to ANA before the season starts if they’re interested...I don’t think Guds on the third pair is going to make or break our season, but we’ll need to unload a few overpriced contracts as the season progresses...why not start there? (Of course, like everyone, I’d rather it start w JJ but not seeing promising signs of that)

If Schultz was to re-sign for 5.5 or less and Pets has a longer deal set in play, I move both JJ/Guds as soon as possible. I don't think it's easy to move them, especially JJ. I think Guds with only 1 year left after this one would be pretty easy.

So ultimately we do not HAVE to move Guds until the offseason, but he's a must move as soon as Pets/Schultz re-sign. That defense HAS to get cheaper. We cannot pay Guds/JJ 7m. Can't. You are 100% right on that.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not against listening to their offer, but the cap crunch is next year and I'd rather prioritise going for it this year than sorting next year (within reason). If we traded Gudzilla, then RD would go back on the list of positions to fill (unless Marino progresses well).

It'd have to be a good offer for me to want to do it right now.

For me, it would be contingent on Marino looking like a NHL player...even if he falls back during the RS, we have Riikola, Ruh, Trotman who are all RHD or can play that side...this is the third pair...Guds isn’t going to be a reason we have or don’t have a good season...if we could get a decent prospect back or draft pick, I think the Pens should strongly consider it...imo if Petts-Schultz looks good, we’ll have two strong pairings and we can afford a mobile but inexperienced third pair...also JJ might be on that pair...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pulled from the latest Athletic article from Rossi about DeSmith vs Jarry: The Finale -

" Rutherford said that “possibly” either of those goalies could clear waivers and remain with the Penguins “because of how many free-agent goalies there were this summer, and teams possibly would be set at goalie.” He had no plans to hold his breath, however.
“Based on the calls I’m getting now and the interest I’m getting, I think it would be hard to get one through,” Rutherford said. "

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pulled from the latest Athletic article from Rossi about DeSmith vs Jarry: The Finale -

" Rutherford said that “possibly” either of those goalies could clear waivers and remain with the Penguins “because of how many free-agent goalies there were this summer, and teams possibly would be set at goalie.” He had no plans to hold his breath, however.
“Based on the calls I’m getting now and the interest I’m getting, I think it would be hard to get one through,” Rutherford said. "

He should just trade Jarry for whatever he's being offered then. I think that's ultimately what he's going to do.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Lol...JR talks out of both sides of his mouth...”they’ll clear waivers...no, they won’t clear waivers”...wtf?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hutton apparently has an offer from LAK, as well as a few other teams...if LA loses out, perhaps they’d be interested in JJ...they’re looking for a veteran LD for their third pair and have the cap space...maybe? ...I’m still hoping....dreaming

Quit playing with my emotions, man.

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's no point in talking about trading Gudbranson right now because he's not going to be traded right now. The Penguins don't need cap space currently, Gudbranson brings an element to the team that JR really wants and Gudbranson has only played well for the Penguins. Unless you need the cap space for something else right now, there's not a point in moving him. Just trading him for the sake of cap space doesn't help you because you don't have many flaws on the roster that you'd need cap space for.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's no point in talking about trading Gudbranson right now because he's not going to be traded right now. The Penguins don't need cap space currently, Gudbranson brings an element to the team that JR really wants and Gudbranson has only played well for the Penguins. Unless you need the cap space for something else right now, there's not a point in moving him. Just trading him for the sake of cap space doesn't help you because you don't have many flaws on the roster that you'd need cap space for.

If Guds goes, JR will just keep trying to find another enforcer type. I can 100% assure you of that. We might as well all root for the guy and hope for the best.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For me, it would be contingent on Marino looking like a NHL player...even if he falls back during the RS, we have Riikola, Ruh, Trotman who are all RHD or can play that side...this is the third pair...Guds isn’t going to be a reason we have or don’t have a good season...if we could get a decent prospect back or draft pick, I think the Pens should strongly consider it...imo if Petts-Schultz looks good, we’ll have two strong pairings and we can afford a mobile but inexperienced third pair...also JJ might be on that pair...

The prospect of Ruh or underbaked Marino as 3RD in the post-season, or as 2RD for a prolonged part of the season due to injuries, is something bordering nightmare fuel for me (particularly with JJ around). Any return for Gudbranson would have to hedge the majority of the assets needed for getting a rental in case he's needed for me; less so if we're getting a near NHL ready prospect who can make a difference, but is that really a realistic ask?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think they have to keep Guds for now because of the injury risks Letang and Schultz are, but it does have me a little anxious. If he regresses, they could end up with 2 expensive anchors going into next off season that they have to move. My anxiousness would be alleviated greatly if they could find a way to dump JMFJ.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->