Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
@Riikolas Revenge
Riikolas Revenge said:
Strategy or Jim just relaxing after making several moves in a short period of time? He almost spelled it out at his last press conference that he didn't plan to do anything for a while.

I don't buy that he's been grinding away for a trade over the last 40 days or whatever. Not at all. If he had been then one would have happened by now.

Bold 1: You need to make up your mind. What advantage is it to JR to advertise to all that he must make a move and that he wants to do it quickly? I mean think about it. All that does is up the price on whatever he's trying to do.

Bold 2: Or perhaps, just perhaps he found out what the cost was and decided that there was no reason to pay that price in July or August when he still had 2 months to try and find other options. I mean if someone is going to haul you over the coals, there's no reason to jump at that price when it'll still be there in 2 months. You spend those 2 months trying to find another option. Especially when there's ways to get MP signed without making a move. Eventually we'll still have to make one, but if there's options that don't require it, that only increases the leverage JR has to get a better deal on whomever he moves.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So who was that idiot that told me (not you) that they'd get him here before camp.

This team is idiotic with the fact that JJ is still here. Get the **** out of here already JJ.

Has camp started yet? We still have 10 days before it starts. Lots of time to sign him to a deal and for him to get his visa and get to town. Especially when the hold up isn't his contract.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@pokey10

Does it have any salary implications if he signs closer to some unsaid deadline as opposed to now? Just curious.

The deadline for a RFA to sign is December 1st, and there is an impact if he signs later in the season. However, it makes no difference if he signs in July or if he signs in September from a cap perspective. Pettersson is coming to training camp, so I think the chances that he isn't signed by opening night are basically zero.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't get how anyone can look at the NHL as a league this off-season, at all the insider reports of a sluggish market and teams determined to leverage their cap space in trades, at all the free agents still unsigned, and can think that there's anything guaranteed for a GM looking for fair value in terms of moving cap. Its not like we're the only team out there that'd prefer to move cap - either every GM is not trying, or Rutherford is capable of walking on water when everyone else must swim. Neither seems likely.

At least we already have Jake signed. Way to go GMJR.

That's a potentially big advantage right now, particularly considering what he signed for.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

CF0695D3-89BE-4E30-A630-8528D41B9977.gif

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Good mix. Letang to teach offense. DeSmith to teach never giving up on your dream. Horny and Rust to teach how being tough can get you a big paycheck that you can rest on.

Right?

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
At least we already have Jake signed. Way to go GMJR.

AZ about to sign Clayton Keller for 8 yr and 7.15 AAV. I like Keller but good lawd that makes Jake's deal look all that much better.

Yes, I know it's completely different optics for a team like AZ vs a team like PIT but my point stands.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
AZ about to sign Clayton Keller for 8 yr and 7.15 AAV. I like Keller but good lawd that makes Jake's deal look all that much better.

Yes, I know it's completely different optics for a team like AZ vs a team like PIT but my point stands.

To be honest, that seems like a really nice deal for the Yotes given the RFA landscape right now, especially since Keller is a year out.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's completely reaching on my part, but Rust being one of the first guys at camp makes me think that he's not likely to move. If he was a serious trade candidate, I feel like the Penguins would have told him that, no?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yohe seems to think that the Penguins are actually cap compliant right now, so they could hypothetically not make any trades before the season opens. I may check the numbers to see if Pettersson on a $1 million deal allows the Penguins to be cap compliant with a 22 man roster, something like that would probably be the plan I imagine.

Reactions: Andy99

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
To be honest, that seems like a really nice deal for the Yotes given the RFA landscape right now, especially since Keller is a year out.

It could be an okay deal if Keller is his 17-18 version. If he is his 18-19 version it's....less so. And again, so much of it is optics for a historically bad team. He was so popular in his rookie year that you have to keep him if you want to bolster the PR gain you got from going out to get Phil.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yohe seems to think that the Penguins are actually cap compliant right now, so they could hypothetically not make any trades before the season opens.

I’ve been saying this since July...just don’t think there’ll be many trades for awhile given everyone’s cap situation, RFAs etc...JR can spin it how he likes...

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually looked at the numbers, JR isn't wrong that the Penguins can be cap compliant with a 22 man roster. I calculated almost exactly $80 million for 13 forwards, 6 D (Riikola in the minors) and 2 goalies, so you could be cap compliant with Pettersson on a Lebanc style, $1 million contract. With Pettersson at $1 million, the Penguins have $390k in cap space with this lineup:

McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Kahun
ZAR

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

Swapping in Riikola for Ruhwedel takes that down to $240k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad