Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
*snip tweet*

Yohe seems to think that the Penguins are actually cap compliant right now, so they could hypothetically not make any trades before the season opens. I may check the numbers to see if Pettersson on a $1 million deal allows the Penguins to be cap compliant with a 22 man roster, something like that would probably be the plan I imagine.

CF says we're at 81.65. Waiving Trotman and Ruhwedel opens up 1.4m. 1.9m if you want to swap out DeSmith and Jarry as well. That looks doable enough.

Gotta say - while it opens up problems down the road and adds a bit of injury risk for this season, the idea of going into this season with the roster as is is exciting. There's some question marks but also a lot of strength and a lot of potential in terms of young guys who could step forwards.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
CF says we're at 81.65. Waiving Trotman and Ruhwedel opens up 1.4m. 1.9m if you want to swap out DeSmith and Jarry as well. That looks doable enough.

Gotta say - while it opens up problems down the road and adds a bit of injury risk for this season, the idea of going into this season with the roster as is is exciting. There's some question marks but also a lot of strength and a lot of potential in terms of young guys who could step forwards.

I don't think they'd swap out DeSmith for Jarry, but yeah, you're right. I think they'd probably waive Trotman and Riikola tbh, I think Ruhwedel's spot in Pittsburgh is relatively safe. Honestly, I'd rather carry a 22 man roster and keep both Rust and Bjugstad over moving one of them just so we can have a full roster. That Pettersson long term deal is going to happen eventually, whether it be now or next off-season doesn't really matter to me.

A lineup that has Tanev-Blueger-Kahun as the 4th line? Yeah, sign me up for that immediately.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Really does seem like the high end RFAs have the entire league completely frozen.

“You can’t make a trade when you can’t find anyone to trade with,” Rutherford said. “Just the way it is.”

Which is telling from a guy who seems to sometimes go overboard just to get shit done.

MP on a 1 yr isn’t a bad thing but I do worry about call-ups and team health.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I actually looked at the numbers, JR isn't wrong that the Penguins can be cap compliant with a 22 man roster. I calculated almost exactly $80 million for 13 forwards, 6 D (Riikola in the minors) and 2 goalies, so you could be cap compliant with Pettersson on a Lebanc style, $1 million contract. With Pettersson at $1 million, the Penguins have $390k in cap space with this lineup:

McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Kahun
ZAR

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

Swapping in Riikola for Ruhwedel takes that down to $240k.

Of course he's not wrong. I've been saying this for a while. Just not sure if it's wise to have a 22 man roster and if injuries hit, they could be screwed.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Of course he's not wrong. I've been saying this for a while. Just not sure if it's wise to have a 22 man roster and if injuries hit, they could be screwed.

Yeah I have just never looked into the numbers in the past, I figured it could work but I never knew what "could work" meant. I don't have much of a problem with having a 22 man roster, as long as JR realizes that he may have to put guys on LTIR who don't need to go on LTIR. You may have to play without someone like Rust for longer, because you have to throw Rust on IR with any injury.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I have just never looked into the numbers in the past, I figured it could work but I never knew what "could work" meant. I don't have much of a problem with having a 22 man roster, as long as JR realizes that he may have to put guys on LTIR who don't need to go on LTIR. You may have to play without someone like Rust for longer, because you have to throw Rust on IR with any injury.

Scuttlebutt from Boston, who is cap strapped, is that they may put Backes, their worst contract, on LTIR because of past concussion problems...if all these teams are finding “creative” ways to put their worst contracts on LTIR, I have no doubt JR could find a way to put JJ and his brain injury on LTIR too...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Scuttlebutt from Boston, who is cap strapped, is that they may put Backes, their worst contract, on LTIR because of past concussion problems...if all these teams are finding “creative” ways to put their worst contracts on LTIR, I have no doubt JR could find a way to put JJ and his brain injury on LTIR too...

Nah, I don't think JR would do that. I think they'll survive by just skimming by as close to the cap as they can get without subtracting anyone. A trade will eventually happen because JR loves making trades, and that's when they'll clear up some cap space.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nah, I don't think JR would do that. I think they'll survive by just skimming by as close to the cap as they can get without subtracting anyone. A trade will eventually happen because JR loves making trades, and that's when they'll clear up some cap space.

I don’t think he would do that, but he should...would solve a lot of problems...

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just bury JJ in WBS at this point. Bring him up if needed. partial cap relief of that albatross is better than none. And we get the added bonus of not having to watch him every night

edit: I just have the same feeling about JJ/the Pens as I did in 2015 with Scuderi. As long as that anchor is dragging everything down the team has no shot. I understand one player doesn't make a team but when it's that bad it just pulls the rest of the team down. JR obviously fixed that in-season in '15 and made some other shrewd moves to position us really nicely so there's still hope. But man I just can't get too excited until he's gone.

Reactions: KIRK

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That Keller contract is yikereees.

Meh could be worse. He is their best player outside of OEL. They had to lock him up. And if his number bump up this year, which they should since the team is better, he'd be looking at more next offseason.

If he puts up 65+ he'd be in line for 7.5 - 8+ next offseason. Thats just the way these contracts are going.

Reactions: Riptide

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Man I'm dying for some hockey. I'm actually reasonably excited about our roster going into this season. Of course I was last season too and then Brassard proved to be a huge turd and we had all kinds of other problems.

I know this roster has some question marks but on paper the forward group looks tremendously deep. The d scares me a bit. We need Schultz to bounce back, and we need at least one of Guds or JJ to not play terribly.

I think we have some guys who are hungry though. Geno is going to want to bounce back. Gally is gonna want a huge contract and to prove he's worth his draft slot. Sid is Sid. Murray is extremely competitive.

Can't wait.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meh could be worse. He is their best player outside of OEL. They had to lock him up. And if his number bump up this year, which they should since the team is better, he'd be looking at more next offseason.

If he puts up 65+ he'd be in line for 7.5 - 8+ next offseason. Thats just the way these contracts are going.

He reminds me of a slightly better Boedker.

Reactions: Dominance

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That Keller contract is yikereees.

He is one of the few guys in the league that I simply don’t get the underlying stuff on. Makes no sense when watching him play that his metrics can be that putrid. The defensive numbers I get but he’s skilled and makes a lot of difficult plays happen.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Really does seem like the high end RFAs have the entire league completely frozen.
I think we're going to start seeing a bunch of mid-tier guys on the wrong side of 20 (dudes like Rust) who make 3-5 million dollars out of the league very soon unless something changes. The league can't sustain every 45+ point player making 6-7+ million a year, when the elite players are making so much.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just bury JJ in WBS at this point. Bring him up if needed. partial cap relief of that albatross is better than none. And we get the added bonus of not having to watch him every night

edit: I just have the same feeling about JJ/the Pens as I did in 2015 with Scuderi. As long as that anchor is dragging everything down the team has no shot. I understand one player doesn't make a team but when it's that bad it just pulls the rest of the team down. JR obviously fixed that in-season in '15 and made some other shrewd moves to position us really nicely so there's still hope. But man I just can't get too excited until he's gone.

What's kinda interesting is that if you do bury Johnson, you get really damn close to being able to afford a full 23 man roster with Pettersson signing a $1 million bridge. Burying Johnson for $1.075 million in cap relief is more than Riikola's $850k, and that takes you extremely close to being able to afford another league minimum depth player.

Edit: if you also send Riikola down and replace him with a league minimum player, you can afford a 23 man roster. How confident are you in someone like Czuzman being the everyday #6, though?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad