Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
AZ about to sign Clayton Keller for 8 yr and 7.15 AAV. I like Keller but good lawd that makes Jake's deal look all that much better.

Yes, I know it's completely different optics for a team like AZ vs a team like PIT but my point stands.

I disagree. Keller is locked up for 8 years. I'd happily pay Guentzel another 1.15m to get 3 additional years out of him. That said, there's obviously some advantage to having him at 6m in Crosby and Malkin's prime with a slight savings... but overall I don't think 1.15m would matter all that much.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019

Yohe seems to think that the Penguins are actually cap compliant right now, so they could hypothetically not make any trades before the season opens. I may check the numbers to see if Pettersson on a $1 million deal allows the Penguins to be cap compliant with a 22 man roster, something like that would probably be the plan I imagine.

Seems like the kind of thing the GM says when he's about to make a deal and is trying to squeeze just a little more out of it. Remember when he said that the Pens probably would start the season with Kessel on the roster?

Reactions: td_ice

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Really does seem like the high end RFAs have the entire league completely frozen.

MP on a 1 yr isn’t a bad thing but I do worry about call-ups and team health.

It's definitely not a long term solution, but it should be fine until we see how things play out with the RFAs. Hopefully once those guys get signed and things start moving in Nov JR will have some more options to make a move to free up cap space (cough JJ cough).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Man I'm dying for some hockey. I'm actually reasonably excited about our roster going into this season. Of course I was last season too and then Brassard proved to be a huge turd and we had all kinds of other problems.

I know this roster has some question marks but on paper the forward group looks tremendously deep. The d scares me a bit. We need Schultz to bounce back, and we need at least one of Guds or JJ to not play terribly.

I think we have some guys who are hungry though. Geno is going to want to bounce back. Gally is gonna want a huge contract and to prove he's worth his draft slot. Sid is Sid. Murray is extremely competitive.

Can't wait.

When has Gudbranson played terribly for us - or hell even bad? Outside of a game or two here and there he's been fantastic for us.

Reactions: Giskard

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What's kinda interesting is that if you do bury Johnson, you get really damn close to being able to afford a full 23 man roster with Pettersson signing a $1 million bridge. Burying Johnson for $1.075 million in cap relief is more than Riikola's $850k, and that takes you extremely close to being able to afford another league minimum depth player.

Edit: if you also send Riikola down and replace him with a league minimum player, you can afford a 23 man roster. How confident are you in someone like Czuzman being the everyday #6, though?

Czuzman, not a chance in hell. Ruhwedel however wouldn't bother me in the least.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Seems like the kind of thing the GM says when he's about to make a deal and is trying to squeeze just a little more out of it. Remember when he said that the Pens probably would start the season with Kessel on the roster?

And if memory serves, Yohe's the one who published the Kessel disinformation less than three weeks before the Kessel trade. Maybe GMJR uses Yohe for this purpose?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He reminds me of a slightly better Boedker.

Unless his rookie year is an anomaly. His first season was better than Boedker’s career year. And watching him I think he looks smoother and more skilled.

He only had 1 power goal last year as Arizona’s pp was terrible. I think with Phil and a healthy schmaltz he is gona get 65+ again. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him have pts more than phil this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Keller just turned 21 in July and led the Yotes in scoring in each of the last 2 years. Comparing him to Guentzel's a little off - he's still younger than Guentzel was as a rookie, and Keller hasn't had the benefit of riding in Crosby's sidecar.

I'd say he's worth the deal.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Keller just turned 21 in July and led the Yotes in scoring in each of the last 2 years. Comparing him to Guentzel's a little off - he's still younger than Guentzel was as a rookie, and Keller hasn't had the benefit of riding in Crosby's sidecar.

I'd say he's worth the deal.

Keller is definitely worth it, dude put up 65pts at 19 in his 2nd year in the league on the friggin yotes. Also with the cap rising in the future probably. I think this deal is good now and will be great down the line

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

You're not wrong about it being very similar... but my gut says there's a strong chance he can't squeeze the extra out of it and that he's serious about being able to do things without a trade.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Has camp started yet? We still have 10 days before it starts. Lots of time to sign him to a deal and for him to get his visa and get to town. Especially when the hold up isn't his contract.
I like your optimism.

I, however, have very little faith in this team's ability to do the right thing or the hard thing when it needs to.

Reactions: KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
because Tanev is another example of a mediocre player being (over)paid because he does ordinary things. Meanwhile, Goldobin - who is more productive and skilled than Tanev - has to sign a cheap contract.

Goldobin couldn't pack Tanev's bag to the rink. He leaches points and does nothing if he's not scoring. He's brutal defensively and is less physical than Kessel. I wouldn't trade the two (Tanev and Goldobin) 1-1 right now. Hell Vancouver could add and I still wouldn't be interested. Tanev will bring an aspect that we were missing last season. Goldobin is just a less skilled version of Kessel that we just moved on from. Why the hell we'd want that is beyond me.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
At this point i'm just praying JJ being waived is part of JR's plan to get MP locked in for the season + have the most cap space.
On the other hand, he may want to stick with him, hoping he plays well enough that he can ship him outta here.

I gotta think when JR/Sully sat down over the summer with all that happened and all the stats that are available to them that they've soured on JJ. The fact they tried moving him says that just might be the case.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
In terms of actual money paid out JJ gets $4 million this year, $3 million next year and the year after, then$2.25 million the final year of his contract.

Jack Johnson

He might be more movable at the deadline having been paid over half that $4 million, and certainly next year going forward. Especially if the Pens eat a small bit of the salary.

Harder sell now to quite a few teams with $4 million actual cash going out.

Maybe going short a man for now and trying again at the deadline makes sense.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
When has Gudbranson played terribly for us - or hell even bad? Outside of a game or two here and there he's been fantastic for us.

I'm not implying he was bad for us, but we all know what his career has been like the past few years. We'll see if the real Gudbranson is the guy we got at the deadline or if he reverts back to stinking up the joint.

I'm hoping for the former, but you gotta be at least a little worried about the latter happening.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not implying he was bad for us, but we all know what his career has been like the past few years. We'll see if the real Gudbranson is the guy we got at the deadline or if he reverts back to stinking up the joint.

I'm hoping for the former, but you gotta be at least a little worried about the latter happening.

Particularly if JJ is his partner.

Reactions: Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad