Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread:(G-DAY) Ned; Watch Out For That First Step, It's A Doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Curious if we stand still this deadline or try to mix up the mid six wings since we have several players not vibing.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think the Pens will do little if anything at the deadline. With a healthy roster, this team doesn't really have many significant holes. I thought DeSmith was a goner, but he's strung some good showings together, so maybe Hextall won't feel the need to get a new backup after all.

Aside from that, who do you really need to replace on this team? None of us sing ZAR's praises, but at the end of the day he's an acceptable fourth line player and I doubt there's a trade to be made involving him that would actually improve the team. A month ago I would have said Zucker might be swapped, but after his surgery I doubt he'll attract much interest at the trade deadline. Maybe Kapanen gets swapped for a different middle 6 kind of guy as it seems he's really struggling.

But like I said...I don't expect much. Which may be for the best; I don't know if the franchise is at a point where it's wise to sling around first round picks and what few decent prospects we have.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Do you think this coach is going to be happy if ZAR is shipped out?

1. Dude's a pro. If he doesn't like it, then he should understand that's just business. Won't be the first time and won't be the last something like that happens, and it's fairly small fry on the list of grievances. Likelihood of any unhappiness going anywhere meaningful sounds small.

2. Last ten games he's played under 10 minutes a night at 5v5. He was a healthy scratch not that long ago. If Sully really thinks ZAR's an integral part that can't be moved, he's got a funny way of showing it.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Depends on what we get for him. He makes the most sense though if we need to add a player.

No arguement from me at all. I didn't want the Pens to even qualify him or extend him (can't remember the exact context). But for a 1.75M he doesn't add much value.

But there are "political" aspects to ZAR. He's clearly a Sully favorite and if you're a new GM, that's not going to go over well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1. Dude's a pro. If he doesn't like it, then he should understand that's just business. Won't be the first time and won't be the last something like that happens, and it's fairly small fry on the list of grievances. Likelihood of any unhappiness going anywhere meaningful sounds small.

2. Last ten games he's played under 10 minutes a night at 5v5. He was a healthy scratch not that long ago. If Sully really thinks ZAR's an integral part that can't be moved, he's got a funny way of showing it.

Not to mention.

$$$.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No arguement from me at all. I didn't want the Pens to even qualify him or extend him (can't remember the exact context). But for a 1.75M he doesn't add much value.

But there are "political" aspects to ZAR. He's clearly a Sully favorite and if you're a new GM, that's not going to go over well.

I disagree. ZAR when this roster is healthy is the # 12 forward at best. If you can add an impact top nine forward for him and a pick I imagine they do it and drop Rodrigues to L4.

I also would not be surprised to see him moved for a pseudo enforcer ala deslauriers

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I kinda feel like the FO has been in cruise control for a while. They won't trade any big names and will probably do whatever they can to keep the band together as much as possible, but the fact that they're not interested in trading picks or prospects sorta rules out any significant moves. Well, that and the cap situation, particularly with Geno+Letang's new deals up in the air.

They're gonna ride out the rest of the era and let the cards fall however they fall, most likely.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I kinda feel like the FO has been in cruise control for a while. They won't trade any big names and will probably do whatever they can to keep the band together as much as possible, but the fact that they're not interested in trading picks or prospects sorta rules out any significant moves. Well, that and the cap situation, particularly with Geno+Letang's new deals up in the air.

They're gonna ride out the rest of the era and let the cards fall however they fall, most likely.
I’m shocked that Ron Hextall is on cruise control.

chirs-farley-shocked.gif

He’s been on cruise control since 2014.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Hextall is notoriously air tight. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us add this year tbh, but the times of us going big game hunting are over as they should be tbh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That return for Toffoli is the same exact return guys like Zucker, Brassard, Kapanen and such brought back. That's the going rate for complementary top-6 forwards, a 1st and a B prospect is a really fair price.

I could see us swapping out ZAR or Kapanen. That’s about it.

Honestly I just have this gut feeling that this team moves ZAR and replaces him with O'Connor, and uses the saved cap space to address the goalie situation. Just a feeling I have.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That return for Toffoli is the same exact return guys like Zucker, Brassard, Kapanen and such brought back. That's the going rate for complementary top-6 forwards, a 1st and a B prospect is a really fair price.

Honestly I just have this gut feeling that this team moves ZAR and replaces him with O'Connor, and uses the saved cap space to address the goalie situation. Just a feeling I have.

I think it’s the most logical thing to do and seems to speak directly to Hextall and Burke’s statements about losing someone they like to make any moves.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Somehow Habs fans are bitching about the return for Toffoli. Some of them were actually expecting to get Pelletier lol

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There may be some smoke there. Sullivan has really been hyping DOC's two-way game, along with his size and speed. I think the first step will be to get him back in the lineup and that may take another practice or two with contact before they activate him from LTIR.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think the Pens will do little if anything at the deadline. With a healthy roster, this team doesn't really have many significant holes. I thought DeSmith was a goner, but he's strung some good showings together, so maybe Hextall won't feel the need to get a new backup after all.

Aside from that, who do you really need to replace on this team? None of us sing ZAR's praises, but at the end of the day he's an acceptable fourth line player and I doubt there's a trade to be made involving him that would actually improve the team. A month ago I would have said Zucker might be swapped, but after his surgery I doubt he'll attract much interest at the trade deadline. Maybe Kapanen gets swapped for a different middle 6 kind of guy as it seems he's really struggling.

But like I said...I don't expect much. Which may be for the best; I don't know if the franchise is at a point where it's wise to sling around first round picks and what few decent prospects we have.
we could use a defense man that can/will clear the front of the net. imo

Reactions: Ugene Malkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad