Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread:(G-DAY) Ned; Watch Out For That First Step, It's A Doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Last page from previous thread..

Trading for Petry means that Letang is 100% gone.

Where did y’all get that rumor from btw?

Kingerski who gets it from Hfboards

Disagree. Guardiola, probably the best soccer/football coach in the world ATM says "my job is to get you to the attacking zone. Whatever you do there is up to you." I don't want my team over coached in the offensive zone.

I just don't get the perspective, mate. Even if you don't think we can compete, how does it make any sense to walk away from one of your most productive assets? It's here and now with Sid and Geno. The further down the line you go, the less likely we are to compete.

In any case I don't think we are a strong contender right now either. I think we are too bland to get there, even if we could beat anyone if ours stars are at their best, including Jarry. But I do think we are chemistry and a successful move or two away (plus health, obviously) from being right there.

If you want to stick with Geno and Letang (so do I), then you are win now. Right now. Rust has yet to turn 30, if his legs go at.... say 33... it is just unlikely to matter anymore. Maybe he still has something and we deal him with retention when we are past the days of Sid and Geno.
We are at our last shots with this core. You can argue they're past it, but I don't think anyone can argue that there are more shots down the line if we rebuild around them.
By all means change around the supporting cast, but if you aren't making a great return - or at least some sort of return! - on the few guys playing like stars, then I don't see any sense in letting them walk.

There is no reason guys showing promise from the farm should not get chances. If they show themselves ready, then you try to trade away older guys to make room. I've been on the Zohorna and Angello train since last year for instance, both because I think they add as much as some of the bottom 6'ers we have (though differently), but more so because I see them giving us something extra on an otherwise smallish and non-physical team. Some "hard to play" factor. Which we lack... so much.

But there is great difference between a guy like Zucker who has performed way below expectation after being acquired at a significant expense, and then Bryan Rust.
Again, if we had traded Rust before the season, I would have understood from an asset management point of view. But he is one of the only wo genuine top six wingers we have, and the added cap hit on him will conceivably be like 2.5 million more which he has richly deserved.
You make/save 4,75 million on replacing Zucker with Zohorna. You make another 1.1 million replacing ZAR with... whoever down there deserves it.

Maybe if you are thinking asset management like me, you see if you can get a meaningful asset/pick for Dumo (who is declining visibly, IMO) and see if POJ can swim and then there's 3 million there. And you look in UFA also, of course. For the next Ceci, etc.

Do we know if we can just pull a Kucherov with Zucker? Core muscle surgery can supposedly take 3 months but not sure how shutting him down without explicitly shutting him down would be able to work. Not sure if they can pull that off or not. It gets fun if we can. If scouts and people that would know can tell if Petry's issues are actually just emotional fallout from off ice stuff I would love to do something like

PIT:
M. Matheson
S. Poulin
N. Legare
2nd rounder

FOR

MTL:
J. Petry (full price)
Brett Kulak (@50%)

and then maybe see if GMJRs adoration of Marino and Kap can screw Vancouver with something like

PIT:
J. Marino
K. Kapanen
J. Riikola
C. DeSmith
P.O. Joseph or different future like a pick instead

FOR

VAN:
C. Garland
J.T. Miller
L. Schenn
J. Halak (retention via another team whatevers necessary I guess)

MTL/Petry and VAN/GMJRconnection are two situations where I think we could have some leverage despite our poor sellable assets that could lead to a significant swing if capitalized on right. Its definitely a gamble due to Petrys age but I'm at the point where Im actually worried Marino is Maatta 2.0 as much as that kills me to entertain. We need to either see if getting him another Jack Johnson blankie like Giordano or Chiarot fixes him or we need to get someone we arent terrrified to put on the ice in the playoffs against tough competition.

EDIT:

Guentzel - Crosby - Garland
Miller - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Rodrigues - Carter
Z. A. R. - Blueger - McGinn

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Kulak - Schenn

Jarry
Halak

Cmon

Seems realistic.

Listen friend Im under no impression the things I talk for fun about on here are going to actually happen in real life. Knowing cautious ass Hextall Im sure all we actually do is pay like a 7th rounder for Brossoint or whatever

@Russian Factor - far too many moving pieces to really contemplate, but I'd say that you overpay Montreal wildly, whereas Vancouver would never do that.

Did you try this in NHL 2022 on Xbox? Cmon brah

Well good, since that's also what Sullivan's philosophy seems to be.

Matheson has been their 2nd best defenseman this year so I'd be mildly irked if they traded him right now, to put it lightly.

It's tough to really gauge Petry on a miserable Habs team but he seems kinda shitty this season, and I don't know if we're in the best spot to gamble assets+cap/term on the guy rebounding at 34.

Dead horse and all, but I think we gotta gun for serious offensive punch if we're spending any significant assets on anything. Preferably a long-term solution, even if it costs us big in futures--though I know Hexturke have said they don't want to part with those.

you seem to start with the premise that the FO wants to put the team in the best position to win….see, I don’t see that…they seem to want to win only to the extent it can be done with certain constraints that include keeping high draft picks, being conservative with the cap etc…so if they are not going all out to improve this team’s chances of winning a Cup, including improving backup goalie, defensive balance, and another top six shooter, then I see no reason to pay Rust…sure we’ll be worse off but does it really matter if we’re just a first round exit team….get worse then and at least get a chance at winning the draft lottery lol

Why do people want to move Matheson?

He's one of the better acquisitions we've had in the past 4 years.

Yeah not sure why we're trading players that are working and helping us win. Kap is one thing but MM is really helping drive offense and cut back on his mistakes.

Yes, not getting that at all. Matheson's contract is ageing rather well and I am willing to bet by the end it will be a steal.

Trading for Petry makes absolutely no sense going forward, and that rumor that has POJ going to Montreal is even bigger trash

No thank you unless the Habs want a mid level prospect, a 3rd round pick and Pettersson for Petry and some retention

I wouldn't really touch Petry to be honest, also it seems that he is missing his family a lot which moved back to Detroit because of all the government restrictions in Montreal.

Our list of acquisitions over the last 4 years hasn’t been impressive.

Petry will be on the market if Letang signs with the Habs anyway. they have to move him to make room so Pens can be in the mix and not being hammered in the deal. I do think Letang will sign here anyway. Malkin I think will be a little more interesting as to AAV.

One player is Jason Zucker and the other is Nikita Kucherov. So you can imitate but you definitely can’t duplicate.

Also Even JR would laugh you out of the building if you came calling with that ridiculous trade.

Lol okay tiger.

And was Kap's usage not wildly different last year? Did we not have an extraordinarily strange season which is probably unduplicatable outside of a lockout year? Did injuries not gift Kap ice time and opportunities (like McCann) that he is not getting this year? How on earth are Kap's previous seasons in Toronto and his current season comparable to last year, outside of the fact that they were in the NHL?

The East was terrible last year, especially the teams who were bottom feeders like NJD, NYR, BUF, and PHI. Like I don't know how you can honestly compare the 4 conferences?

I'm fine with saying Kap thrives on different usages than he's getting this season, but that's not what you're saying, no?

If you're gonna respond to multi paragraph posts with a 1 word post of "lol", like you're 13, don't ask me to continue conversations. I've already lost interest.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Because I am...

Back on topic for a hot minute...

What on earth are people expecting for Matheson's return? If you're all about making a move to maximize the return, the smart money is to wait out the contract on him, because he's only really gaining value, especially in relation to other similarly paid D on the market. Plus, he's the only one of our expendable D with a unique (and elite) skillset, the others are basically variations on a theme.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know why LD is even in the conversation. I think an upgrade on the bottom pair RD with some size is the need. It's not a Petry kind of need, Klingberg is much more manageable due to being UFA and smaller cap hit. Ristolainen in Philly, his edge and ruggedness with his size.

I just think it's pointless to be talking about the LD.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't know why LD is even in the conversation. I think an upgrade on the bottom pair RD with some size is the need. It's not a Petry kind of need, Klingberg is much more manageable due to being UFA and smaller cap hit. Ristolainen in Philly, his edge and ruggedness with his size.

I just think it's pointless to be talking about the LD.

I get the vibe, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that a lot of the "Trade Matheson" is still based on people saying (weirdly) last year that his contract is horrendous. IMO, the worst part of the Hornqvist trade was Sceviour, why did we even want him?

Matheson's contract was average last year, this year with his improvements and the going rate for LD, it's actually starting to verge on a bargain.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
After a year in Pittsburgh, executive Brian Burke is high on the Penguins' future

Don't agree with Burke's comments on the Pens approach to the deadline, or on not moving quality futures for improvements.

If we pretty much stay pat, we're dead in the water. We have players eating up cap space who aren't worth the hit. And hoarding futures during the core's late prime would be a mistake.

Eh, I think the last paragraph is interesting.

If we aren’t doing anything at the deadline why does he reference it as an indicator of what will happen with the UFA / RFAs. I imagine this month will determine what they do given who we play.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
After a year in Pittsburgh, executive Brian Burke is high on the Penguins' future

Don't agree with Burke's comments on the Pens approach to the deadline, or on not moving quality futures for improvements.

If we pretty much stay pat, we're dead in the water. We have players eating up cap space who aren't worth the hit. And hoarding futures during the core's late prime would be a mistake.

that was my point about resigning Rust…if you’re taking the position Burke is with regard to the core’s last few years, then there’s no point in signing a 30- year-old wing to an expensive multi year contract

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
It feels like anytime there is a new Penguins hire or acquisition the Pgh media writes 10 “How great of a city is Pittsburgh?” pieces for each hire.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
that was my point about resigning Rust…if you’re taking the position Burke is with regard to the core’s last few years, then there’s no point in signing a 30- year-old wing to an expensive multi year contract

Well, Rust would cost no assets to acquire, so there's that.

I like Rust a lot I just don't think he and Guentzel are enough to get this team over the hump. Can't leave Malkin on an island and expect the 2nd line to be a consistent threat.

Eh, I think the last paragraph is interesting.

If we aren’t doing anything at the deadline why does he reference it as an indicator of what will happen with the UFA / RFAs. I imagine this month will determine what they do given who we play.

Yeah in spite of everything he said earlier that does leave some room for interpretation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, Rust would cost no assets to acquire, so there's that.

I like Rust a lot I just don't think he and Guentzel are enough to get this team over the hump. Can't leave Malkin on an island and expect the 2nd line to be a consistent threat.

Yeah in spite of everything he said earlier that does leave some room for interpretation.

Tbh, I think it makes it sound like they are more likely to trade away pieces than add them though.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
@Russian Factor - far too many moving pieces to really contemplate, but I'd say that you overpay Montreal wildly, whereas Vancouver would never do that.

Matheson has been their 2nd best defenseman this year so I'd be mildly irked if they traded him right now, to put it lightly.

It's tough to really gauge Petry on a miserable Habs team but he seems kinda shitty this season, and I don't know if we're in the best spot to gamble assets+cap/term on the guy rebounding at 34.
Dead horse and all, but I think we gotta gun for serious offensive punch if we're spending any significant assets on anything. Preferably a long-term solution, even if it costs us big in futures--though I know Hexturke have said they don't want to part with those.

Why do people want to move Matheson?
He's one of the better acquisitions we've had in the past 4 years.

Yeah not sure why we're trading players that are working and helping us win. Kap is one thing but MM is really helping drive offense and cut back on his mistakes.

Yes, not getting that at all. Matheson's contract is ageing rather well and I am willing to bet by the end it will be a steal.

I wouldn't really touch Petry to be honest, also it seems that he is missing his family a lot which moved back to Detroit because of all the government restrictions in Montreal.

Whether or not this would/could happen is certainly very doubtful (just not really my concern since we are random fans on a forum, not actual GMs, and none of what we talk about on here is Real or Matters, we are all just doing a bunch of thought experiments) but I would argue that the logic of the team composition is absolutely sound. I think value is right on for MTL (maybe a tiny bit overpay) but getting rid of money is expensive as hell. Which is why I want them to try something creative to add but keep Zucker for a playoff run to see if his sh% regresses. Then they can sell him for a low level asset as opposed to paying to lose him this summer. The individual assets we move to MTL arent even that great if you look at it. Poulin and Legare are at like a 75% likelihood of being busts at this point if we're actually being honest. But their value to MTL would hopefully be somewhat artificially juiced a bit due to the Frenchie factor. Maybe take the pick from that trade and add it to the VAN one and make it a first. Was mainly just trying to outline the main pieces that should form the basis of the deal, pure value determination was secondary

All the Mike Matheson love on here now is so interesting. Penguins are very smart in placing decent players playing above their ability lower in the lineup and "fixing" them. Ceci, Schultz, etc, and now Matheson. If you think our usage is the main reason they are flourishing, as I do, then you would be very down with trying to move MM now when his value has been rehab'd a bit due to careful deployment. Does anyone actually trust him? He could continue along this trajectory... or he could start doing what he has his entire career up to this point and start randomly throwing grenades in front of his own net for no reason out of nowhere at a bad time. His mistakes from brain farts are not just the normal kind an offensive D man sometimes makes. They are so bad they look like he is trying to make his own team lose on purpose they are so bad. Whereas Petry is basically Letang-lite as of just last year and if he can get back to 50% of that hes so much better for us its not even funny. Hes a warrior and his stats and play style (as of last year, we are operating under the assumption here that many execs supposedly are also which is that his play tanking this year is just from things that would not be present if he came here, namely covid stuff/having to be The Guy/bad team/nothing to play for) are tailor made for this team. We would have two Letang-Dumo pairs basically. It could revolutionize our puck moving and help our forwards so much it would be crazy. Think like Colorado type stuff. Then we have an elite D corps we can feel comfortable with as an actual contender going into the playoffs and also have some Letang security. All that said, if you think Petry is actually what he has been this year and hes cooked I dont blame you for not wanting to take that risk. Perfectly valid to me. Idk I just think this is the sort of gamble that could pay off so well that we should take it. I think we need something like that to really put us over the top. I just look at our D as currently constituted and it gives me a little pause. Marino isnt strong enough for me right now. Need to acquire a D to replace him and sell high on him or find him a partner that changes his play significantly. Someone like Gio or Chiarot to handle strength battles at the net front, give him guidance, basically be the veteran leader of the pair. Marino just doesnt have the confidence to be his pair leader right now.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Whether or not this would/could happen is certainly very doubtful (just not really my concern since we are random fans on a forum, not actual GMs, and none of what we talk about on here is Real or Matters, we are all just doing a bunch of thought experiments) but I would argue that the logic of the team composition is absolutely sound. I think value is right on for MTL (maybe a tiny bit overpay) but getting rid of money is expensive as hell. Which is why I want them to try something creative to add but keep Zucker for a playoff run to see if his sh% regresses. Then they can sell him for a low level asset as opposed to paying to lose him this summer. The individual assets we move to MTL arent even that great if you look at it. Poulin and Legare are at like a 75% likelihood of being busts at this point if we're actually being honest. But their value to MTL would hopefully be somewhat artificially juiced a bit due to the Frenchie factor. Maybe take the pick from that trade and add it to the VAN one and make it a first. Was mainly just trying to outline the main pieces that should form the basis of the deal, pure value determination was secondary

All the Mike Matheson love on here now is so interesting. Penguins are very smart in placing decent players playing above their ability lower in the lineup and "fixing" them. Ceci, Schultz, etc, and now Matheson. If you think our usage is the main reason they are flourishing, as I do, then you would be very down with trying to move MM now when his value has been rehab'd a bit due to careful deployment. Does anyone actually trust him? He could continue along this trajectory... or he could start doing what he has his entire career up to this point and start randomly throwing grenades in front of his own net for no reason out of nowhere at a bad time. His mistakes from brain farts are not just the normal kind an offensive D man sometimes makes. They are so bad they look like he is trying to make his own team lose on purpose they are so bad. Whereas Petry is basically Letang-lite as of just last year and if he can get back to 50% of that hes so much better for us its not even funny. Hes a warrior and his stats and play style (as of last year, we are operating under the assumption here that many execs supposedly are also which is that his play tanking this year is just from things that would not be present if he came here, namely covid stuff/having to be The Guy/bad team/nothing to play for) are tailor made for this team. We would have two Letang-Dumo pairs basically. It could revolutionize our puck moving and help our forwards so much it would be crazy. Think like Colorado type stuff. Then we have an elite D corps we can feel comfortable with as an actual contender going into the playoffs and also have some Letang security. All that said, if you think Petry is actually what he has been this year and hes cooked I dont blame you for not wanting to take that risk. Perfectly valid to me. Idk I just think this is the sort of gamble that could pay off so well that we should take it. I think we need something like that to really put us over the top. I just look at our D as currently constituted and it gives me a little pause. Marino isnt strong enough for me right now. Need to acquire a D to replace him and sell high on him or find him a partner that changes his play significantly. Someone like Gio or Chiarot to handle strength battles at the net front, give him guidance, basically be the veteran leader of the pair. Marino just doesnt have the confidence to be his pair leader right now.
i think we agree, could you send me the cliffs notes? so i can be sure.:nod:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I don’t understand the hesitance to add Petry. He’s very good and his contract isn’t too outrageous, plus it insulates us if Letang walks.

I was advocating for this in the offseason

Dumoulin, Letang and Marino out
Petry, Gudas, Olesiak and Toews in

Toews-Petry
Matheson-Gudas
Pettersson-Olesiak

Preferably have Gudas on the 3rd pair and use the assets from selling off to upgrade 2nd pair RD, then no need for Olesiak.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

I dont know about anyone else but I was in the Matheson camp day 1. I thought a change of scenery would do him wonders. Last year you seen flashes of it but what I really think we are seeing is a player coming into his prime years and finally getting comfortable and learning a new system Sullivan approaches.

Being a D-man in the NHL is one of the tougher positions there is, that's why they tend to mature at a later age. You can see it in Maths game, he is making less mistakes and joining or leading a rush at better times.

I think he will only get better as the "system" comes more natural to him and by the end of this contract we are saying he was a steal. Add to the fact he brings a skillset that not many in the NHL can match.

That's why I am in the why would we trade MM camp

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don’t understand the hesitance to add Petry. He’s very good and his contract isn’t too outrageous, plus it insulates us if Letang walks.

Because Tanger hasn't walked yet and making a move like that all but guarantees he walks.

Plus Petry is signed another 3 years at 6.25 how much more is Letang going to cost because the difference in Petry and Letang is pretty substantial IMO

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If Sleepy feels he won’t be able to sign Rust, Geno or Tanger, does he trade someone before the expansion draft? It would suck to lose one or more for nothing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Because Tanger hasn't walked yet and making a move like that all but guarantees he walks.

Plus Petry is signed another 3 years at 6.25 how much more is Letang going to cost because the difference in Petry and Letang is pretty substantial IMO

I don't want Petry per se, but you move Zucker and Petterson in the offseason and you can afford both. I don't know if you'd want to, again, but it's totally do-able.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
All the Mike Matheson love on here now is so interesting. Penguins are very smart in placing decent players playing above their ability lower in the lineup and "fixing" them. Ceci, Schultz, etc, and now Matheson. If you think our usage is the main reason they are flourishing, as I do, then you would be very down with trying to move MM now when his value has been rehab'd a bit due to careful deployment.

I mean, if you get an absolute banger deal for any of the dozens of other needs we have, but the cost is Matheson, you think about it, of course. He's not on the Letang/Malkin/Jake/Sid level of "nearly impossible to trade". But at the same time, his value is still going to go up a bit, even if he is still not the borderline top pairing LD we all hope he could be in the near future. It's not like elite skating LD who are decent in their own end and excellent in transition grow on trees.

So, barring an insane JR overpayment for him, I say you keep him for another season or two and sell him on the rebuild like anything else of value. :dunno: That's my read on it.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don't want Petry per se, but you move Zucker and Petterson in the offseason and you can afford both. I don't know if you'd want to, again, but it's totally do-able.

True, and I would wonder in that scenario if we gutted Petts/Zucker we could probably upgrade the D and O instead of just Petry. I like Petry and think him coming back to the states and not playing in Montreal would most likely do him wonders but I am not sure he's the answer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
True, and I would wonder in that scenario if we gutted Petts/Zucker we could probably upgrade the D and O instead of just Petry. I like Petry and think him coming back to the states and not playing in Montreal would most likely do him wonders but I am not sure he's the answer.

Petry kind of makes sense to me if we're doing a hail-mary reconfigure of the blueline in the offseason and we're trading off Dumo, Petts/Marino, and Zucker and thus can accomodate the extra hits. But I don't think that's a feasible solution or even really a good idea.

That said, trading Petts and taking on Petry means we're only adding about 2.5 in cap, so again, trimming the fat elsewhere makes it feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad