Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread:(G-DAY) Ned; Watch Out For That First Step, It's A Doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Anybody know where someone could find a heat map of goals allowed by the Pens? I feel like front of the net isn't an area of concern so much as pucks hitting our own d-men and going in.

A heat map wouldn't make that distinction anyways. All goals from the front of the net will count. The fact is, though, there are times when the net is a cluster **** either not being cleared or not being protected at all with opponents all alone in front of the net. That has cleaned up a bit, but one can't argue it hasn't been ugly at times. Jarry has covered up a good bit of this with proof is him being below 2.0 for a good stretch. The PK has faltered lately.

The point being, is a heat map won't make those distinctions.

Reactions: The Old Master

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Siegenthaler has been good for NJ.

I never said he was bad, I was just saying that's what a 3rd rounder gets you. A 3rd rounder gets you a young player who has fallen out of favor with their old team (such as Siegenthaler and Beau Bennett), a pure rental depth piece (such as Goc or Eakin) or a reclamation project (such as Gustafsson or Schultz). You're not pulling anything of serious value for a 3rd round pick.

At least generally, the kind of returns you get for guys like ZAR are at most a 3rd and at least a 5th. The guys bringing back the 5ths are usually more "13th forward" types and the guys bringing back 3rds are "former 3rd liners who aren't 3rd liners anymore" types.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I never said he was bad, I was just saying that's what a 3rd rounder gets you. A 3rd rounder gets you a young player who has fallen out of favor with their old team (such as Siegenthaler and Beau Bennett), a pure rental depth piece (such as Goc or Eakin) or a reclamation project (such as Gustafsson or Schultz). You're not pulling anything of serious value for a 3rd round pick.

At least generally, the kind of returns you get for guys like ZAR are at most a 3rd and at least a 5th. The guys bringing back the 5ths are usually more "13th forward" types and the guys bringing back 3rds are "former 3rd liners who aren't 3rd liners anymore" types.
true. but a 3rd rounder added to your first could just be enough to get you the guy you really want at the draft.:nod:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That’s because your evaluation of the sport and anything associated with it is terrible.
Says the guy that literally said Sully going to bench ZAR for big Z. Big Z has been eating popcorn since your proclamation.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
true. but a 3rd rounder added to your first could just be enough to get you the guy you really want at the draft.:nod:

Eh the 3rd rounder probably only moves you up like 2 spots in the 1st round :laugh:

I think 3rd rounders are more valuable as lottery chips, and I'd even throw out teams are way smarter for trading 3rd rounders for multiple later picks. If I was a GM, I'd trade my 3rd for 2 4ths or a 4th and a 5th every year, because a 4th rounder really isn't any worse than a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: The Old Master

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You have trouble reading people’s actual points. I get it.
Which is it today, pixie? Do you like ZAR again or is he trash? It changes by the hour, depending on who you are fighting with, I mean talking to.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which is it today, pixie? Do you like ZAR again or is he trash again? It changes by the hour, depending on who you are fighting with, I mean talking to.

Saying ZAR has value does not mean I like him.

Saying Sullivan’s usage of ZAR when we are down a few forwards is potentially revealing about how he feels about ZAR is also not saying Sullivan is going to immediately scratch ZAR.

Try to keep up. I know it’s hard when you are just trying to find gifs and new ways to say sleepy or this organization sucks.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Eh the 3rd rounder probably only moves you up like 2 spots in the 1st round :laugh:

I think 3rd rounders are more valuable as lottery chips, and I'd even throw out teams are way smarter for trading 3rd rounders for multiple later picks. If I was a GM, I'd trade my 3rd for 2 4ths or a 4th and a 5th every year, because a 4th rounder really isn't any worse than a 3rd rounder.

Dunno fam, based on this one - By the numbers: Revisiting the true value of a draft pick – The Athletic - I'd say the 3rd looks a fair bit more valuable than the 4th.

This is however fairly pedantic and 3rds aren't worth much and I think I can guess just who/why there's a page full of people arguing about this...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Saying ZAR has value does not mean I like him.

Saying Sullivan’s usage of ZAR when we are down a few forwards is potentially revealing about how he feels about ZAR is also not saying Sullivan is going to immediately scratch ZAR.

Try to keep up. I know it’s hard when you are just trying to find gifs and new ways to say sleepy or this organization sucks.
“I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see ZAR be scratched. soon.”
-Pixie a couple days ago

But also
“4th line has been great through 3 games.”
-Pixie

I know im slow, but come on…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
NHL GMs: one GM trades a 1st rounder for Goodrow before another GM pays him $3.5 million long term
Uneducated HFPens posters: who would even want ZAR at $1.75 million?

I really wish the people who just spend their entire time bitching here would even slightly attempt to educate themselves on literally any other team.

At absolute worst, ZAR brings back a 4th rounder, and I'd probably bet a 3rd rounder as a bit more realistic. Cody Eakin in 2020 had the same exact stat line as ZAR has right now (10 points in 41 games) and made $3.85 million, and was still traded for a 3rd.

Eakin had 100 career goals and almost 250 career points and plays center. And was coming off a 20 goals, 40 pts seasons. Zar has 28 career goals and 60 career points. He is coming off a 15pt season.

Not a good comparison.

Pitlick was traded for a 4th over the summer and is more in line with ZAR. I expect ZAR to fetch a 4th maybe a 5th if we need to move him for space.

Its not like he is that young. He will be 28 this summer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eakin had 100 career goals and almost 250 career points and plays center. And was coming off a 20 goals, 40 pts seasons. Zar has 28 career goals and 60 career points. He is coming off a 15pt season.

Not a good comparison.

Pitlick was traded for a 4th over the summer and is more in line with ZAR. I expect ZAR to fetch a 4th maybe a 5th if we need to move him for space.

I’m confused because Cody Eakin was moved for a conditional 4th.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Not a good comparison.

ZAR could get to 100 goals if he plays for the next 80 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille