Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread:(G-DAY) Ned; Watch Out For That First Step, It's A Doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah me either. Hopefully Desmith starts coming around. Allows us to invest more up front.

I feel like Zacha would be a good piece for us to add if we can. Him and Malkin seem like they’d work well.
Don’t you think that’s too much of a gamble though to not upgrade goaltending? You can’t piss away two consecutive years like this. You need some type of insurance. I hope two games against Ottawa and Detroit haven’t convinced people DeSmith is fine.

Don’t justify not making a move because that’s what you think Sleepy will do.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Don’t you think that’s too much of a gamble though to not upgrade goaltending? You can’t piss away two consecutive years like this. You need some type of insurance. I hope two games against Ottawa and Detroit haven’t convinced people DeSmith is fine.

Don’t justify not making a move because that’s what you think Sleepy will do.

I don’t really see an improvement on Desmith available for cheap.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Zucker-Sid-Rust
Guentzel-Geno-Carter
McGinn-Blueger-Kap
Heinen-Erod-?

Thinking of the playoffs and how to balance our roster...I know GCR is life. But we won't win if they're the only cohesive line.

I go back to Sid/Zucker showing some chemistry. Think that line could work especially if Rust continues balling.
Geno would get two great shooters and Carter to help on draws.
The 3rd line could be a real b**** to play against. Mostly cause Blue/McGinn are real solid together.
Heinen/Erod could be a really nice start to a 4th line. Maybe we can get a heavy RW at the deadline to bolster that line.

We know Zucker-Geno-Kap isn't the answer. So why not get creative.

Extras: Boyle/Zohorna/DOC
Trade: ZAR
Waive: Simon

If nothing else I'd like:
-A heavy bottom 6 wing
-A heavy bottom pairing Dman

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Yeah me either. Hopefully Desmith starts coming around. Allows us to invest more up front.

I feel like Zacha would be a good piece for us to add if we can. Him and Malkin seem like they’d work well.

The next time a trade is made -- and actually works out -- based solely on "Player X will light it up playing next to Malkin!!!" will be the first one since February 21, 2011.

So I guess we're due.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'm not really expecting them to get a goalie save for a drastic injury to Jarry/DeSmith anyways.
Only goalie move I could see them making is MAF due to the history/friendship he has with the core. Otherwise I agree, they will roll with what they got. CDS has really picked up his play of late, which I think made goaltending a nonissue in managements mind.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Everyone is mad at you guys for bumping this one and not posting in the new one.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Only goalie move I could see them making is MAF due to the history/friendship he has with the core. Otherwise I agree, they will roll with what they got. CDS has really picked up his play of late, which I think made goaltending a nonissue in managements mind.
They would be foolish to convince themselves based off two recent games against two non-playoff teams that DeSmith is fine, considering he’s played poorly for about 10 months.

It sucks that Halak might not want to be traded, but this should have been addressed this past off season. I don’t think management is that naive to believe DeSmith is good enough. If management fails to upgrade DeSmith, and our goaltending falters again, that would look awful for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They even commented on it with how the team was playing earlier this season giving him a pass.

I can see where adding a depth D-man comes into play, and that might be priority #1 for them. They don't have many sure fire guys they can trust if one of the D-men go down.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
They would be foolish to convince themselves based off two recent games against two non-playoff teams that DeSmith is fine, considering he’s played poorly for about 10 months.

It sucks that Halak might not want to be traded, but this should have been addressed this past off season. I don’t think management is that naive to believe DeSmith is good enough. If management fails to upgrade DeSmith, and our goaltending falters again, that would look awful for them.
Not really. If Jarry implodes again come playoffs, Halak isnt going to save anything. Really there is only 1 goalie that is available and has the pedigree to carry a team in the playoffs, MAF. Halak is just another middling backup. Pens are riding or dying with Jarry.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
They even commented on it with how the team was playing earlier this season giving him a pass.

I can see where adding a depth D-man comes into play, and that might be priority #1 for them. They don't have many sure fire guys they can trust if one of the D-men go down.
Yeah.... And there are lots avaiable to add. Scoring is a different question. Depth defense are always needed for long runs. Just annoying they wont try out POJ/Spearman/Riiko first to see what they got.

Reactions: The Old Master

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah.... And there are lots avaiable to add. Scoring is a different question. Depth defense are always needed for long runs. Just annoying they wont try out POJ/Spearman/Riiko first to see what they got.
Don’t knock Sully’s lineup decisions around these parts.

you-can-get-out-skeeter.gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When has that mattered to our coaches, ever? :laugh:

Besides Petry, what RD are available? Petry is a pipedream and the last thing we need is to spend more cap space on a defenseman.

I'd try to shake Risto loose from the Flyers. But yeah, RD is a hard find. We are also targeting guys at the top of the list when the target could be further down considering it's the RD #6 spot.

I hate the Luke Schenn kind of target, but he'd be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille