Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Summer League Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's still hockey when you don't have the puck :P

He's functioned pretty well when joining the rush and shooting too. Just his passing and vision is notably worse than our other dmen which, tbh, is not the end of the world. I guess I'd want to look again at how well he's gapping and staying connected to his D partner before absolutely committing to this but I think he's been okay to good, maybe more good at the non-puck stuff... just, you know, shame he's probably not really NHL standard at puck stuff.

I expect those positives to dwindle in real games, tbh. He won’t get the space or time. Him being able to cruise up the slot and get a shot off won’t happen, he’ll get pressured at the point more, players will be more aggressive, etc. It’ll be the same old problem once it’s not an intra-squad scrimmage to warm up for the playoffs and everyone gets going.

He was still doing his flinging the puck in the general area of his D partner thing without much pressure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I expect those positives to dwindle in real games, tbh. He won’t get the space or time. Him being able to cruise up the slot and get a shot off won’t happen, he’ll get pressured at the point more, players will be more aggressive, etc. It’ll be the same old problem once it’s not an intra-squad scrimmage to warm up for the playoffs and everyone gets going.

He was still doing his flinging the puck in the general area of his D partner thing without much pressure.

I'd rather he flung it in the general area of his D partner than the middle of the ice. That's a step forwards for him.

Some of his issues will stand out more but equally high intensity games where time and space is scarcer suits his pin and grab defensive style. He needs a lot of shielding but he's been effective enough once he's been shielded this season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah by the stuff Ive been reading, it sounds like POJ will either make the team out of camp, or he will be called up real soon after. They say though he isn't the weight of an ideal NHLer his strength has increased drastically enough where he can play and not get bullied around.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From playing around with Capfriendly's armchair GM tool, I wonder how likely it is that the Penguins just buyout Bjugstad this off-season or pay someone else to buy him out. Bjugstad's buyout is very tame ($600k next year and $1.75 million in 21-22), and even the Penguins buying him out likely allows them to keep both goalies without any problem. You'd have roughly $3.5 million in cap space with this lineup (assuming $1.5m for Simon, $3m for McCann, $800k for Lafferty, $5m for Murray and $2m for Jarry):

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
XXXXX-Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Ruhwedel
XXXXX

Murray-Jarry

Bjugstad's buyout isn't ideal because of the $1.75 million cap hit in the second year, but it's not like super bad. And who knows, maybe you can retain $1 million on him for next year and trade him somewhat easily.

I'd also throw out that if the Penguins can move Bjugstad this off-season, I'm more inclined to trade Simon and re-sign Sheary, too. You can probably get Sheary for only about $1-$1.5 million more than what Simon costs, and I'd definitely make that trade-off. It's also worth pointing out that Simon's shoulder is shot and he may miss the beginning of next season, which may keep his extension price down a little bit and make the money difference between him and Sheary a little larger.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Keeping both goalies is ideal, and would hopefully work in our favor regarding Murray or Jarry bumping their value up. If Murray and Jarry eat up 7m, I'm all for that.

And I hate any lineup that has Ruhwedel as an every day player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Keeping both goalies is ideal, and would hopefully work in our favor regarding Murray or Jarry bumping their value up. If Murray and Jarry eat up 7m, I'm all for that.

And I hate any lineup that has Ruhwedel as an every day player.

I personally don't have a problem with this, but even if you did, you have like $4 million in cap space to address that and add a 14th forward if you can trade Bjugstad.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm still not entirely sold on keeping both goalies (at least not at the likely price range for some team control which I think is higher than Empo reckons), but it is nice to think that Bjugstad is a very easy get out of jail. The second season hit of 1.75m when the roster would presumably be pretty settled and need a good haircut due to Marino isn't pleasant, but eh.

I also think if Rutherford wants to play hardball he can probably get Simon for a million.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm still not entirely sold on keeping both goalies (at least not at the likely price range for some team control which I think is higher than Empo reckons), but it is nice to think that Bjugstad is a very easy get out of jail. The second season hit of 1.75m when the roster would presumably be pretty settled and need a good haircut due to Marino isn't pleasant, but eh.

I also think if Rutherford wants to play hardball he can probably get Simon for a million.

I think both Murray and Jarry get 1 year deals this off-season. I think that's almost a guarantee, unless JR gets offered a crazy good package to trade one of them. Jarry's not proven as a starter yet and Murray's coming off an awful year. Maybe you can get Jarry on a 2 year deal, but I think Murray's definitely a 1 year deal if they keep him.

You could be right on Simon, too. If you can get Simon for that price range, it become a much stronger argument to keep him over re-signing Sheary. Sheary would have to come in at below $2.5 million for me to think about re-signing him over Simon at $1 million.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
whether they keep Murray for another year depends on what kind of futures return they can get for him...he won’t sign for less money unless it’s a one-year deal to take him to UFA...I could see that being for about $5 mil....Jarry should be signed for 2-3 years....I’d rather they trade Murray but the return is very important

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think both Murray and Jarry get 1 year deals this off-season. I think that's almost a guarantee, unless JR gets offered a crazy good package to trade one of them. Jarry's not proven as a starter yet and Murray's coming off an awful year. Maybe you can get Jarry on a 2 year deal, but I think Murray's definitely a 1 year deal if they keep him.

You could be right on Simon, too. If you can get Simon for that price range, it become a much stronger argument to keep him over re-signing Sheary. Sheary would have to come in at below $2.5 million for me to think about re-signing him over Simon at $1 million.

I'm not a fan of walking to Murray to UFA for reasons I think I've said a dozen reasons before but I can see it happening I guess; not that different from keeping MAF in 2016 in a way. You do probably have enough money to give him a little term there with your calculation though.

And it seems unlike Rutherford to play hardball, but my logic on Simon is that if Rutherford doesn't qualify him (avoiding any annoying arbitration scenario) and says "I can give you a small bump and as much time with Sid as you can claim, I don't have the money to sign a better option today, or you can go for more money elsewhere and good luck to you", what's Simon's likely response? He may not like it, but sticking here would probably be in his best interests.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Should Murray (or Jarry) be traded, I hope the trade return includes a good player that's expansion draft exempt. There's a few good options on teams that could use a goalie.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I have been in the trade Murray and hope he is really good these playoffs for many reasons. Buffalo seems to be in the win now mode and Murray certainly gives them that starting goalie to fill that hole.

Reactions: ownal

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Actually, for those thinking keep both goalies, is your mind going to change depending on how the goalies look in the playoffs?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Actually, for those thinking keep both goalies, is your mind going to change depending on how the goalies look in the playoffs?

not for me...if Murray or Jarry plays well, the return should be better, if anything...to me, it all depends on the return and the cost/term of the remaining goalie...I just don’t want Murray signed for more than 3-4 years...that’s my worry, as well as the cost per year we’re sinking into him...that’s why I favor trading him...regardless of which one they trade, I really hope JR goes after a really good 1B proven goalie like Khudobin...because both Murray and Jarry are average (or should I say inconsistent), so whoever remains should have a very good backup if he runs into a stretch of poor play...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: depends on a whole lot. For example, what if Murray plays outstanding, wins another Cup, and a Conn Smythe? That'll bump up his contract greatly. If that happens, I assume the Pens cannot afford both he and Jarry. I'd then trade Jarry. Too many variables and outcomes to definitively answer.

Reactions: Peat

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
There is absolutely no way either Murray or Jarry would sign one year deals. That would not benefit either of them in anyway. And I could see getting a known 1B goalie from trades or free agency IF you trade Murray and you don't trust DeSmith.

Reactions: EightyOne

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean, not really. If Murray falters it means we likely get him cheap. If Jarry goes crazy it likely means we get Murray cheaper. If Murray wins a cup, he deserves a contract.

If Murray falters or Jarry otherwise completely outplays him, then I doubt he's staying.

If Murray wins a cup, then I see them giving him a contract, but there will be a limit to how high they'll go.

The more interesting question is what happens if things fall somewhere in between, say like last playoffs. IMHO, he's probably gone unless it's more team than player friendly in term and dollars.

Honestly, gaming this one out . . . I think Murray's gone unless he doesn't falter and isn't pushing for higher dollars (either the dollars he might want if he backstops a 3rd cup OR the dollars he might want if he's like last playoffs).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Naw, if MM does godlike he will ask for a Vasilevskiy type contract. Could probably get him for a great return.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, not really. If Murray falters it means we likely get him cheap. If Jarry goes crazy it likely means we get Murray cheaper. If Murray wins a cup, he deserves a contract.

If he falters though, why do you want him back? My take would be if he doesn't bring the right level this playoffs, then something about being here or his ability has altered to the point that we're not getting doubles winner Murray back, and I see no reason not to move on. Two not-good regular seasons and three not-good post-seasons would be too much for me to keep the faith.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad