Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Summer League Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We don't really need another forward. I'd like to maybe add a guy to maintain the skill/grind balance, but we are deep when it comes to forward and can keep pumping ELCs into the bottom six.

And finding a better dman than JJ is like finding someone who wants a chat at an old folks home - only way you're not managing it is if you never go in.

It’s funny that you think no chatty old person would get you outside the home. The smokers are outside and chatty. The metaphor holds.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't know really what to think of Bjugstad.

Has he even actually played a game as a Penguin? Obviously I'm foolin' but I feel like his time here has been largely inconclusive and probably best for both sides to throw in the towel and get him a new start.

He really hasn't because he has never had a chance to get comfortable in...FIFTY GAMES OVER 2 YEARS. The best game he ever played in a Pens sweater was the first game of the playoffs last year. I thought to myself that we had found an absolute monster. He was throwing crushing hits, leaning on guys defensively. That was the first and last time that guy showed up.

I really think he would fit in ridiculously well with Jake and Sid, but I am not optimistic we will ever see him get there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He really hasn't because he has never had a chance to get comfortable in...FIFTY GAMES OVER 2 YEARS. The best game he ever played in a Pens sweater was the first game of the playoffs last year. I thought to myself that we had found an absolute monster. He was throwing crushing hits, leaning on guys defensively. That was the first and last time that guy showed up.

I really think he would fit in ridiculously well with Jake and Sid, but I am not optimistic we will ever see him get there.

I don't think he's a Sid guy. He likes to hold onto the puck too much himself and doesn't play at a high enough tempo.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think he's a Sid guy. He likes to hold onto the puck too much himself and doesn't play at a high enough tempo.

I would agree with you in general, but I don't think Bjugstad would have a choice because Sid and Jake play at the same speed. Bjugstad would come into play with zone possession, or defensively kind of how Dupuis did.

I was not a huge fan of the guy as a 3c, so he needs to be tried at RW, IMO.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

After the trade, one of Bjugstad’s former teammates actually said that him and Crosby would be deadly together or something to that effect.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm curious if there is ever a point in time Sully starts playing Jusso Riikola.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm curious if there is ever a point in time Sully starts playing Jusso Riikola.

Probably not because he's not very good.

If the options are 2 bad players, with one being a veteran and one being a young guy, the veteran is going to play every time.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

If the options are 2 bad players, with one being a veteran and one being a young guy, the veteran is going to play every time.

I have never had an issue with how he plays. In fact, when given stretches of games, I thought he did well. He has never been able to be put in a position and just stick there with the same partner.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So I've got nothing better to do here (he said an hour ago)... this is JJ/Schultz's games together over the last two seasons

10/11/18 - VGK - Bad possession stats, 2-1 on scoreboard. W. This was the game that Kessel destroyed Subban on breakaways iirc.
---
02/16/19 - Flames - Bad possession stats, 1-1 on scoreboard. L.
02/17/19 - NYR - Average possession stats, 1-1 on scoreboard. W.
02/19/19 - NJD - Abysmal possession stats, 0-1 on scoreboard. W.
02/21/19 - SJS - Abysmal possession stats, 0-0 on scoreboard. L.
02/23/19 - Flyers - Average possession stats, 2-0 on scoreboard. L. Played 21 minutes.
02/26/189- CBJ - Bad possession stats, 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
03/01/19 - BUF - Good possession stats, 0-0 on scoreboard. L.
03/02/19 - MON - Bad possession stats, 1-1 on scoreboard. W.
03/05/19 - FLA - Good possession stats, 1-0 on scoreboard. W.
03/07/19 - CBJ - Great possession stats, 1-0 on scoreboard. W.
03/09/19 - CBJ - Average possession stats, 0-0 on scoreboard. L.
03/10/19 - BOS - Great possession stats, 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
03/12/19 - WSH - Bad possession stats, 2-1 on scoreboard. W.
03/14/19 - BUF - Average possession stats, 1-0 on scorboard. W
03/16/19 - STL - Bad possession stats, 0-0 on scoeboard. L.
03/19/19 - Canes - Bad possession stats, 0-1 on scoreboard. L.
03/21/19 - NSH - Good possession stats, 0-1 on scoreboard. W.
03/23/19 - DAL - Average possession stats, 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
03/25/19 - NYR - Abysmal possession stats, 0-1 on scoreboard. W.
03/29/19 - NSH - Abysmal possession stats. 0-1 on scoreboard. L.
03/31/19 - Canes - Average possession stats. 1-0 on scoreboard. W.
04/02/19 - DET - Average possession stats. 1-0 on scoreboard. L.
04/04/19 - DET - Abysmal possession stats. 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
06/04/19 - NYR - Good possession stats. 1-1 on socreboard. L.
---
10/03/19 - BUF - Abysmal possession stats. 0-0 on scoreboard. L.
---
12/07/19 - DET - Average possession stats. 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
12/10/19 - MON - Average possession stats. 0-0- on scoreboard. L.
12/12/19 - CBJ - Average possession stats. 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
12/14/19 - LAK - Bad possession stats. 0-0 on scoreboard. W.
---
03/05/20 - BUF - Abysmal possession stats. 0-1 on socreboard. W.
03/07/20 - WSH - Bad possession stats. 0-1 on scoreboard. L.
03/08/20 - Canes - Abysmal possession stats. 1-2 on scoreboard. L.
03/10/20 - NJD - Abysmal possession stats. 1-0 on scoreboard. W.

By memory of the team's form, they were bad against Vegas, bad through February, rallied for most of March, bad against Buffalo, good December, bad March. Which seems to be mostly mirrored in the partnership. If the team plays well in front of them, the partnership isn't an anchor. Try and play loosey-goosey and it will kill them. Which is a mild relief?

Still think I might prefer Coughdrop-Ruh

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

As true as this generally is, Riikola's a tier above.

Riikola hasn't impressed, but JJ's a damn embarrassment every game. What is he supposed to bring at this point?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh, it doesn't have to be JJ or Riikola. They had a little spell together that was pretty good and it wasn't against total jabronis either; they had a couple of good games against the Islanders, which isn't an easy style match up for us. And they do cover each other's weak points.

I know it's not happening, but I'd be interested in it getting a shot in the playoffs.

I actually think JJ's been okay at camp as long as you're not asking him to pass or keep it in the zone under pressure. I know that's a horrible conditional but he's doing the job okay. I've liked Riikola's transition game. And while I thought Schultz had a good scrimmage today, he's not been a strong choice recently.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I actually think JJ's been okay at camp as long as you're not asking him to pass or keep it in the zone under pressure..

In other words, JJ’s been okay at camp as long as he isn’t playing hockey...because that’s what you just said...I concur

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petts and Marino are the second pairing duo and I suspect POJ will be here next year with both Schultz UFA and JJ dealt to clear cap space and add a RH D man next year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In other words, JJ’s been okay at camp as long as he isn’t playing hockey...because that’s what you just said...I concur

It's still hockey when you don't have the puck :P

He's functioned pretty well when joining the rush and shooting too. Just his passing and vision is notably worse than our other dmen which, tbh, is not the end of the world. I guess I'd want to look again at how well he's gapping and staying connected to his D partner before absolutely committing to this but I think he's been okay to good, maybe more good at the non-puck stuff... just, you know, shame he's probably not really NHL standard at puck stuff.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's still hockey when you don't have the puck :P

He's functioned pretty well when joining the rush and shooting too. Just his passing and vision is notably worse than our other dmen which, tbh, is not the end of the world. I guess I'd want to look again at how well he's gapping and staying connected to his D partner before absolutely committing to this but I think he's been okay to good, maybe more good at the non-puck stuff... just, you know, shame he's probably not really NHL standard at puck stuff.

Lol...ok, so he’s replacement level at half of his job...imagine if your boss graded you out as only being able to do half of the job required of you...do you think you’d keep that job? I know we’re looking to find some good things JJ does but look at the overall picture...and that’s not to say I think Riikola also doesn’t have problems with half the defenseman job description

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lol...ok, so he’s replacement level at half of his job...imagine if your boss graded you out as only being able to do half of the job required of you...do you think you’d keep that job? I know we’re looking to find some good things JJ does but look at the overall picture...and that’s not to say I think Riikola also doesn’t have problems with half the defenseman job description

NHL players aren't graded equally on every part of their job though; the parts where they excel are graded higher because coaches (mostly rightfully) believe they can hide the weaknesses more easily than they can do without the big strengths. I'm not saying the equation there should be coming out in JJ's favour as much as Sully believes but I do strongly believe that in the overall picture, the good things matter more than the bad unless the bad are really, unforgivably bad (they're close). The issue is finding the guy who masks JJ's failings because Schultz needs to step his game up a level to be that guy.

(Also right now my job is less doing my job and more covering the arse of multiple people who can't do half their job and I get paid less than them so hey, JJ's in good company not that I'm salty about this at all)

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad