Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: Once upon a time in Kennywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We shouldn’t have that much money for free agency that could be a good thing or a bad thing
Moving bad fits and/or ineffective players is an important part of our post season. Probably won't be able to jettison guys like Bjugs and JJ by the time July 1st hits, but it could really help for mid-season trades next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We shouldn’t have that much money for free agency that could be a good thing or a bad thing

If we don’t re-sign our UFAs and trade Bjug or JJ, we should have funds for another winger ... I would like to see us trade for someone in the Tampa firesale...they’re going to have to give up Johnson, Killorn and maybe another player..I’d rather trust JR to make that trade than sign anyone in FA...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
3quxls.jpg

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This is very true but I also thought the same shortly before we signed Tanev. Trader Jim does some crazy things.

He certainly has that X factor usually for the best, usually LOL

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not even sure which direction to go when looking for a partner for Marino. Do you look for another mobile, smart, all-around guy like Marino himself and run with it as the shutdown pair? Do you look for a guy with significant offensive upside?

Either way, it's not gonna be cheap to find the right guy. Not even sure who we should be looking at.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not even sure which direction to go when looking for a partner for Marino. Do you look for another mobile, smart, all-around guy like Marino himself and run with it as the shutdown pair? Do you look for a guy with significant offensive upside?

Either way, it's not gonna be cheap to find the right guy. Not even sure who we should be looking at.

We won’t be looking at anyone...they signed and paid Petts just for this purpose....even if you don’t like it...

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think the organization believes they have found their fit for Marino as they just gave him a real healthy contract extension.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd rather have Marino and Petts run their own pairings, but Rutherford's thinking is obvious on this score.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dumo-Letang
LD-Marino
Petts-Riikola

Puts everyone where they belong and gives us the best chance to succeed. We need a LD, I don't care if JR thinks we don't. We definitely do. :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'd rather have Marino and Petts run their own pairings, but Rutherford's thinking is obvious on this score.

It’ll be up to Sully in the end though unless JR trades someone. Although I think JR and Sully talk and are on the same page more since the off season. Which is good because we might of been in danger of losing a great coach.

JR pretty good at correcting things that haven’t worked though

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
It’s impressive how unbelievably stupid Kris Letang is when you have a Jack Johnson on your team. The depth of stupidity is unreal with this roster ha

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So they trade a perfectly good young player for someone who sucks just to "get the band back together," then have a Nick Spaling thrown in because they need to up the optics for move where even they know they're losing the best asset by a long shot. And they bring in a 55 year old who, unlike Cullen and Guerin, has never won a damn thing and never will. First gear only for Patric. Second if he had a particularly good meal. And that's just the forwards. How's the D look?

The horrendous defense gets nothing and continues to fall apart. There are some big questions even with Dumo and Marino, and someone should have mentioned to JR that they'd be out another few weeks. But hey, these points don't matter, right?

Oh well, they just need to have a good draft, try to grab a D man in the 1st, retool, and maybe a guy like Addison can step in for Schultz AW f***.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So they trade a perfectly good young player for someone who sucks just to "get the band back together," then have a Nick Spaling thrown in because they need to up the optics for move where even they know they're losing the best asset by a long shot. And they bring in a 55 year old who, unlike Cullen and Guerin, has never won a damn thing and never will. First gear only for Patric. Second if he had a particularly good meal. And that's just the forwards. How's the D look?

The horrendous defense gets nothing and continues to fall apart. There are some big questions even with Dumo and Marino, and someone should have mentioned to JR that they'd be out another few weeks. But hey, these points don't matter, right?

Oh well, they just need to have a good draft, try to grab a D man in the 1st, retool, and maybe a guy like Addison can step in for Schultz AW f***.

What's sad is that I genuinely can't tell if this is satire. I can see this being a standard "we're all gonna die!!!!" reaction that this site has anytime the Penguins go on a skid, because this site is laughably bad at handling any sort of adversity, or I can see this being a post that mocks those people.

If this is a serious post, well that's just a f***ing yikes from me, man.

Reactions: Genetic

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dumo-Letang
LD-Marino
Petts-Riikola

Puts everyone where they belong and gives us the best chance to succeed. We need a LD, I don't care if JR thinks we don't. We definitely do. :laugh:

Whether you're looking at the raw numbers or the underlying ones, there's very little reason to have so little faith in Pettersson, especially considering the extenuating circumstances of having a lot of added responsibility and minutes on account of Dumo and Marino's injuries.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imagine seriously complaining that they traded a 1st and Addison this year when the guy they acquired has 5 goals in 9 games and has been amazing for the most part. Imagine seriously complaining that they traded a 3rd round pick for a rental 3rd liner who's fast as hell and fits the system. Imagine seriously complaining that they didn't "address the defense" when the problems with the defense are that they lost 2 top pair defensemen to injuries. The Kahun deal was the only one you can reasonably argue was "bad", but that's because Kahun is dummy overrated on this board and they brought back a retread as the main piece in that deal.

You'd think this team was the Leafs if you judged it off of some posters on this board.

Whether you're looking at the raw numbers or the underlying ones, there's very little reason to have so little faith in Pettersson, especially considering the extenuating circumstances of having a lot of added responsibility and minutes on account of Dumo and Marino's injuries.

The Pettersson bashing on here has been one of the more perplexing things this board has done recently. Sure, he hasn't been as good as he was last year, but he was really good last year. He's going to be the new Maatta going forward, where even if he gives solid results, people will complain about him because his game looks awkward.

I have no concerns about a Pettersson-Marino pair for the next 5+ years.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

TL;DR

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It’s especially weird after Pettersson just had a two great games lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad