Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: Once upon a time in Kennywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the larger issue here is not wearing your seatbelt when driving recklessly with a friend because your a 20 year old NHLer who thinks he is invincible. But, sure. Heatley and Voynov are cut from the same cloth.

So driving 50mph over the speed limit in a residential area after you've had a couple beer is no biggie?

Not much chance for something to go wrong in that scenario?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So driving 50mph over the speed limit in a residential area after you've had a couple beer is no biggie?

Not much chance for something to go wrong in that scenario?

Nobody knows how many beers Heatley had.

Nobody is saying it wasn’t a big deal. I’m saying comparing it to getting drunk and beating your wife to a pulp is a little bit of a different scenario.

Heatley’s situation is a car accident.

DeSmith, I’ve expressed multiple times I do not want on this team.

Voynov got in an argument then physically choked, punched, kicked and threw his wife into a TV causing her to pour blood all over her house.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
For reference this is the person Soggy wants to sign because he’s the “cheapest value” and good at hockey.

A statement included within that report states that, while attending a team Halloween party, the two began arguing, during which Voynov removed [Varlamova’s] costume glasses and stomped on them in front of the guests. When they continued arguing outside the venue, Voynov “punched her in the left jaw with a closed fist.”

Court documents detail how the fight continued when the two arrived home and the contents are equally grim. In one motion, filed on behalf of the District Attorney’s office, it states that Voynov “wrapped both of his hands around Ms. Varlamova’s neck and began to squeeze, making it difficult for her to breathe.” Voynov, according to the motion, “continued to choke her while repeatedly pushing her to the floor of the bedroom,” telling her to “get out,” that there would be “no more money for her,” and that she would be “gone.”

These clubs should also know that Varlamova’s seven-year-old daughter was reportedly at home at the time of the incident, and apparently, it did not end there.

According to the motion, Voynov then “kicked her five or six times all over her body” and when she attempted to stand he “pushed her down directly into the bottom corner of the flat screen television that was mounted to the bedroom wall.” Varlamova sustained “a head laceration that resulted in severe bleeding” and throughout all of this “she repeatedly screamed for him to stop.”
If the clubs were not previously aware, they should know that the screaming was apparently so loud that a neighbor called emergency dispatchers, fearful of what was taking place.

According to the 911 transcripts obtained by The Athletic, the concerned neighbor said she heard 20 minutes worth of screaming and said there were “terrible noises.”
It sounds like a woman is not being treated well,” the neighbor told the dispatcher.

In the middle of describing the location of the house to the dispatcher, the neighbor stops to say: “Oh my God. She’s really screaming.

Any club considering trading for or signing Voynov should also consider that Varlamova, once she arrived at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center hospital for treatment, required eight sutures to close the 3 cm laceration on her left eyebrow. She then reportedly told those attending to her injuries that this was not an isolated incident.

Statements from a registered nurse and a police officer revealed that Varlamova said this sort of incident had happened before. Less than 10 minutes after Varlamova arrived at the hospital, she was taken to triage, where she told a registered nurse that this was “not the first time this had happened,” according to witness testimony, which was admitted into the court record. That nurse immediately noted “abuse indicators” and that “the victim did not feel she was treated well by her spouse, that she had been threatened or abused, physically, emotionally or sexually by her spouse, and that she felt unsafe to going back to the place where she lives.”

Those documents also note that when a police officer arrived to speak with her, Varlamova told him that her husband “was very aggressive and had done this in the past”

When asked what led to the argument with her husband, Varlamova responded:
He’s very aggressive every time. He gets tired. He gets aggressive every time.
And it’s not first time.

According to the transcript of the police interview, the exchange ended with Varlamova telling the officer:

Please help me [crying]. Please at first and after this, I speak about all of this. Please help me, please.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
lol. Ok. He was driving well below the legal alcohol limit. Snyder was not wearing a seatbelt. Should JuJu be crucified for what he did earlier this year?

I’m glad you’ve never driven after a beer. Some of us have. I’m sure you’ve never sped in your car or gotten in a car accident either. Congratulations.
I've never done it, but then again I seldom drink alcohol. That said you're right, the vast majority of people which do drive have likely done it. That doesn't make it right however. If people want to be reckless, don't put others in peril in the process. Get lit up all you want, just have someone sober drive, or stay at home and drink until you're good and drunk.

I don't have a right to play with anyone's life beyond my own, and neither should you (anybody). I'm pretty self indulgent and egocentric. And according to some annoyingly so. And if I can show a modicum of self control or common sense here and exhibit respect for my fellow man, anyone can. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've never done it, but then again I seldom drink alcohol. That said you're right, the vast majority of people which do drive have likely done it. That doesn't make it right however. If people want to be reckless, don't put others in peril in the process. Get lit up all you want, just have someone sober drive, or stay at home and drink until your good and drunk.

I don't have a right to play with anyone's life beyond my own, and neither should you (anybody). I'm pretty self indulgent and egocentric. And according to some annoyingly so. And if I can show a modicum of self control or common sense here and exhibit respect for my fellow man, anyone can. lol

Is someone disagreeing with this? Heatley was legally sober enough to drive. He was speeding because he was a full of himself athlete. We literally just saw one of the Steelers do the same shit a couple of months ago.

And it’s not like Heatley t-boned a sober Snyder. He got in a car with Heats and didn’t wear a seatbelt.

It seems the three of you are trying to paint the Heatley story into some vindictive action when it was simply a tragic accident. Was Voynov’s incident a tragic accident as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Is someone disagreeing with this? Heatley was legally sober enough to drive. He was speeding because he was a full of himself athlete. We literally just saw one of the Steelers do the same shit a couple of months ago.

And it’s not like Heatley t-boned a sober Snyder. He got in a car with Heats and didn’t wear a seatbelt.

It seems the three of you are trying to paint the Heatley story into some vindictive action when it was simply a tragic accident. Was Voynov’s incident a tragic accident as well?
To be clear I'm against ALL such scenarios irregardless of the sport or team. As I stated the other day, I wouldn't be pursuing Voynov in any way shape or form. It's not worth the hassle.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nobody knows how many beers Heatley had.

Blood Alcohol Calculator | Alcohol Help Center

There's no scenario where Heatley's blood alcohol was 0.015 without drinking more than one. At 220 lbs, if he had one drink just half an hour before the test, his blood alcohol would've been 0.011.

Nobody is saying it wasn’t a big deal. I’m saying comparing it to getting drunk and beating your wife to a pulp is a little bit of a different scenario.

Nobody's denying it's different. The question's whether it's better.

DeSmith, I’ve expressed multiple times I do not want on this team.

Why, I'm not sure.

DeSmith has been a model citizen ever since by all indications.

For reference this is the person Soggy wants to sign because he’s the “cheapest value” and good at hockey.

A statement included within that report states that, while attending a team Halloween party, the two began arguing, during which Voynov removed [Varlamova’s] costume glasses and stomped on them in front of the guests. When they continued arguing outside the venue, Voynov “punched her in the left jaw with a closed fist.”

Court documents detail how the fight continued when the two arrived home and the contents are equally grim. In one motion, filed on behalf of the District Attorney’s office, it states that Voynov “wrapped both of his hands around Ms. Varlamova’s neck and began to squeeze, making it difficult for her to breathe.” Voynov, according to the motion, “continued to choke her while repeatedly pushing her to the floor of the bedroom,” telling her to “get out,” that there would be “no more money for her,” and that she would be “gone.”

These clubs should also know that Varlamova’s seven-year-old daughter was reportedly at home at the time of the incident, and apparently, it did not end there.

According to the motion, Voynov then “kicked her five or six times all over her body” and when she attempted to stand he “pushed her down directly into the bottom corner of the flat screen television that was mounted to the bedroom wall.” Varlamova sustained “a head laceration that resulted in severe bleeding” and throughout all of this “she repeatedly screamed for him to stop.”
If the clubs were not previously aware, they should know that the screaming was apparently so loud that a neighbor called emergency dispatchers, fearful of what was taking place.

According to the 911 transcripts obtained by The Athletic, the concerned neighbor said she heard 20 minutes worth of screaming and said there were “terrible noises.”
It sounds like a woman is not being treated well,” the neighbor told the dispatcher.

In the middle of describing the location of the house to the dispatcher, the neighbor stops to say: “Oh my God. She’s really screaming.

Any club considering trading for or signing Voynov should also consider that Varlamova, once she arrived at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center hospital for treatment, required eight sutures to close the 3 cm laceration on her left eyebrow. She then reportedly told those attending to her injuries that this was not an isolated incident.

Statements from a registered nurse and a police officer revealed that Varlamova said this sort of incident had happened before. Less than 10 minutes after Varlamova arrived at the hospital, she was taken to triage, where she told a registered nurse that this was “not the first time this had happened,” according to witness testimony, which was admitted into the court record. That nurse immediately noted “abuse indicators” and that “the victim did not feel she was treated well by her spouse, that she had been threatened or abused, physically, emotionally or sexually by her spouse, and that she felt unsafe to going back to the place where she lives.”

Those documents also note that when a police officer arrived to speak with her, Varlamova told him that her husband “was very aggressive and had done this in the past”

When asked what led to the argument with her husband, Varlamova responded:
He’s very aggressive every time. He gets tired. He gets aggressive every time.
And it’s not first time.

According to the transcript of the police interview, the exchange ended with Varlamova telling the officer:

Please help me [crying]. Please at first and after this, I speak about all of this. Please help me, please.

Yes, those are the details. Seeing them doesn't change that it was 5 years ago, that his wife is still very much with him, and we don't know how they've been since.

It was willful and reckless neglect that ended in a death. This guy wasn't a couple mphs over the limit, he was going 82 in a 35 in a residential area. That's not like going 20 over on a stretch of barren highway.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Both are POS and I wouldn't want either on my team. The privilege of being a pro athlete with tons of money and access to top lawyers saved Heatley's behind. Average Joe from the neighborhood isn't walking away from a fatal accident like his with only 3 years of probation.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Heatley likely drove like an idiot to purposely kill someone.

It's reasonable to assume driving crazy could result in death. But they weren't taking that into account that night.

He didn't reason with himself that killing someone would be okay.

People who beat on others do so on purpose. To intimidate. To demean. To elevate themselves. They have reasoned with themselves that it's okay that someone gets hurt.

It's far more dark and indicative of YEARS of being a POS human. Much harder to turn that switch off than just stopping reckless driving.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's more encouraging than the alternative, at least.

I think it honestly has little to do with anything. Plenty of men and women stay in horrible relationships for their own reasons.

We know what Voynov has done. Once again, how do you defend that signing to the female fanbase?

I’ll give you a hint. You can’t and there is no chance in hell Sid is letting the org sign him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think it honestly has little to do with anything. Plenty of men and women stay in horrible relationships for their own reasons.

We know what Voynov has done. Once again, how do you defend that signing to the female fanbase?

I’ll give you a hint. You can’t and there is no chance in hell Sid is letting the org sign him.

By doing homework to see if he's changed, by making community efforts, and by addressing the issue up front. Because people are not irredeemable.

But like Butternubs said, I'm just gonna move on. At least until FA period when I'll start it all again.

See you then!

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
lol. Ok. He was driving well below the legal alcohol limit. Snyder was not wearing a seatbelt. Should JuJu be crucified for what he did earlier this year?

I’m glad you’ve never driven after a beer. Some of us have. I’m sure you’ve never sped in your car or gotten in a car accident either. Congratulations.

Wow, your deflection and rationalization on this topic is astounding.
Do you want to keep moving the goalposts OR keep pumping Heatley's tires on his moronic decision? Either is fine with me

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Heatley was reckless, the alcohol wasnt even a factor in this. He drove like an asshole and someone died. He is stupid and it had major consequences.

Voynov is a piece of shit. Full stop.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
tib.jpg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Yep. Piece of shit as well.
"Rape victims, especially teen-agers who are just learning about themselves, feel a lot of shame and guilt," said Kathi Elliott from the Center for Victims of Violent Crimes. They may also feel re-victimized by their attacker's success, she added, because it seems as if there's no real justice.

"I did my time," Tibbetts said. "And I'm not the only person in the world on parole. I just happen to be the only one ... in the NHL."

Pensin7

Jun 20, 2009
Not really sure how that equates to playing a professional sport. The last thing we need to do is promote the fact monsters like Voynov deserve a second chance to make millions. He can be redeemed as a person, but his privilege of playing hockey at the NHL level is likely and should be gone.

Allowing Voynov to play is as bad as celebrating Bobby Hull as some type of ambassador.

Voynov literally joked about this shit at the Olympics.

This! The leniency shown to athletes who are violent criminals is outrageous! These criminals should be given every opportunity to redeem themselves and become a law abiding citizen again (after paying for their actions), but there is no place for them anymore in professional sports. There is not a single reason the Pens should ever consider placing an individual like Voynov on the payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad