Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: Once upon a time in Kennywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Stan, Guy.... Long time lurker, first time poster.

Nagging question --

With the 1-way contract additions at the deadline, what happens when the team gets healthy enough (I know, seems like a pipe-dream) such that there are too many players at the NHL level? Who is waiver exempt other than, I think, Marino?

Is this even an issue?

It is a potential issue. With Lafferty up in an emergency role, the Pens have 23 on their active roster. Assuming Lafferty goes back, that makes 22. Trotman will also likely go back to make that 21. Dumoulin and Marino coming back brings that to 23 on the roster. If Bjugstad ever comes back from IR someone will have to go to IR or to WBS.

If i'm understanding the question correctly; After the trade deadline, teams are allowed to have an unlimited roster count as long as that roster is cap compliant. Before the deadline there is a max of 23 players on the NHL roster.

LumberJag

Feb 27, 2020
If i'm understanding the question correctly; After the trade deadline, teams are allowed to have an unlimited roster count as long as that roster is cap compliant. Before the deadline there is a max of 23 players on the NHL roster.

Wasn't aware of that -- I was thinking the "Black Aces" were only available for playoffs.

Solves the issue if accurate.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Wasn't aware of that -- I was thinking the "Black Aces" were only available for playoffs.

Solves the issue if accurate.
16.4 Active Roster Size; Playing Roster.
(a) There shall be a maximum of twenty-three (23) Players on each Club's Active
Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a
Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so
determines, subject to Article 50.

Article 50 of the CBA deals with team payroll and revenue sharing. Basically boils down to if they are willing to pay the costs, they can have as many players as the want up.

LumberJag

Feb 27, 2020
Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a
Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so

Article 50 of the CBA deals with team payroll and revenue sharing. Basically boils down to if they are willing to pay the costs, they can have as many players as the want up.

You the real MVP.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Did not know that, good catch!

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Seems to be the most likely scenario.

Still though, at impending full health (Dumo/Marino/Bjug, sans Jake of course), who goes down out of ZAR/Riikola/Ruhwedel/ERod (assuming Simon is out of the question). Is Riikola still waiver exempt?

Maybe they know Bjugstad isn't coming back. Hm.

Lafferty is the only one waiver exempt out of the guys that would be sent down. Trotman is probably fine too if he hasn’t been up for 30 days since he last went down.

If completely healthy a forward or D man goes down. I think any other forward would get claimed. So probably be Riikola or Ruhwedel and I think they’d get through.

Although that cuts our D depth if one potentially gets claimed.

I don’t think we won’t have at least one injury though.

EDIT: Forget everything I just said :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If that's your litmus test to "ignore" people, I think you'll find this a pretty barren place after a short time.

giphy.gif

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
EDIT: Forget everything I just said :laugh:

My spreadsheet shows that the Pens can have Lafferty and Trotman up for the rest of the season and have about $900k left in cap space. [CapFriendly shows about $800k left.] I do think they should still go to WBS though for the savings in case/when another rash of injuries occur and they need to bring up a bunch of WBS folk.

Reactions: Khelandros

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

False. Pre TD the roster is capped at 23 players. Post TD it goes to 24 players.

Edit. Seems I'm mistaken here, and that there is no limit. Now need to go find where I read that it only went to 24.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My spreadsheet shows that the Pens can have Lafferty and Trotman up for the rest of the season and have about $900k left in cap space. [CapFriendly shows about $800k left.] I do think they should still go to WBS though for the savings in case/when another rash of injuries occur and they need to bring up a bunch of WBS folk.

We still don't have Jake on LTIR though, right? So in theory we could just send him to the LTIR and then call up who we need, if we need to call someone up.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
False. Pre TD the roster is capped at 23 players. Post TD it goes to 24 players.

Edit. Seems I'm mistaken here, and that there is no limit. Now need to go find where I read that it only went to 24.

I remember thinking that too, but I might be a CBA or two behind. :dunno:

Reactions: Riptide

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

"time, provided, however, that, on"

Jeez! :laugh:

Reactions: BillPrep

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I really hope in the offseason JR goes and gets a guy for 3 RD that can help move the puck up the ice and wont get caught. Obviously we wont be moving Petts and he's apparently a top 4 D for us moving forward (scarey) so Riikola and find someone that helps the team vs doesn't help. Maybe Sabres can retain 50% on Miller? 2 years left after this season. Riikola-Miller. Sabres also have a shit ton of cap space in the summer. Miller can also move into a top 4 spot when injuries hit Marino/Letang.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

"time, provided, however, that, on"

Jeez! :laugh:

It says "on the date" not from there on out. I'd have to read article 50 to see what that part means.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
It says "on the date" not from there on out. I'd have to read article 50 to see what that part means.
From the trade deadline to the end of the regular season, teams can have as many players on their roster as they can fit under the cap, but they can only call up 4 players from their AHL squad during that time. In the Pens case, the injured players don't count as call ups so they are just added to the active roster. Once the Playoffs start, they can add more players if they choose due to there being no cap during the Playoffs.

The reason teams don't usually do this is because they are responsible for all expenses tied to these players. Travel, hotel, meals, per diem, etc.. But if they don't believe a player can pass through waivers, the option is there for them to hang around but not play.

Emergency recalls don't count towards the 4 AHL player recall list.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I think this close to the end of the season, if they would need to recall someone it would be easier to place the injured player on IR and call someone up.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

900k in total monies or a 900k cap hit. If it’s total we are more than fine as daily cap hits for AHL players will be really low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad