Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Some Like it Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here’s my spreadsheet for upcoming UFAs, each team’s cap situation, and a trade tracker. I update the spreadsheet daily. I use CapFriendly to create this list and AFP Analytics for the contract projections.

Edit: Spreadsheet has been updated with AFP's latest projections and I added a new section for RFAs.

Top-6 Forwards
Sam ReinhartRW288y/10.25m
Jake GuentzelW296y/7.94m
Steven StamkosLW/C343y/6.30m
Jonathan MarchessaultW333y/6.25m
Joe PavelskiRW391y/3.94m
Matt DucheneRW/C333y/6.46m
Sean MonahanFW293y/2.87m
Tyler ToffoliW325y/6.53m
Jonathan DrouinW294y/4.46m
Teuvo TeravainenW295y/6.13m
Vladimir TarasenkoRW323y/5.64m
Adam HenriqueLW/C342y/4.60m
Chandler StephensonC/LW305y/5.77m
Max DomiC/RW293y/4.17m
Patrick KaneRW352y/5.51m
Elias LindholmC/RW297y/8.04m
Anthony ManthaW293y/4.40m
Daniel SprongW273y/3.89m
Jake DeBruskW275y/5.92m
David PerronW362y/2.80m
Tyler BertuzziW295y/6.00m
Anthony DuclairW283y/3.22m
Jason ZuckerW323y/5.46m
Jack RoslovicC/RW273y/3.11m
Max PaciorettyLW35
Alexander BarabanovW303y/3.03m

Top-4 Defecemen
Shayne GostisbehereLD/RD313y/4.38m
Brady SkjeiLD306y/7.39m
Noah HanifinLD277y/7.69m
Brandon MontourRD307y/8.71m
Oliver Ekman-LarssonLD323y/3.67m
Dylan DeMeloRD314y/5.07m
Sean WalkerLD/RD294y/4.87m
Matt RoyRD294y/5.58m
TJ BrodieLD/RD343y/4.91m
Brenden DillonLD332y/3.91m
Alexandre CarrierRD273y/3.57m
Nikita ZadorovLD/RD294y/5.10m
Chris TanevRD343y/4.68m
Brett PesceRD296y/6.72m
Matt GrzelcykLD303y/4.07m
Oliver KylingtonLD/RD27

Bottom-6 Forwards
James van RiemsdykW351y/1.50m
Warren FoegeleW284y/3.58m
Stefan NoesenW312y/3.23m
Danton HeinenW28
Tyler JohnsonFW33
Alexander WennbergC294y/4.21m
Jordan MartinookW312y/2.79m
Dakota JoshuaLW283y/3.00m
Michael AmadioW28
Teddy BluegerC/LW292y/2.56m
Sam LaffertyFW292y/1.72m
Kiefer SherwoodW29
Mike HoffmanLW341y/1.86m
Tomas TatarW331y/2.21m
Kyle OkposoRW361y/1.96m
Kasperi KapanenRW27
Andrew CoglianoLW37
Jakob SilfverbergW332y/2.78m
Cal ClutterbuckRW36
Corey PerryRW39
Patrick MaroonW36
Yakov TreninLW/C273y/3.33m
Dominik KubalikW282y/1.34m
Anthony BeauvillierW27
Sam CarrickC/RW32
Tanner PearsonLW31
Zemgus GirgensonsLW/C302y/1.74m
Colin BlackwellC/RW31
Brandon DuhaimeW27
Nick CousinsLW/C30
Connor BrownW30
Joel KivirantaW28
William CarrierLW293y/2.68m
Tyler MotteW293y/2.55m
Samuel BlaisW281y/0.94m
Tyson JostC26

Bottom-Pairing Defencemen
Erik GustafssonLD323y/4.99m
Tyler MyersRD342y/2.67m
Justin SchultzRD332y/3.81m
Kevin ShattenkirkRD351y/1.37m
Jalen ChatfieldRD283y/2.77m
Mike ReillyLD301y/1.24m
Dmitry KulikovLD/RD33
Alec MartinezLD361y/1.7m
Tyson BarrieRD322y/3.72m
Jani HakanpaaRD322y/2.38m
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Ian ColeLD/RD352y/3.09m
Matt DumbaRD293y/3.73m
Colin MillerRD31
Mark GiordanoLD401y/3.11m
Marco ScandellaLD34
Calvin De HaanLD/RD33
Josh BrownRD30
Ilya LyubushkinRD301y/1.31m
Joel EdmundsonLD/RD31
Troy StecherRD30
Derek ForbortLD32
Erik JohnsonRD361y/1.13m

Forward Depth
Christian FischerW27
Craig SmithRW34
Victor OlofssonW28
Trevor LewisRW/C37
Justin BaileyRW29
Kevin StenlundC/RW27
Jeff CarterRW/C39
Ryan CarpenterRW/C33
Nicolas Aube-KubelRW282y/1.53m
AJ GreerW27
Liam O'BrienW29
Chris TierneyC30
Mattias JanmarkW31
Sam GagnerRW/C34
Brendan SmithLD/RD35
Eric RobinsonLW29
Zach PariseLW39
Kevin LabancW282y/1.94m
Fredrik OlofssonC/LW28
Alex Barre-BouletW27
Matt MartinW35
Radim ZohornaW28
Pierre-Edouard BellemareC/LW39
Tyler PitlickRW32
Austin WatsonW32
Tomas NosekLW/C31
Jansen HarkinsLW27
Rourke ChartierC28
Steven LorentzFW28

Defensive Depth
Jack JohnsonLD37
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Anthony DeangeloRD282y/1.80m
Jarred TinordiLD32
Sebastian AhoLD28
Dakota MermisLD/RD30
Jacob MacDonaldLD/RD31
Dennis GilbertLD27
Nikita ZaitsevRD32
Nick DeSimoneRD29
Travis DermottLD/RD27
Caleb JonesLD/RD27
Chad RuhwedelRD34
William LagesonLD/RD28

Goaltenders
Cam TalbotG361y/1.89m
Ilya SamsonovG272y/3.26m
Alex NedeljkovicG282y/2.00m
Kaapo KahkonenG272y/2.93m
Scott WedgewoodG312y/1.57m
Casey DeSmithG321y/2.02m
Anthony StolarzG302y/1.91m
James ReimarG36
Antti RaantaG351y/1.31m
David RittichG31
Kevin LankinenG291y/1.58m
Laurent BrossoitG312y/1.95m
Calvin PickardG32
Martin JonesG34

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
every time i play around with this, there's no way they can bring back both of lindholm and hronek.

there's also no way they can bring back joshua and afford a true top six winger

and that's assuming they dump mikheyev

Would be interesting to see how management prioritizes Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua and Hronek. My guess is

Lindholm, Hronek, Zadorov, Joshua, Myers in that order

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If we are trading hronek I'd target buchnevik or Crouse as the main forward coming back. Or maybe Keller if they'd be open to moving him. Sign tanev and another puck moving dman (Carolina guys maybe?)
I have been wondering if trading him to Utah for a first and Crouse. I look at what we paid for OEL and Garland and For him as a guide. As good as Garland was this season and in the playoffs, I sell high on him. We need more depth on the top two lines and I would like to keep Lindholm and Zads as well.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Would be interesting to see how management prioritizes Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua and Hronek. My guess is

Lindholm, Hronek, Zadorov, Joshua, Myers in that order
i think there’s zero chance they bring back zadorov. 5.5 or whatever with significant term for a guy used as a #5 when you have your left side signed above him… would be a decision for sure

unless there’s some surprise soucy trade, which i don’t think makes any sense given the significant cost gap bw him & theoretical zad extension

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I feel fairly certain that the best way to predict the Canucks targets and signings this off-season is to look for the type of players they went after re-analize how we judged those signings when they happened.

Suter/Blueger - both players were considered decent 4th line depth centers with a maybe towards playing anywhere up the lineup.

Joshua - suspect 4th line depth at training camp that got called out and sat for a game or two?

Garland - not going to fit in...needed to be traded?

There are a few other examples but basically this Canucks mgmt saw a lot of potential in players that came through this year. There will be MANY others that see their opportunity to have success with our brand.

The players we should be looking for are the Blueger/Suter etc types that think they can elevate their games

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
But he's so cap efficient and has lots of room to grow. I dunno, I think we have to keep him and hope he can take additional steps forward in his growth as a player.
This is exactly why his value would be high. I like him but he has hands of stone and tunnel vision, he’s a great 3rd liner…not someone you want to play full time with petey. I like the guy too but he’s one of the moveable pieces with value imo.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I feel fairly certain that the best way to predict the Canucks targets and signings this off-season is to look for the type of players they went after re-analize how we judged those signings when they happened.

Suter/Blueger - both players were considered decent 4th line depth centers with a maybe towards playing anywhere up the lineup.

Joshua - suspect 4th line depth at training camp that got called out and sat for a game or two?

Garland - not going to fit in...needed to be traded?

There are a few other examples but basically this Canucks mgmt saw a lot of potential in players that came through this year. There will be MANY others that see their opportunity to have success with our brand.

The players we should be looking for are the Blueger/Suter etc types that think they can elevate their games

Guys I would look to add in the bottom 6 are Heinen (local boy), Trenin, Blais and hell even bringing back Tyler Motte.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I've seen everybody already anointing Silovs as the backup next season and letting DeSmith walk, but is there any concern about Silovs' development being hurt as a full time backup next year? Playing 20-30 games behind Demko and only getting in a start every week and a half or so. Would bringing back DeSmith on a 1 year deal while Silovs develops as the unquestioned #1 in Abbotsford be more beneficial to his development? I loved what he brought during the playoffs but it may not be the right call to fasttrack him next year and to instead focus on him continuing to refine his game like they let Schneider and Demko do before.

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
I've seen everybody already anointing Silovs as the backup next season and letting DeSmith walk, but is there any concern about Silovs' development being hurt as a full time backup next year? Playing 20-30 games behind Demko and only getting in a start every week and a half or so. Would bringing back DeSmith on a 1 year deal while Silovs develops as the unquestioned #1 in Abbotsford be more beneficial to his development? I loved what he brought during the playoffs but it may not be the right call to fasttrack him next year and to instead focus on him continuing to refine his game like they let Schneider and Demko do before.
I wonder if they try to load manage Demko next season by only playing him 40-50 games so he doesn't break again. This would give Silovs opportunity to grow and gain experience.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
If we can fit Lindholm and Garland that is the best bet. Stick with Hog in the lineup as well he’s cheap and learned from these playoffs.

One of the main issues we keep hearing is Petey doesn’t have wingers to work with. Garland could solve that issue.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Drance went on a small tangent today about how Silovs being ineligible for waivers is a competitive advantage and that they should, at the very minimum, strongly consider signing a strong backup.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
let everyone walk if their asking price is too high. number 1 priority is to find petterson 2 wingers. if mgnt wants to go big fish hunting and go the aggressive route thats the way to do it. keep in mind of oels buyout caphit for the next 6years. team will be alot different next year. need more finishers in the top 6. can find cheaper rhd to replace hronek myers.

Reactions: Chiripa20

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
This management group doesn’t seem to be doing the benning sign bottom 6 or bottom 2 d to term deals so I think Joshua is gone if he demands more than 3

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I obviously hope we can somehow bring Lindholm, Z and Joshua back, but if we do, that pretty much mean another season of crappy wingers for Petey, and Suter as 1LW. Do we really want to see that again?

No, I don't. You should learn from your weaknesses and try to get better. If we're going to do that we'd be better off pivoting this year and grabbing some important building blocks along the way.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
God damn, you guys made me realized how f***ed we are. No cap space and no second or 3rd. Hopefully Lek or Willander is ready lol

Reactions: BimJenning

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
For truth, nobody knows what Rutherford/Allvin will do.

They could do anything and most might look bad to fans but be good for the team. A team with some pretty decent players but with cap issues. This often happens when teams go deep into the playoffs but unfortunately Benning's fake playoffs were spending and giving out contracts like this was a team that went deep but didn't get a sniff. That still leaves Rutherford/Allvin with some tough choices, cap related.

To get quality, quality has to be offered or the future sold for bags of beans.

Rutherford/Allvin have done well so far in trading away first round picks, they got Hronek and Lindholm. They made this a "win now" team.

The cap rules. But the team also needs to get bigger and younger.

In building a good team usually it is done from the back out, I am sure most fans realize this after years of Sedins still getting points, Hughes and Pettersson with star level point totals but the refrain was constantly the team needed to improve the defence. They did just that.

According to CF the team will have around 24 mil and currently another 2.5 in LTIR from Poolman to use. But there might very well be another 6.675 mil from Boeser. these blood clot issues can take 6 months to work out. That is long enough that the team might be able to tap his amount for awhile or get through the summer with signing most of those they would like to keep.

I get the impression that Rutherford/Allvin will do what they think is best for team improvement regardless of fan popularity. They traded Horvat and after a news cycle in the next season he is hardly even mentioned anymore. They traded away two first round picks and it is only now anyone really cared because they worked. They even traded away Kuzmenko whom fans really liked but they got over that even though they are now looking for another player like him.

That Lindholm trade has me wondering if they know something about Pettersson's health so he is a ready replacement if they re-sign him. Like were they looking forward to where Lindholm is the #2 center next year?

If Boeser is put on LTIR that will solve most of the immediate cap issues for signing anyone they want.

BUT I hope they are aggressive and go after some blockbuster deals that add more younger larger players. With the cap going up 5 mil EP's 11.5 mil isn't that hard to move based on his past reputation. EP would not be the first player whose point totals dropped under Tocchet. Most recovered after a change of situation. Meaning he still has almost FP value. It was pointed out many times that EP's last 44 games were horrible, that's a lot of games.

I have my pet players I would like to see in a Canuck uni, Crouse, Voronkov and Marchenko. Total cost, less than Boeser and all young and over 6'2" and fast. EP's 100 points from Voronkov and Marchenko combined getting 125 pts playing with Lindholm, Crouse getting 65 - 85pts playing with Miller, then Blueger, Garland and Joshua. With a 4th line of prospects getting around 10 min a game. Then much later maybe Boeser comes back in December, 6 months to get well and another 8 weeks of working out to get into shape because I understand there are no works outs during treatment.

Oh and don't get too worried about RHD, Florida has one, Dallas has two, Edmonton plays two, it is convenient but not vital. Besides Willander is a RHD AAA prospect.
If a Hronek trade gets Crouse and Kesserling, BOOM. even if they have to add in another player like Hoglander.

AHH, the fun days of imaginations waiting for the draft and what this team will do. That last few years have been all about criticizing the incredibly stupid and short sighted operation of this franchise.

IMO again my desire, give Zadorov Myers contract and Myers Zadorov's contract, let Cole go, there will be another veteran dman to sign like Schenn was, promote Juulsen and whomever the do get in a trade, my named guy, Kesserling and save 2 mil on paying the defence. They get bigger and cheaper.

Maybe Foote is to defence coaching what Ian Clarke is to goalie coaching. But now that would be a massive amount of human flesh to try to move forward and defence. Maybe even the biggest team in the NHL. Then they only have to be better than 4 teams in the division to make the show, much easier.

And quite probably have a few million in cap space without using Boeser's cap hit for TDL polishing. With the dismal performance of the PP I wonder if Kessel would have helped?

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I'd say that's what they did this year already.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The backup goalie situation depends entirely on cap space. The idea is that we are so tight against the cap, and have a young goalie that has already shown well in NHL action, that is one area we can "cheap out" on. Silvos is going to cost around $1m, where as DeSmith has a cap hit of $1.8m this past season. Assuming we extend DeSmith, or sign a respectable backup, that is likely going to cost at least $2m. Going with Silvos saves about $1m. We are so tight to the cap that even $1m makes a big difference.

Also, Silvos is 23 years old, he isn't THAT young. He played 88 AHL games over parts of 3 seasons. Demko became an NHL backup at age 24 and had that 4 games experience in the playoff that season, so Silvos isn't that much younger. I think, like mentioned above, Demko should only play like 45-50 games next season, which gives Silvos 32-37 games and lots of practice time against NHL players, that should also be a beneficial development path for him.

As long as we sign a vet goalie that we can stash in the AHL, in case Silvos completely crap the bed in camp next season. We shouldn't spend much on backup goaltending when we have a top 5 goalie in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovofan

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Joshua and Zadorov are must signs for me.
Signing and finding a power play and penalty killing coach is a priority.Our special teams could have made a difference in this series,but was shit.

Reactions: DFAC

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the canucks should give silovs an opportunity to be the backup AND sign another backup goalie just in case he can't cut it. get like a laurent broissoit or chris driedger and sign them to something you can bury if silovs sticks

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad