Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Pens have basically nothing in the system for RH D men. A couple prospects but no one ready to impact the position. I don't believe Schultz will be back as he may want more term and AAV then GMJR can handle. But there are a number of RH FA D men I like so Pens can get their guy for the window period. In a couple of years, Poulin, possibly Legare will be pushing for top 9 slots and cheap contracts will be needed. Add in Hallander and if he can play center, all the better.

We don't need a prospect to be an impact RD. We have one of the best in the league in Letang and a great young prospect in Marino who is already proven to be a top 4 defenseman as a 22 year old rookie.
The reason I cared less about Addison was we have Letang and Marino as our top 2 RD's for the rest of this Cup Window time. I don't think we should spend much on a 3 RD UFA defenseman this summer. Heck the way Rutherford literally finds great young defenseman I wouldn't be surprised if we get the next Marino/ Pettersson type this summer in a trade. Any good college UFA's this summer?

Reactions: Giskard

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Poulin and Legare are both, players I do not want to see this team trade.

I honestly don't care if this team loses Hallander or POJ, but these two? No. It's like we have 2 very good prospects, one a LW and the other a RW that could help this team as it ages and needs an infusion of youth and JR can't be selling them ALL off for other players.

Rutherford has definitely not been selling off the youth and in fact has added a ton of youth over his tenure. Players last year like Pettersson and McCann who both had been 22 last year. Marino was another 22 year old added this summer. That is like adding three 1st round picks and instantaneously developing them for the NHL. Who needs to draft and develop prospects when you add players like that each year. Even Kahun at 24 years old was like adding and developing a 1st round pick. You would be extremely lucky if you had 4 late 1st round picks develop into 4 players as good as that. Considering half of late 1st round picks don't even have NHL careers it would take 8 years worth of 1st round picks to average what Rutherford added just in the past year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but it sure as hell isn't a reply to anything I said or think. I actually like JR and what he's done with adding prospects like Marino and POJ and even Riikola even though the coach is too stupid to use him often enough until there's an injury that forces him to.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
JR should really inquire about Joshua Maniscalco from Arizona State. Not only is he a RHD, but he's also been the complete package for ASU, both offensively and defensively. JR should grab him before anyone else does. He's going to be a good one.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
JR should really inquire about Joshua Maniscalco from Arizona State. Not only is he a RHD, but he's also been the complete package for ASU, both offensively and defensively. JR should grab him before anyone else does. He's going to be a good one.

Looks like a solid idea to me. I love that we got Zucker, but I really hope JR has a plan to address the lack of defensemen in out prospect pool. POJ is the only defenseman really worth a damn at this point.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Like the ASU RD as well. I do think a third pairing D man can be found in the FA market. I mentioned Montour who may be a tough fit under the cap and I really like Pysyk who is a physical D man who fits the need for some grit on the back end. Need to continue the adding of RH young D men in the farm system and correct the need is not as acute with Letang and Marino.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I like the thought of Reilly...does he have a good chance of being a NHL player and are there rumblings the team really likes him and/or he’ll sign here?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Reilly was a pick by Sexton regime but was seen as a good PMD. He has nice size and may be developing into a decent D man down the road.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Caught myself checking Lethbridge boxscores still

tenor.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like the thought of Reilly...does he have a good chance of being a NHL player and are there rumblings the team really likes him and/or he’ll sign here?

Dunno about his chance level but I can't see why he wouldn't sign here. There mightn't be a single org in the NHL with less obstacles to an NHL place for a RD next season than us.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

He looks like a Penguin to me...

24_maniscaloco,_josh.jpg

So count me in.
From Perkiomenville, PA as well.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
He looks like a Penguin to me...

24_maniscaloco,_josh.jpg

So count me in.
From Perkiomenville, PA as well.

His stats looks good but hes only a sophmore. Guys dont usually sign that early do they? Usually they wait till after their junior or senior years.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
As far as NCAA UDFA, I personally think there’s some good ones out there.

Two were at our camp. Biro from PSU and Roman Ahcan from Wisco. I think Mitchell Chaffee is probably the big forward UDFA. And then the most under the radar guy for me (and one who may have most upside imo) is Jackson Pierson out of UNH.

I don’t think Ahcan or Pierson leave yet however.

There’s other guys like Josh Dunne (Clarkson) or Max Johnson (Bowling Green) that I know are going to get contracts from teams but I haven’t seen them. Johnson is known as a speedster. Printz (Providence) will get a deal if he wants to leave I’d think.

Can’t speak for Maniscalo but program guys aren’t bad bets. Poolman is top shutdown D on top team (ND— Pens have def seen a lot of him). Ahcan’s brother Jack is a senior D at St Cloud. Can skate and score, but very small.

I know Connor Mackey is considered the big prize on defense and probably overall but I’ve barely seen him play.

I don’t think it’s a high upside group (I never do) and most will fail but I think the forwards I named all are kind of the Pens “type”.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They usually don’t. Adam Johnson did but he was also 23 and a forward. Maniscalco is almost 21 and a D so who knows.
Megna and Letestu left college as freshman but they were also 21ish year olds... if they had waited their window between prospect and journeyman would’ve inched closed.

Really seems to depend on a lot of factors as far as whether they leave early or not but it seems like the middle of the pack types tend to wait until at least after their junior years, I assume because they can finish their degrees in the summer or online at that point.

Signing bonus + AHL salary is probably a lot higher than the jobs they’d get in the real world with their degrees anyway. And even though hockey careers don’t tend to last long you can probably easily transition into lower level coaching, skill development or even broadcasting careers afterwards especially if you get some NHL time. If they come from families that are even just somewhat well-off that can’t hurt either. And if they wanna go back to the field they studied for I’m sure lots of places would ignore 10 years of no relevant work experience to hire a former pro athlete.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Signing bonus + AHL salary is probably a lot higher than the jobs they’d get in the real world with their degrees anyway. And even though hockey careers don’t tend to last long you can probably easily transition into lower level coaching, skill development or even broadcasting careers afterwards especially if you get some NHL time. If they come from families that are even just somewhat well-off that can’t hurt either.

If they can scrape together a business degree— and they’re intelligent/fit the corporate culture, U.S. companies will drool over over a 25 year old kid out of the bigger NCAA schools who played some pro hockey. Playing a college sport is already a positive in their eyes.

And like you say the compensation is very competitive. 70K is really strong pay grade for entry level (especially if you’re 20/21), you’re getting it for hockey with a ton of days off with summer, and a lot of the time the money goes further in the places AHL teams play than it does in a major metropolitan area. Leaving school early to chase the dream has a lot of positives, and I don’t think it’s incredibly risky.

Reactions: Jacob

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Megna and Letestu left college as freshman but they were also 21ish year olds... if they had waited their window between prospect and journeyman would’ve inched closed.

Really seems to depend on a lot of factors as far as whether they leave early or not but it seems like the middle of the pack types tend to wait until at least after their junior years, I assume because they can finish their degrees in the summer or online at that point.

Signing bonus + AHL salary is probably a lot higher than the jobs they’d get in the real world with their degrees anyway. And even though hockey careers don’t tend to last long you can probably easily transition into lower level coaching, skill development or even broadcasting careers afterwards especially if you get some NHL time. If they come from families that are even just somewhat well-off that can’t hurt either. And if they wanna go back to the field they studied for I’m sure lots of places would ignore 10 years of no relevant work experience to hire a former pro athlete.

Good points. You also get injury risk vs maybe some more NCAA development time makes a big difference later.

I’d sign him if he wanted to leave. His listed size isn’t a problem either.

Reactions: Jacob

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As far as NCAA UDFA, I personally think there’s some good ones out there.

Two were at our camp. Biro from PSU and Roman Ahcan from Wisco. I think Mitchell Chaffee is probably the big forward UDFA. And then the most under the radar guy for me (and one who may have most upside imo) is Jackson Pierson out of UNH.

I don’t think Ahcan or Pierson leave yet however.

There’s other guys like Josh Dunne (Clarkson) or Max Johnson (Bowling Green) that I know are going to get contracts from teams but I haven’t seen them. Johnson is known as a speedster. Printz (Providence) will get a deal if he wants to leave I’d think.

Can’t speak for Maniscalo but program guys aren’t bad bets. Poolman is top shutdown D on top team (ND— Pens have def seen a lot of him). Ahcan’s brother Jack is a senior D at St Cloud. Can skate and score, but very small.

I know Connor Mackey is considered the big prize on defense and probably overall but I’ve barely seen him play.

I don’t think it’s a high upside group (I never do) and most will fail but I think the forwards I named all are kind of the Pens “type”.

The Mackey kid looks real nice on D.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I like the thought of Reilly...does he have a good chance of being a NHL player
I think so, but he'll probably need a year down in Wilkes-Barre.

and are there rumblings the team really likes him and/or he’ll sign here?
The team does seem to like him according to Taylor Haase. I mean they should, he's the only RHD close to making it in our system.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I like the thought of Reilly...does he have a good chance of being a NHL player

I think he at least looks like a good NA pro right now. He should be a solid AHL D imo, but there’s potential for more and either outcome is pretty good to pick up with the last pick of the draft.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad