Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's not "no way", he would just have to have an extraordinary camp to make a deep team with a demanding coach while he still has junior eligibility.

I'd be shocked. Pleasantly shocked.

This is another potential factor. There's a chance that he doens't have to go back to juniors next year, either. There is a lot still TBD between now and next year, the Penguins need to clear a lot of cap space and there may be rules with the NHL-CHL transfer agreement. It's too early to strongly say.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I really want Poulin in junior next year. He prob won’t score as much with his two linemates aging out and Sherbrooke weakening (or maybe he’s traded) but I think the best thing for his development is to continue to improve his skating, and the best place for that is junior imo.

To me, if you want to put him in the best position to reach his ceiling it’s tough to ask the kid to both adjust to pro hockey and drill/develop his individual skills.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is another potential factor. There's a chance that he doens't have to go back to juniors next year, either. There is a lot still TBD between now and next year, the Penguins need to clear a lot of cap space and there may be rules with the NHL-CHL transfer agreement. It's too early to strongly say.

I cant see that being a big factor for us right now, tbh. The Pens typically like to let their prospects ripen a bit anyway, and we're deeper than we've been in some time. I don't think we have much to worry about cap-wise.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I cant see that being a big factor for us right now, tbh. The Pens typically like to let their prospects ripen a bit anyway, and we're deeper than we've been in some time. I don't think we have much to worry about cap-wise.

If that gets implemented, Poulin's playing in the AHL next year, not the Q. Poulin's all around game is extremely well developed and he has NHL ready size and speed. If he's in the AHL next year, he's very likely getting in at least a few NHL games, if not establishing himself as a regular in the second half of the year. He'd be coming into the AHL next year in a better spot than Sprong was in 2017 in the AHL, and he dominated offensively in the AHL right out of the gate.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will move players who can be replaced or players who have upside and will command a return or players who are RFA and can be moved for cost purposes
Replaceable players JJ, Bjugstad, Reese 8.5 million
Younger upside Kahun, Simon, McCann, Riikola
RFA with much higher expected costs Murray, Jarry, Kahun, McCann,
Plus you have the coming expansion draft.
Jake Sid ?
Zucker Geno Rust
Tanev McCann Horny
Reese TB Lafferty

Murray, Kahun, Bjugstad for picks and not pay approx 13 million.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If that gets implemented, Poulin's playing in the AHL next year, not the Q. Poulin's all around game is extremely well developed and he has NHL ready size and speed. If he's in the AHL next year, he's very likely getting in at least a few NHL games, if not establishing himself as a regular in the second half of the year. He'd be coming into the AHL next year in a better spot than Sprong was in 2017 in the AHL, and he dominated offensively in the AHL right out of the gate.

Like I said, he'd have to be playing at a very high level to force the Pens hand with their depth. If he does, fantastic.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Damn, he's on fire.

I guess Felix Robert is his centerman? more points in less games.
Yeah and Voyer is on the other wing. Nice mix, Robert is small and skilled and Voyer is kind of a power forward like Poulin. I think they were a regular line last year too.

Reactions: 66-30-33

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah and Voyer is on the other wing. Nice mix, Robert is small and skilled and Voyer is kind of a power forward like Poulin. I think they were a regular line last year too.

Both are 20 and have 1999 birthdays compared to Poulin who is still 18 and 2001 birthday. Plus Poulin is the only player in the league that has a higher plus minus than games played with a +43 in only 40 games played. Poulin is having a dominant year. Too bad Poulin got hurt right before the World Junior tournament picks. It really doesn't matter as far as development goes he obviously has jumped to another level this season.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know if we should get attached to any more prospects until after the deadline.

In the meantime, any College FA's or Euro's the Pens should sign so we can at least hope for some sort of addition to this prospect pool?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be surprised if Poulin or Hallander got moved. They're both closer than Addison was in terms of making an impact in a position of need over the next 2-3 years.

Hallander's name has been notably conspicuous from the list of prospects the org particularly loves. I'm not sure he's safe.

Poulin... well, I think it would hurt Rutherford to move Poulin. But I think he'd trade anyone short of his own son for another cup.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Hallander's name has been notably conspicuous from the list of prospects the org particularly loves. I'm not sure he's safe.

Poulin... well, I think it would hurt Rutherford to move Poulin. But I think he'd trade anyone short of his own son for another cup.

unless he thinks Poulin can impact next year. Imagine that left wing depth.

Zucker - sid
Jake - geno
Poulin - McCann

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have basically nothing in the system for RH D men. A couple prospects but no one ready to impact the position. I don't believe Schultz will be back as he may want more term and AAV then GMJR can handle. But there are a number of RH FA D men I like so Pens can get their guy for the window period. In a couple of years, Poulin, possibly Legare will be pushing for top 9 slots and cheap contracts will be needed. Add in Hallander and if he can play center, all the better.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

As a Pens fan, he damn well better trade his son if that helps the Pens win a Cup...or fire his ***!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Zucker - sid
Jake - geno
Poulin - McCann

I'd imagine they have that conversation about whether he can, I imagine they're not counting out him being ready in 1-2 years... but if it tilted the odds for this year, and it was an ongoing piece like Zucker is? No guarantees.

Incidentally, I've seen a lot of places list Poulin as a RW.

As a Pens fan, he damn well better trade his son if that helps the Pens win a Cup...or fire his ***!

Careful Andy, or he'll trade you to Anaheim for a snot nosed little munchkin with at terminal illness whose lip wobbles every time he talks about how its his dying wish to see his team win the Cup...

Reactions: Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He's had somewhat similar production (including pace) to Sprong in the first 3 seasons.

I think the most important stats are what happens after the draft
Sprong draft yr pace 1.29
Sprong Draft + 1 yr pace 1.39, -7 in 33games

Poulin draft yr pace 1.13
Poulin Draft + 1 yr pace 1.78 +43 in 40games

Thats a huge jump for Poulin. And he's pacing a lot higher than sprong.
And not that plus minus is extremely important but a swing of 50 says a lot about what they are doing without the puck.

I don't think they are that similar.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Zucker - sid
Jake - geno
Poulin - McCann

I can see it happen. Poulin is dominant this season and has taken his game to another level since coming back from injury. Poulin was the number 2 pick in the 2017 Q draft for a reason. Lafreniere was the top pick that year and Poulin is only 5 months older than him. The way Poulin has been playing lately he could end up at almost 2 points a game pace and at still 18 now he can easily make the team next seasons with a good camp.

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

That could be your forward group at the start of next season. Poulin will have to beat out someone like Simon for that open spot. I actually think the chances are high Poulin makes the team next year with his development curve he has been on. Poulin has no weaknesses to keep him out and has great size and a good two way game with the only player that has a higher plus minus than games played with a plus 43 in 40 games. What is not to like about this kid.

Poulin was the only prospect I did not want to trade. For the people that tell me he is not NHL ready, tell me what in his game that holds him back? Poulin is already dominant and would gain nothing from staying in the Q. Poulin has already been his teams Captain for the past two years and was his teams leading scorer last year and has one of the best PPG in his league while also playing the best overall 200 foot game and great NHL size. Poulin already would be our biggest winger on our team now. I believe it is 100% chance Poulin makes the NHL team next year if he has a good camp.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Poulin and Legare are both, players I do not want to see this team trade.

I honestly don't care if this team loses Hallander or POJ, but these two? No. It's like we have 2 very good prospects, one a LW and the other a RW that could help this team as it ages and needs an infusion of youth and JR can't be selling them ALL off for other players.

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad