Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Continue here

Conflicted on the CHL-AHL thing. I do think it should be allowed— it would be a nice option to have for those who really need it but I honestly think there is a very minute group of players that it would benefit.

Maybe 1-2 guys league wide each year. I’d fear teams would overuse it.

It eating into the ELC and counting towards arbitration rights would help stop teams from overusing it.

When do we have to sign Reilly by before he's a UFA? hopefully he signs.

Usually its around August 15th

Thanks, still plenty of time. I'm sure he will...would hate to lose him for nothing.

I think it's a fair point to make that it is quite common for 19 year old players to struggle in the AHL, but at the same point, what benefit is there for someone like Poulin to play in the Q next year? He's already physically dominant over the average player in that league, and it's only going to be worse next year. It's not fair to the Q teams to have all 19 year old CHL players be able to play in the AHL, because a vast majority of them are going to struggle in the AHL, but it's also unfair to the players to make them go play in a league that they're clearly above just because they're not NHL ready.

I don't think the 1-2 exceptions would be a good rule, either. What if you have more than 1-2 guys that should be playing above the Q? What kind of message would it send to say Legare if Poulin got to play in the AHL (and earn a lot more money) while he has to stay in the Q? If I could make the rule, I'd make it that any 19 year old junior eligible player who starts his ELC by staying beyond 9 games in the NHL can be assigned to the AHL. It doesn't make sense to me that a team has to use years on a player's ELC while not being able to keep him in their farm system. Guys like Sprong in 2016-2017 shouldn't have to go back to the Q at age 19 when they're in year 2 of their ELC.

I don't know that just saying "if you put a 19 year old in the AHL, you have to use a year on his ELC" will prevent teams from abusing it. Telling teams they have to give these guys a standard 9 game trial in the NHL may prevent it. That would make it so that only players who are clearly out-classing their respective junior leagues will be AHL eligible. I'd honestly even be inclined to expand this to not even include an age range, where if you're starting your ELC, you should be able to go to the AHL.

He can't sign now anyway without losing NCAA eligibility.

Yeah, the official answer is 30 days after they’ve left school.

It’s so hard to say, but tbh probably wouldn’t put Poulin in the AHL next year if I had to make that choice.

I agree that would help but imo it probably shouldn’t eat into ELC unless their age counts against slide rules. If Hallander could have played in the AHL this year without burning a year, neither should the few CHLers who theoretically would be in the league.

Some may believe Poulin can jump to the Pens right out of the Q. I am not in that camp and suggest a year in the AHL is far better to allow him to adjust, get experience and continued development both physically and mentally.

That's a great point and I don’t think arbitration rights alone would be the same deterrent. How the ECHL could factor in and be changed would be interesting, too. The contract sliding could open that up as another option.

Maybe something around players having to apply for exceptional status but the Hallander’s of the world wouldn’t need to.

I don't think any players outside of the elites like McDavid and Crosby could be hurt by more development time. And in a cap world the more they develop elsewhere, the bigger impact they'll make when they reach the NHL, which is more bang for your buck cap-wise.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Incidentally, I don't hate Poulin going to the Q again if that's how it goes, but I do wonder if it wouldn't be better for his development to be picking on someone his own size and I meant that pretty literally. I'm going to guess there's a very short list of guys as powerful as him in the Q, and a decent list of names that are nowhere near. Playing against pro sized guys should sharpen his habits.

That said, I'm guessing he'll spend more time working on individual skills in the Q and get more ice time.

Reactions: Jacob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kinda the halfway point so I figured I'd add a little summary and right now things look good. Our top prospects are doing what they're meant to, our most recent draft looks good, and there's very few guys who are disappointing - basically the Penn State two, Palojarvi, and Gorman.

WHL

Calen Addison (D, Lethbridge) GP5 G1 A10 P11 PIM6 +5
JWC GP2 G0 A4 P4 PIM0 +4

What better way to celebrate a gold medal than going loco on the WHL on one's return? This month feels a bit like Addison's coming out party and while it's all about sustaining it, hopefully this is where many of us look back to and say "This is when I realised Addison was more than just another talented junior guy"

QMJHL

Samuel Poulin (W, Sherbrooke) GP10 G12 A10 P22 PIM20 +1
Nathan Legare (W, Baie-Comeau) GP11 G7 A5 P12 PIM13 -4

Poulin returned a little slow but an insane run of 16 points in his last 4 games rectified that. The question is whether he flashes hot and cold, or whether injury and slow start aside, he is simply far far far too good for the Q.

Legare's momentum continues.

SHL

Filip Hallander (W, Lulea) GP9 G4 A1 P5 PIM0 +2

Linus Olund (C, Brynas) GP11 G2 A1 P3 PIM0 -1

Solid January for our favourite non-roster Swede.

Beginning to suspect Olund's been relegated to a checking line role; I guess there are signs of life there, just about...

Liiga

Antti Palojarvi (D, Lukko/Hokki) Mestis - GP7 G0 A0 P0 PIM4 -4

Valtteri Puustinen (W, HPK) GP7 G0 A3 P3 PIM6 -1

Santeri Airola (D, SaiPa/Kettera) Mestis - GP8 G0 A4 P4 PIM2 +6

Back down to earth but still acceptable for Puustinen.

Airola retains his unholy high +/- and has some interesting individual production

Palojarvi probably not very good.

NCAA

Nikita Pavlychev (C, Penn) GP8 G3 A1 P4 PIM21 +2
Judd Caulfield (W, North Dakota) GP8 G1 A2 P3 PIM0 +4
Liam Gorman (F, Princeton) GP5 G0 A0 P0 PIM2 0
Ryan Jones (D, Nebraska-Omaha) GP4 G0 A2 P2 PIM4 -6
Clayton Phillips (D, Penn) GP6 G0 A1 P1 PIM4 -2
William Reilly (D, RPI) GP8 G1 A4 P5 PIM10 +9

Naughty naughty, very naughty Mr Pavs. Signs of life again. Which is better than can be said for his team mate Phillips, who's really not doing great right now boxscore wise.

Decent month for Caulfield. Less so from Gorman. Reilly remains the NCAA champ for us.

YEARLY TOTAL TO DATE

WHL

Calen Addison (D, Lethbridge) GP36 G8 A32 P40 PIM34 +6
JWC GP7 G1 A8 P9 PIM0 +4

Addison was 2nd for dman scoring at the World Cup and the highest Canadian dman; t-6th among all played and t-3rd on the Canada team. T-2nd for highest +/- on Canada team.

He's 29th in WHL scoring by ppg. He's t-5th among dmen by total points, but is 2nd by ppg; 5th in team scoring, 3rd by ppg.

QMJHL

Samuel Poulin (W, Sherbrooke) GP35 G28 A31 P59 PIM43 +36
Nathan Legare (W, Baie-Comeau) GP34 G18 A20 P38 PIM37 -19

Poulin is t-12th in QMJHL scoring, but 6th by ppg; 7th in goals scored. 2nd on his team.
Legare is 1st in Baie-Comeau scoring (now by 11 points with Fortier gone), 22nd in QMJHL scoring and 13th for goals.

SHL

Filip Hallander (W, Lulea) GP13 G4 A3 P7 PIM0 +4
CL GP4 G2 A1 P3 PIM0 +5
SW U20 GP4 G0 A3 P3 PIM0

Linus Olund (C, Brynas) GP36 G3 A6 P9 PIM2 -3

Olund's 11th in team scoring and middle of the pack for +/-. I'd welcome some Swedish insight, but it looks like he went back to a miserable situation and that's playing into his numbers

Hallander is 4th in team scoring by ppg and 2nd for SHL forwards under 20 by ppg.

Liiga

Antti Palojarvi (D, Lukko/Hokki)
Liiga - GP5 G0 A0 P0 PIM0 +2
U20 - GP14 G0 A3 P3 PIM6 -3
Mestis - GP17 G0 A0 P0 PIM6 -18

Valtteri Puustinen (W, HPK) GP40 G13 A20 P33 PIM16 +4
Finland GP3 G1 A0 P1 PIM0 0

Santeri Airola (D, SaiPa.Kettera)
Liiga - GP2 G0 A0 P0 PIM0 -2
Mestis - GP24 G0 A10 P10 PIM14 +15

Palojarvi has the 2nd worst +/- on his Mestis team

Airola has the 3rd highest ppg among u20 Mestis dmen and 3rd highest ppg on his team. His +/- is only 3rd among dmen there.

Puustinen is t-23 in Liiga scoring and 2nd among U21s; 2nd in team scoring and t-1st for goals.

NCAA

Nikita Pavlychev (C, Penn) GP20 G5 A6 P11 PIM35 -1
Judd Caulfield (W, North Dakota) GP22 G3 A7 P10 PIM2 +11
Liam Gorman (F, Princeton) GP20 G0 A3 P3 PIM2 -10
Ryan Jones (D, Nebraska-Omaha) GP22 G2 A7 P9 PIM35 -4
Clayton Phillips (D, Penn) GP25 G2 A7 P9 PIM20 0
William Reilly (D, RPI) GP17 G6 A6 P12 PIM12 +13

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It looks like they reunited the Poulin - Robert - Voyer line. Voyer is the team's leading scorer but both Poulin and Robert missed some time so they're the PPG leaders on the team.

Probably too early to tell but it doesn't look like Sherbrooke will be half bad next season. They're losing Robert and Voyer due to age but I see plenty of 2001 or later birthdates amongst their top players. Add in a couple overagers, and their goaltender is returning too, should still be fairly competitive if that matters at all in terms of where we want Poulin to play.

Reactions: Giskard

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Palojarvi has the 2nd worst +/- on his Mestis team

Airola has the 3rd highest ppg among u20 Mestis dmen and 3rd highest ppg on his team. His +/- is only 3rd among dmen there.

Hello, Airola and goodbye, Palojarvi as the late round Finnish D pick we get overly optimistic with.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hello, Airola and goodbye, Palojarvi as the late round Finnish D pick we get overly optimistic with.

Palojarvi never even managed to get that far tbh. It's like Airola is the true heir to Almari and Palojarvi was just some random pretender in between, the Edward II of Finnish dmen.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It looks like they reunited the Poulin - Robert - Voyer line. Voyer is the team's leading scorer but both Poulin and Robert missed some time so they're the PPG leaders on the team.

Probably too early to tell but it doesn't look like Sherbrooke will be half bad next season. They're losing Robert and Voyer due to age but I see plenty of 2001 or later birthdates amongst their top players. Add in a couple overagers, and their goaltender is returning too, should still be fairly competitive if that matters at all in terms of where we want Poulin to play.

I don’t keep up w/ the Q too well but seems like consensus (tbf there’s like 4 people) in the HF QMJHL thread is Sherbrooke should sell by Christmas next year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m surprised Almari hasn’t been a disaster in WBS, tbh.

Why?

One of the weird things about Almari to me over the past couple of years is that his fellow Finns seemed to regard him as Liiga Zach Trotman without the physicality or shot, but all the WBS watchers really like him. I dunno what's up with that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Why?

One of the weird things about Almari to me over the past couple of years is that his fellow Finns seemed to regard him as Liiga Zach Trotman without the physicality or shot, but all the WBS watchers really like him. I dunno what's up with that.

Skill level and a lot of the feedback on him has always been more dependable defensively than anything. I’m very leery of D who are sold like that and have limited skills. The Pens at their best need skill on the backend and the NHL has moved away from players with no skill on D. He was also drafted in JR’s weird phase where he took Hall and Lauzon in back to back years, and Bjorkvist. The draft Almari went in was the dumber one of the two, imo.

I don’t hate him because he’s not wholly without any skill and he’s got mobility on his side, but I’m pleasantly surprised he’s done this well.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Skill level and a lot of the feedback on him has always been more dependable defensively than anything. I’m very leery of D who are sold like that and have limited skills. The Pens at their best need skill on the backend and the NHL has moved away from players with no skill on D. He was also drafted in JR’s weird phase where he took Hall and Lauzon in back to back years, and Bjorkvist. The draft Almari went in was the dumber one of the two, imo.

I don’t hate him because he’s not wholly without any skill and he’s got mobility on his side, but I’m pleasantly surprised he’s done this well.

Mm. Again, there's always been a split here that I could see. Finnish watchers didn't like him with the puck at all - neither does Wheeler. WBS watchers seem higher there - ditto the org's scouts. I'd love to know his true size too, I remember Guerin saying he'd become 6'3" and 215lbs, but if that's true nobody else has picked it up. But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I guess I'm not that surprised by him doing well in WBS because the level's a bit different and it seemed like maybe he did better on North American ice for some weird reason... do I see him going further? I dunno. Depends who is right. Best I can tell, we've got a guy who's skating and IQ means he can be an NHL solid dman without the puck, but maybe lacks the physicality and elite skating to be more than solid there, and maybe lacks the puck skills to be NHL solid with it, which leaves you with something like Chad Ruhwedel without the clean pass. If he can keep developing, who knows?

I will say that in retrospect, maybe we'd have been better off if he hadn't made HPK men's team so young. More time being the man on his team learning to use the puck might have benefited us more than him learning to defend men early - it's a lot easier to catch up on the latter than the former.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR loves taking raw material picks like Sprong and Lauzon and seeing if they can hit a home run. So is that a bad thing? Maybe but I do think the last draft was much better as they valued size, skill and issues that can be improved such as skating and quickness. You simply never know about prospects but the Pens at least have more than they have had in years.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Mm. Again, there's always been a split here that I could see. Finnish watchers didn't like him with the puck at all - neither does Wheeler. WBS watchers seem higher there - ditto the org's scouts. I'd love to know his true size too, I remember Guerin saying he'd become 6'3" and 215lbs, but if that's true nobody else has picked it up. But yeah, I get where you're coming from. I guess I'm not that surprised by him doing well in WBS because the level's a bit different and it seemed like maybe he did better on North American ice for some weird reason... do I see him going further? I dunno. Depends who is right. Best I can tell, we've got a guy who's skating and IQ means he can be an NHL solid dman without the puck, but maybe lacks the physicality and elite skating to be more than solid there, and maybe lacks the puck skills to be NHL solid with it, which leaves you with something like Chad Ruhwedel without the clean pass. If he can keep developing, who knows?

I will say that in retrospect, maybe we'd have been better off if he hadn't made HPK men's team so young. More time being the man on his team learning to use the puck might have benefited us more than him learning to defend men early - it's a lot easier to catch up on the latter than the former.

The AHL website says 6’1” and 183lb. He really doesn’t look 6’3” and 215lb.

Who knows, it’s possible the NA ice or the system the Pens run suit him better than what he was doing in Finland. Maybe he gets the puck more and it gets the most out of the skills he has; that could explain some of the discrepancy. For the NHL I think he needs a good first pass and “Okay” passing ability if nothing else.

It might have benefitted him, and at the very least no prospect has suffered from being developed too slowly. I could see going against men too early stunting a young guy because they’re in more of a survival mode than pushing things, but it’s possible there was no improvement to be found.

Reactions: Peat

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
GMJR loves taking raw material picks like Sprong and Lauzon and seeing if they can hit a home run. So is that a bad thing? Maybe but I do think the last draft was much better as they valued size, skill and issues that can be improved such as skating and quickness. You simply never know about prospects but the Pens at least have more than they have had in years.
Give me a time machine and I will get a bunch of picks and grab ALL the good players. Life after Crosby/Malkin will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->