Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If they can scrape together a business degree— and they’re intelligent/fit the corporate culture, U.S. companies will drool over over a 25 year old kid out of the bigger NCAA schools who played some pro hockey. Playing a college sport is already a positive in their eyes.

And like you say the compensation is very competitive. 70K is really strong pay grade for entry level (especially if you’re 20/21), you’re getting it for hockey with a ton of days off with summer, and a lot of the time the money goes further in the places AHL teams play than it does in a major metropolitan area. Leaving school early to chase the dream has a lot of positives, and I don’t think it’s incredibly risky.
Playing hockey is seen as a plus in the business world because it means they likely came from a wealthy family.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He would have easily hit 100+ if he didn't miss those games. His numbers are fantastic. I'm glad one of our prospects had this kind of explosion after being drafted.

Normally the explosions happen when they've never been drafted at all.

I will never not feel slightly sad at myself for being unable to resist making Bellerive jokes, or actually be able to resist them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Normally the explosions happen when they've never been drafted at all.

I will never not feel slightly sad at myself for being unable to resist making Bellerive jokes, or actually be able to resist them.

Ban please.

Also, I didn't get the reference until you explained it in your second sentence. It's late, sue me.

Reactions: Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He would have easily hit 100+ if he didn't miss those games. His numbers are fantastic. I'm glad one of our prospects had this kind of explosion after being drafted.

well yeah, but my my point is more about the fact 100 isnt out of reach despite missing some games due to Pens camp and injuries.

It’s an arbitrary feat though. Will be interesting to see how deep Sherbrooke can go.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Who are going to be the newbies in WBS next season? Now that Addison is gone, that obviously removes him, but Hallander should absolutely be there, correct?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Who are going to be the newbies in WBS next season? Now that Addison is gone, that obviously removes him, but Hallander should absolutely be there, correct?

Reilly, Pavs and Jones if they sign.

Maybe Puustinen? I’m not sure on Hallander, I think it could go either way.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Reilly, Pavs and Jones if they sign.

Maybe Puustinen? I’m not sure on Hallander, I think it could go either way.

I'd like to believe the plan is for Hallander to come over, I'm pretty sure he'd want to, but I guess I wouldn't be completely surprised if they gave him a final season in Sweden. No way of knowing how much that leg break put him back.

I'd also add that Palojarvi is in D+3 so if they want to keep him, this summer's the time. I see zero reason in his box cars to do so, but never know.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
well yeah, but my my point is more about the fact 100 isnt out of reach despite missing some games due to Pens camp and injuries.

It’s an arbitrary feat though. Will be interesting to see how deep Sherbrooke can go.

How many more games do the Q regular season have to go?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
13 for Poulin... I think about the same for Legare.

So 27 in 13. Will blow right past it if he stays in form (30 in the last 10 I think), won't if he reverts back to being a normal mortal human being.

... screw a 100, I want to see him back at 2 ppg for the season, that's only 108 points, that's totally doable if he stays this hot.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I don't know if this has been posted but Will Reilly has been nominated for the Hobey Baker award.
It's a move that surprised nobody if you've even halfway paid attention to his season. A true bright spot playing on a team void of relative talent and he was consistently very good from start to now in all 3 zones.
Of course, his vastly improving defense without losing anything on the offensive side is what got him the nomination. Well that and roughly 399 players (and the horse they rode in on) are nominated every year.
When asked for his immediate reaction moments after hearing about his nomination, Reilly seemed as if he couldn't truly believe it and replied, "So wait... I've obviously known about this award for awhile though today I'm actually almost to shocked for words. It seems like someone is playing a joke on me which goes to show you how unexpected this was. All this time knowing about the award and today I finally get told that it's named after somebody! Like, Hobey is a really real first name, like for real! Somebody really named their child that...which, I mean, comon. Don't tell me that you aren't kinda skeptical".

The actual Will Reilly being nominated for the award is true. And pretty damn cool. Congratulations to him. Long shot of winning but seeing the progression of the draft process evolve thus far so perfectly and how it is designed to work is really cool. Especially given his prior draft status, being over looked and when drafted finally, it was in the 7th round meaning our scouts dug deep and identified value where others overlooked.

Hobey Baker website where I saw the announcement:
Will Reilly - 2020 Hobey Baker Nominee

Reactions: vabm8 and Peat

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Pronman just did a prospect Q&A over at the Athletic and said Poulin's skill has popped a lot more this season.
See, I paid for The Athletic for two years and then I just realized that it wasn't worth it for me. Largely because of stuff like this. Pronman is pretty decent for the most part, but more and more it's analysis like this. And also for the most part, because it's obviously true while being the things fans like hearing, people don't notice that the experts lack expertise...severely.
Pronman may as well have said, "Poulin's skill has popped a lot more this season" with a quick follow up into "And something that my insiders have passed along, followed by whispers in certain teams upper management which eventually turned into roars coming from all of the teams until I had to investigate the matter myself. And I then witnessed it with my own eyes. Still I was skeptical until Jesse Marshall did a video breakdown filled with magical charts which somehow continued to convey his smugness without losing any of his vibe which always reminds us how much smarter he is than us because his opinions are the only ones relevant to everything.
After all of this inside information and expert analysis which is only available to subscribers of The Athletic, I can publish the findings of my study. A study which used every bit of my inside sources cultivated throughout the years and only available with a paid subscription to The Athletic, which in the end (coming as a shock to many) actually not only CONFIRMED the existence of rain, but then, being The Athletics considerable resources devoted to bringing you the stories which you want, we ALSO CONFIRMED that not only does rain probably exist, but that if it touches your skin, clothing etc. you COULD actually get wet... probably. Because, (and this was the secret guarded the closest of all which reminds the reader why they should be grateful for my vast resources) what we came to finally piece together came as the biggest shocker of all. That being, rain IS probably WET!

Like great Corey. Poulin is smashing his marks from last year and we need to pay to be told that his play is showing more skill. Awesome

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pronman just did a prospect Q&A over at the Athletic and said Poulin's skill has popped a lot more this season.

Just found out my wife has had a subscription to the Athletic for a couple years and never bothered to tell me.

Now I can read some of this stuff and see if it’s any good.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
William Reilly was a ppg player not that long ago, now he's nearing half a point per game. He's on a horrible team so he gets a pass, but I'm a bit surprised he's gone this cold. I will say though his defensive game has gotten much better this year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just found out my wife has had a subscription to the Athletic for a couple years and never bothered to tell me.

Now I can read some of this stuff and see if it’s any good.

80-90% of it is the same stuff you'll find elsewhere, usually slightly better written, but there's a few sharp analysts - I think Justin Bourne's probably the best guy who's worked inside hockey talking about hockey I've seen - and some of the long reads are fantastic. Best was a Dallas beat writer (Shapiro I think) doing a piece about visiting Finnish youth hockey clubs and seeing how it's changed there.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
William Reilly was a ppg player not that long ago, now he's nearing half a point per game. He's on a horrible team so he gets a pass, but I'm a bit surprised he's gone this cold. I will say though his defensive game has gotten much better this year.

From the few highlights I watched of RPI, plenty of his points came with empty nets. But that also means his coach trusts him late in the game with a lead.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
80-90% of it is the same stuff you'll find elsewhere, usually slightly better written, but there's a few sharp analysts - I think Justin Bourne's probably the best guy who's worked inside hockey talking about hockey I've seen - and some of the long reads are fantastic. Best was a Dallas beat writer (Shapiro I think) doing a piece about visiting Finnish youth hockey clubs and seeing how it's changed there.

I actually came across an interesting piece doing a Google search for something skate lace related.... I created the free trial and then bitched about PayPal being too slow and my wife asked what was wrong and as I explained she revealed she’s had an Athletic account for years...

The article was well written though. Explained how many of the best young skaters like McDavid, Eichel, Johnny H, Barzal etc skate one eyelet down...

It’s apparently a trend with the younger generation and gives them more ankle flexibility which is key to getting low (drives me nuts when I see parents taping their kids skates or wrapping the laces around).

I’ve tried skating one eyelet down, but it feels weird because I’ve laced up the same way for my entire life.

It’s one of those things I’m trying to debate about changing with my daughter, but she’s been skating fully laced since she was four, and she’s nine now... and an extremely good skater so not sure I should mess with things...

Anyway, kind of a tangent there, but the piece really confirmed something I have known for some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice and Peat

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Lafferty and Angello didn’t put up amazing numbers but looked better relative to their teammates. They’ve since done well. Obviously, the one defenseman is ours.

leading scorers for RPI
F: 20
D: 17
F: 17

Goals are similar
F: 9
F: 8
D, F, F: 7

In pretty useless but whatever stats, he’s got the highest +/- for the skaters. It’s not great and I don’t like that he’s slowed down so much, but that team really is ass. But, hey, if their shittiness helped them draft him in the 7th round and he becomes anything useful, thanks. I’m surprised he’s so close to .5ppg, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad