Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
That 2019 draft already looks solid. Legare and Pustinen have boom or bust potential and Poulin will make it to the NHL in some capacity.

I have full confidence in Patrik Allvin. He was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting following the 2017 draft. I'd say 2018/2019 drafts for the Pens look good in the early process of evaluating those classes. Although Addison/Hallander are no longer part of the Pens, I think they were good picks and Almeida was worth a shot. Liam Gorman = meh.

2019 is looking real good. Poulin/Legare have legitimate NHL chances. Puustinen is looking like an NHL prospect. I always thought Caulfield was underrated because he was on an absolutely stacked US team and he had a good frosh year in college. Airola, I have no clue about, but I think the Pens have liked his progress so far.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
I believe the plans are for Bjorkqvist to spend the entire season playing in Finland - as that will give him the most games, with the AHL season length uncertain. Nice to see him looking good, and the knee in good shape.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Legare is a super translatable complimentary scorer. Like his game is simple, it’s easy to project, but he doesn’t have huge upside bc he’s pretty filled out and not an amazing skater. But b/c of that simplicity I could see him in an defined NHL role if he makes it.

Poulin seemed more raw at camp but more athletic. More potential to be a driver but it’s harder to pin down what the exact role he’d play on a line at the next level.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I believe the plans are for Bjorkqvist to spend the entire season playing in Finland - as that will give him the most games, with the AHL season length uncertain. Nice to see him looking good, and the knee in good shape.

Has 3g 1a now in 3 games

Legare now with 2g 3a in 4 games

A good start for these two. Its a shame Poulin wont be playing for at least a few weeks tho.

Reactions: Dux917

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am hopeful Bjorkqvist can still be a good sized winger for the pens. He needs to play for sure. Poulin, Legare will get games in the Q. Drozg was doing a nice job at the end of the season. Love to see him add the necessary size and strength over the next few as his shot is really good. O;Connor is a wild card here but you never know. With Maniscalco, POJ, O'Reilly on D with Maybe Lee is at least a better group of potential contributors down the road.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Speaking of the CHL:

- Svejkovsky is only CHL skater at US world junior camp I believe. Final year of eligibility, so maybe he could make it. And I could be wrong on that but I think Wolf (goalie) is only other player, also from the Western League.

@Gumbercules when would a guy like Ansons be allowed back over?

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Speaking of the CHL:

- Svejkovsky is only CHL skater at US world junior camp I believe. Final year of eligibility, so maybe he could make it. And I could be wrong on that but I think Wolf (goalie) is only other player, also from the Western League.

@Gumbercules when would a guy like Ansons be allowed back over?

Not clear at this time. There were rumblings that they would be let back into Canada later this month, as international students are going to be allowed back in as of the 20th. That move was viewed as a pre-cursor to letting other non-professionals into the country (including amateur athletes). However, certain parts of the country are starting to lose their grip on Covid. There are currently 7-8 teams in the Q either shut down or on the verge of being shut down either due to players/staff being infected, or their region restricting sporting events again. Under the circumstance there is really no clear indication of when (if at all) the doors will open up, which is a change from even this time last week when things were looking good for them getting over.

That being said, junior hockey doesn't have many 'insider' journalists, so it's difficult to gauge how close the league is to having an arrangement worked out with the government. If it does happen, the announcement is just going to fall out of the sky one day.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Ontario (and Quebec with the QMJHL?) government has also said the OHL will need to go non contact because of Covid. That might be the lead up to the OHL season being canceled all together if the league won’t adapt or the government gets stricter. Reopening plans got paused for 4 weeks back in September, they’ve had to change testing requirements and hot spots are back at a modified stage 2 right now. Numbers aren’t going to suddenly drop down in Ontario and Quebec is our fellow bad child.

I don’t think those leagues play a full season, tbh. Not in Ontario or Quebec, and I doubt any gov in the maritimes will want teams travelling in and out. The WHL might manage more.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if they ever found out if Sherbrooke got infected from on-ice transmission or if it was from something else.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
...and an hour after I comment on it being tough to say when the Euros/American kids would be able to come to Canada, the Quebec Remparts announced that their two Euros had arrived in Quebec and will be able to play after they do their 14 day quarantine.

No word on when/if Ansons will arrive, but presumably if Quebec can get their players in, other teams in the league should be able to follow suit.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Two of the three Q divisions (which include Sherbooke and Baie Comeau) have been shut down until the 28th. The Maritime Division will keep playing however.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Calle Clang saved 26 of 27 shots in Kristianstad's 2-1 OT win over Jesper Lindgren and his Modo tonight. The goal he let in was a bit of a stinker, but he was otherwise very solid. Lindgren got an assist on Modo's goal.

Kids 18 right? Playing with in older league?

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Kids 18 right? Playing with in older league?

Yeah, both are playing in the second division in Sweden. They actually played against each other last night too. Rougher outing for Clang as his team was outmatched, and he let six by. Lindgren had another assist and plenty of ice time.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
3g 3a in 5 games now for Bjorkvist. Not bad.

I dont see why he cant play in WBS Played 8 games before getting hurt. Unless the goal for JR is to turn him into a top prospect for the deadline to trade him. Keeping him in Liga would do that more than playing in WBS.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
3g 3a in 5 games now for Bjorkvist. Not bad.

I dont see why he cant play in WBS Played 8 games before getting hurt. Unless the goal for JR is to turn him into a top prospect for the deadline to trade him. Keeping him in Liga would do that more than playing in WBS.

Well, he's also actually playing some hockey right now. You know, opposed to North America.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I meant when hockey starts over here. Some were saying he should spend a full year in Liga.

Having him move mid-season - maybe waste time in quarantine - is probably not ideal. Plus you don't know what happens to the season in the North America.

See what it looks like when the AHL season starts I guess - whatever's best for him. It's certainly not a case of only being able to cope with a certain level.

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad