Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Looking for info on some players who made their debut last season...

F - Sam Lafferty
F - Anthony Angello
D - John Marino

What kind of players are they and what is their future NHL projection?

Thanks!

Lafferty is a C/RW with a lot of pace and tenacity, with a bit of physicality and skill. Earned a lot of trust and showed a scoring touch at the start of the season, but this dropped off. Unsure whether he can sustain his early version - in which case he reminds me of early Bryan Rust - or whether he just hasn't quite got it.

Angello is a RW with plenty of muscle and willingness to use it, and enough speed and skill to avoid being irrelevant. Hasn't played enough to have a good projection but right now, regular 4th liner is a good outcome for him.

Marino is a 20 minute a night RD with a .5 ppg scoring rate that has room to grow as so far, those minutes have mainly been difficult ones with little PP time. Ridiculously composed and very hard to escape due to his skating. I guess the question - other than can he do it every season and not just once - is how good his offensive upside is. He's flashed high end vision and skill but hasn't made it a regular thing. If he can make the flashes regular, maintain his play, and have the stamina to take a few more minutes, the sky's the limit.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Looking for info on some players who made their debut last season...

F - Sam Lafferty
F - Anthony Angello
D - John Marino

What kind of players are they and what is their future NHL projection?

Thanks!

Sam Lafferty - 4th liner with decent size and speed who works hard. Responsible defensively and shows flashes of offensive talent. Can play both centre and wing, did some PKing last season and expect him to continue to grow into that role. I think he'll probably mostly be used on the wing but with some face-off duty on his strong side. If he could put his offensive together more consistently then he could become a 30 point 3rd line winger who PKs.

Anthony Angello - Currently an AHLer/First call up. Didn't hurt the Pens when he played but wasn't exactly a huge help either. Big boy who can throw a hit but not sure if he's fast enough to consistently crush guys as you'd hope someone his size would. Likes to screen the goalie, scored his one NHL goal off a deflection and blocking out the sun for some poor goalie. Seemed decent enough defensively. Upside is probably a big body 4th liner who gets you 20 points and doesn't hurt you defensively.

John Marino - Our Lord and Saviour John Marino was a two-way 2nd pairing defenseman by the end of his rookie season and this coming season he's likely going to be munching 22+ minutes a game. He's a really smart hockey player who never seems to panic, good skater with great edges to navigate his way out of trouble in his own zone. He's 6'1 but has a slim build so relies on good stick work and smart positioning when defending, be interesting to see if he can fill out his frame a little more.

His offense was a big surprise given he was primarily advertised as more of a defensive defenceman. He skates well with the puck, makes good passes and his skating allows him to jump up in the play when appropriate. There is some creativity there too, I can't find the highlight but he faked a dmen into a shotblock then delivered a perfect pass for a tap in at the back door. Shot is certainly not overpowering but seems accurate and gets it to the net. Hopefully he gets 2nd unit PP time next season, not sure he'll ever be considered a 1st unit PP guy, though he is certainly smart enough to do it.

Was on pace for 40 points and I'd expect him to pace for 35-40 points next season. If he plays like he did at the end of last season then he's already a two-way #2/3 dmen in my eyes, upside is top pairing guy who scores you 40+ points while matching against other teams best lines.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
His offense was a big surprise given he was primarily advertised as more of a defensive defenceman. He skates well with the puck, makes good passes and his skating allows him to jump up in the play when appropriate. There is some creativity there too, I can't find the highlight but he faked a dmen into a shotblock then delivered a perfect pass for a tap in at the back door. Shot is certainly not overpowering but seems accurate and gets it to the net. Hopefully he gets 2nd unit PP time next season, not sure he'll ever be considered a 1st unit PP guy, though he is certainly smart enough to do it.

It's this one

I prefer his spin assist though

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
With regard to Bjorkqvist, hopefully Liiga is a bit stronger than it’s been in the past few years.

Seems a lot of prospects are putting up numbers over there in recent memory. But with the pandemic id think there’s maybe some more talent there right now, so it could be tougher.

Still better to see him having a good start, rather than a bad one.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We’re only going to have Poulin, yeah?

Legare *might* have a shot? I wouldn't be surprised if Clang and Blomqvist were playing for their respective countries too.

Also, the Juddernaut was invited to one of the American camps but I dunno if he'll make it.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Legare *might* have a shot? I wouldn't be surprised if Clang and Blomqvist were playing for their respective countries too.

Also, the Juddernaut was invited to one of the American camps but I dunno if he'll make it.

Thanks. I was looking over some projections on Dobbers but I checked the date and it was 6 months ago

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Poulin should make it, but he's not a shoe in. I'd be surprised if Legare made it, but the Q players season starting on time might be an advantage over the O and the W whose seasons will not have started when camp opens.

Blomqvist is a probable starter for Finland. Clang will probably be a 2/3 goalie for Sweden.

All of this can shift pretty quickly if any of them get hot or cold leading up to the tournament though.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
This was Dobbers Team Canada projections in April

WJC2021_CAN-768x379.png

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
here’s to hoping they’re correct.

Will be interesting to see if Laf, Dach, Cozens all play with the NHL on pause.

Last I heard was speculation January was the goal for the NHL so any of them that are NHL ready may not but given that it’s so close to the start of a season teams may be cool with it.

I’m sure COVID comes into it with the NHL but I only really keep tabs on Canada and Australia.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Raivis Ansons are peobably a lock as well. No idea how the Latvian team looks this year. But he has been on the u20 team 2 years in a a row , so I have a hard time seeing him being left off it.

Does Latvia even play in the highest division tho?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Raivis Ansons are peobably a lock as well. No idea how the Latvian team looks this year. But he has been on the u20 team 2 years in a a row , so I have a hard time seeing him being left off it.

Does Latvia even play in the highest division tho?
Not this year and I heard they were skipping the lower rounds and just not relegating any teams for next year.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Q&A in the comments

Bobby Margs is the best :laugh:

the expanded rosters make me think there’s actually a decent chance of all of Poulin, Caulfield and Clang (prob close to a lock now) making it, unless Hockey Canada and USA Hockey decide to use the slots for developmental purposes to bring a guy like a Shane Wright.

Will be interesting to follow as it plays out.. I’m excited because it’s really the first high level hockey we have a firm date for in a while.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Having goalies play in the tournament is typically great for their exposure / ranking and trade value... was quietly a huge part of Gustavsson being included in the Brassard deal.

The main upside of drafting the top Finnish and Swedish goalies this year is they should both see exposure at some point on the international level, and maybe improve their stock quicker than say, a forward from the 3rd round would.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Having goalies play in the tournament is typically great for their exposure / ranking and trade value... was quietly a huge part of Gustavsson being included in the Brassard deal.

The main upside of drafting the top Finnish and Swedish goalies this year is they should both see exposure at some point on the international level, and maybe improve their stock quicker than say, a forward from the 3rd round would.

Wallestedt (next year's top goalie prospect) will steal all the thunder for Sweden. Don't see Clang starting unless he's injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad