Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
WB/S has way too many D for next season. Almari, POJ, Warsofsky, Czuczman, Trotman, Reilly, Lee, now Maniscalo. Ideally we add enough depth to push Ruhwedel down too.

I feel like we say this every season and by January half of them are in the show filling in for injuries.

Isn't there a rule about how many "veterans" can play per night? And do we know if it's based on positions?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Isn't there a rule about how many "veterans" can play per night? And do we know if it's based on positions?

from the AHL website

“Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.”

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
from the AHL website

“Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.”

Add in John Nyberg and it seems possible we move a veteran dman - 9 d taking up 3 veteran slots may in fact be excessive.

Although we did use 9 dmen 20 or more times down in WBS last year.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Huh, so he did. And to think he cost us Oula Palve!

Not our Oula!

Trotman’s health is also a bit of a question, iirc. Injuries will take care of it and it’s possible they’re going to gamble on a D prospect being in the nhl... or Trotman will be because sully likes him. Jj-Trotman.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pronman's org ratings for us

Has Poulin as a likely top 6 winger - talks up the skill and creativity, cites foot speed as the continuing issue

Has Legare, POJ, Hallander and O'Connor as legit NHL prospects - thinks Legare's stride has improved, thinks POJ's outlets and skating will give him enough offence for the NHL, puts Hallander's IQ and compete level as the reason for his value, likes O'Connor's skillset but wishes he'd play faster

Has Puustinen (needs to get quicker), Lee (thinks he could play NHL games soon), Reilly (size, outlet, two-way, but lacking speed and skill), Bjorkqvist (quick and competitive, question marks on production), Caulfield (needs to get quicker), and Maniscalco ("very intelligent and competitive defenseman with size. His game lacks much in terms of speed or skill,") as having chances

No rankings on everyone else - mildly surprised he's gone off Bellerive so much from last season where he had him 5th in our rankings given he finished strong, but there we go.

Reactions: dogthateats

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Draft a very good prospect at 15, get picks from Murray deal and whoever else they move for picks. If Poulin and Legare and Hallander and O'Connor can be NHL players in a short time period, Pens have some players that can be moved as well. Stock the farm system with prospects and continue to add via college FA's so getting cheap elc contracts going forward opens up adding that right side forward.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
More and more why I like him on the 3rd line. He seems to be exactly what that 3rd line needs if they want the 3rd line to be capable of eating heavy minutes, a strong defensive player with some skill and creativity.

Find the right centre and I'd like to see him paired with Tanev on a 3rd line - think that has some serious two way potential.

Mildly intrigued by the possibility that both POJ and Lee could be seen as NHLers by the end of next season. Would give us a nice surfeit at a valuable position.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pronman's org ratings for us

Has Poulin as a likely top 6 winger - talks up the skill and creativity, cites foot speed as the continuing issue

Has Legare, POJ, Hallander and O'Connor as legit NHL prospects - thinks Legare's stride has improved, thinks POJ's outlets and skating will give him enough offence for the NHL, puts Hallander's IQ and compete level as the reason for his value, likes O'Connor's skillset but wishes he'd play faster

Has Puustinen (needs to get quicker), Lee (thinks he could play NHL games soon), Reilly (size, outlet, two-way, but lacking speed and skill), Bjorkqvist (quick and competitive, question marks on production), Caulfield (needs to get quicker), and Maniscalco ("very intelligent and competitive defenseman with size. His game lacks much in terms of speed or skill,") as having chances

No rankings on everyone else - mildly surprised he's gone off Bellerive so much from last season where he had him 5th in our rankings given he finished strong, but there we go.

Last week I spent a decent amount of time watching and reading about Hallander. His Timra IK SuperElit highlights sure show why he got bumped up two hockey levels as his skating blew everyone away at that lower level.

Due to said skating, he was a huge pain in the ass on the forecheck and created a ton of offense because of it. You can tell he's got the smarts and I think his hands are underrated.

In the subsequent years, his skating didn't stand out nearly as much, but that's to be expected with the increased level of competition. His forechecking, smarts, and hands still stood out though. Looking at game highlights, I think he was one of his team's top PKers. I didn't see lineups posted, but he looked to mostly play LW. Though I suspect he's smart enough to play RW as well.

Honestly, I think Hallander is what the Pens brass think and hope ZAR is. But he's not physical.

It's seem that Björkqvist will play in Finland next season, don't know if it is a loan for all the season or until the AHL is back (if): Kasper Björkqvist Kouvolaan!

And what a beautiful name is KooKoo

Via Google Translate:

"2016 World Youth Champion Kasper Björkqvist, 23, reinforces the KooKoo attack with a year-long loan agreement.

After the unfortunate last season, there will certainly be enough hunger. The fact that both Kasper and Pittsburgh felt it was a good place for KooKoo to develop this season was a very positive thing for us. When the player himself expressed his desire to play in Kouvola, a contract was easily reached."

Seems like both sides determined it was good for him to head to Finland to actually get a "full" season in. Here's hoping he stays healthy.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm curious @Peat, do you happen to have access to what Pronman said about the Penguins prospect pool a year ago with respect to Marino? I want to compare what he said about Maniscalco to what he said about Marino a year ago.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm curious @Peat, do you happen to have access to what Pronman said about the Penguins prospect pool a year ago with respect to Marino? I want to compare what he said about Maniscalco to what he said about Marino a year ago.

IIRC Pronman was complimentary of Marino and really liked his skating. I could be wrong though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
@Randy Butternubs - Hallander is a favorite of mine. Pretty sure I voted him as our number 1 guy last summer.

I’ve seen a ton of him and I think the defensive IQ is through the roof. His numbers weren’t all that bad this year either. IIRC primary points per 60 was solid, especially for his age, and I believe that’s with him only shooting like 5% or so at ES.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

"15. John Marino, D, Harvard-ECAC
May 21, 1997 | 6-foot-1 | 181 pounds
Tier: Has a chance

Marino is a player who I think has pro attributes but whose numbers were suppressed this past season playing on such a talented blue line at Harvard. I see a 6-foot-1 defenseman who skates well – if not very well – sees the ice at a high-level, has some skill and can defend. Those are a lot of checkmarks in the scouting report. The only thing that hasn’t come from Marino is consistent offensive production in the ECAC. I still think he’s a prospect because of the rest of the tools, and he played on a deep blue line in terms of offensive skill."

2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 28 Pittsburgh Penguins

The general overview is representative, but being ranked the 15th best prospect in the 28th ranked prospect pool, he wasn't projected to have anywhere near the kind of impact he had. He was rated behind players like Miletic and Drozg.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Reading reports from the Pens camp Poulin skating was not an issue. Maybe not blazing fast but his skating as to speed was more than adequate. He will add some size as he matures and I think he is more than a 3rd line winger. It has been a long time since the Pens have had a power forward in the top 6.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Probably much more likely the Euro leagues are unaffected by the pandemic than North American minor leagues for a number of reasons.

I think we’ll see more prospects head to Europe next year. Raphael Lavoie is going to Sweden instead of the AHL.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Well, if anyone cares ...

tenor.gif

Reactions: steelcityassault

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
In case you weren't aware, Q training are going on right now and Poulin is in Sherbrooke's camp. I assume Legare is in BC's camp, but I haven't been able to confirm it (he was on the training camp roster). Pre-season games start tonight, but neither are dressed.

I assume the plan is for them to play the first couple of months in the Q and then report to Pens camp whenever it happens.

The Q has changed their alignment for the season and broken the league into three six team divisions. Teams will only play opponents from their division for the season. Playoff format is still TBD.

Poulin also figures to be in the mix for the WJHC if it occurs as well. Legare would be more of a long shot, but could get there with a strong start. The WJHC will be unusual in general this year if goes forward since the W & O won't be starting until Dec 1 and who knows what the NCAA will do. Guys that have been playing since early in the fall might have and edge over guys whose seasons got started late.

It sound like the NCAA might let players go back and play Junior A/USHL if they want to for the first half of the season, but it all seems up in the air at the moment.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
In case you weren't aware, Q training are going on right now and Poulin is in Sherbrooke's camp. I assume Legare is in BC's camp, but I haven't been able to confirm it (he was on the training camp roster). Pre-season games start tonight, but neither are dressed.

I assume the plan is for them to play the first couple of months in the Q and then report to Pens camp whenever it happens.

The Q has changed their alignment for the season and broken the league into three six team divisions. Teams will only play opponents from their division for the season. Playoff format is still TBD.

Poulin also figures to be in the mix for the WJHC if it occurs as well. Legare would be more of a long shot, but could get there with a strong start. The WJHC will be unusual in general this year if goes forward since the W & O won't be starting until Dec 1 and who knows what the NCAA will do. Guys that have been playing since early in the fall might have and edge over guys whose seasons got started late.

It sound like the NCAA might let players go back and play Junior A/USHL if they want to for the first half of the season, but it all seems up in the air at the moment.

Whats Sherbrooke’s outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad