Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, the only way that deal makes sense is as a thank you to Kevin Stevens, because signing Luke while letting Pavlychev walk is certainly a questionable move.

I think the AHL deal with Pavlychev was the right call and he didn’t take it. He did enough that I get continued interest but not enough that I get giving him an NHL deal other than being huge. Using a contract slot on Stevens is questionable in itself, though.

But, yeah, I’m almost certain this is a thanks for Marino signing. Maybe some old fashioned nepotism.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Jesse says Stevens junior plays and stands on his merits, but didn't say what they are.
smooth stride that allows him to be so much stronger on the puck. Uses his long reach and balance to protect the puck. He has a big booming shot ....... not a lot, but........

Reactions: Peat

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Nah, its different with Hallander when he has a contract with Lulea alreday. He will attend the Pittsburgh camp when it is. If he doesn't take a spot, he will return to play the reminder of the season with Lulea, they said in some article that i've read.

This is correct. If he doesn't make the Pens roster, he will be sent back to Luleå. As far as I understand it, AHL is not an option for 20/21.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If you were a young Russian hockey player, where would you sign an AHL contract if you had a choice?

Tampa has done very well drafting and developing Russians. We have largely ignored them, save for Malkin (who was drafted as a no-brainer selection 16 years ago)!

Even Russians who come over to North America early, who play in the state of Pennsylvania like Pavlychev did, want no part of this organization.

I think it is telling.

Reactions: Andy99

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

So much for not wanting an AHL deal ...

That's dumb and stupid...maybe?

Not that I had much hope of Pavlychev being more than a useful bottom six AHL player, but...huh. Given his ties to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area (played for the WBS Knights from ages 13-16 and went to college <2 hours away) I figured that'd be an easy fit for him. Guess he must have felt insulted, which is weird given that he's coming off a 14 point senior season as a 7th round pick that wasn't on most draft boards. Oh well, nothing of value really lost. Him getting a NHL contract would have basically necessitated taking another step offensively, rather than a step backwards (13, 14, 29, & 14 points at Penn State for Nikita). Then again I've never been as smitten with giants as most, but his game is so far away from NHL-ready that I'd argue against the value of spending one of the 50 contract spots on him. He was as clear as a AHL contract offer as you could get. He is under his rights to turn it down and he did. Good luck to the kid, but I'm not going to pretend we lost someone I expected to play above an AHL 3rd line.

Of course the fact that we then spent a contract spot on Kevin Stevens' kid kinda disrupts that...but hey, Stevens had 1 fewer point on a mediocre to bad Yale team in a lower scoring conference (Pavs was 10th on Penn State in scoring; Stevens 6th on Yale), is also huge, and has strengths that could see him turn into something in the AHL. Pavs...I seriously have no clue what this kid is going to be, I just never saw NHL in him. Absolutely no regrets in drafting him in the 7th as a massive hail mary attempt, though. You can't teach size, and as long as we're talking absurdly low value picks instead of high ones I'm all for the lottery ticket pick in the late rounds. The fact that we're still talking about him 5 years after being the 197th pick is almost impressive considering the other guy we didn't sign was a 4th rounder whose name has already been scrubbed from my memory.

If you were a young Russian hockey player, where would you sign an AHL contract if you had a choice?

Tampa has done very well drafting and developing Russians. We have largely ignored them, save for Malkin (who was drafted as a no-brainer selection 16 years ago)!

Even Russians who come over to North America early, who play in the state of Pennsylvania like Pavlychev did, want no part of this organization.

I think it is telling.

I know the guy is Russian, but he's been living and playing in the States for half of his life now. I think lumping him in with Europeans coming from Europe is a bit off...especially when we're talking about a 197th overall pick coming off a bad senior season on a powerhouse team who was never a lock for a two-way contract in the first place.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think it is telling.

couldn’t agree more..speaks more to the Tampa organization and how the Pens ignore Russian players...will come back to bite us worse than Pavlychev because we could have been in the mix for players like Gusev and Panarin before he went to Chicago but they weren’t interested in the Pens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
couldn’t agree more..speaks more to the Tampa organization and how the Pens ignore Russian players...will come back to bite us worse than Pavlychev because we could have been in the mix for players like Gusev and Panarin before he went to Chicago but they weren’t interested in the Pens

Panarin signed for an org with, best as I can tell, one other Russian player on the main team (and we were reported as being in the mix for him). Gusev was happy to come over and play for Vegas if they wanted him, an org with no Russians that had recently shafted Shipyachov.

This is a molehill, not a mountain.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Disagree completely. Pavlychev is basically Galchenyuk not Gusev or Panarin.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Disagree completely. Pavlychev is basically Galchenyuk not Gusev or Panarin.

I’m not saying he’s a good player...I’m saying Russian players aren’t interested in coming to the Pens because the Pens generally show no interest in scouting or drafting Russian players during JR’s tenure...we were reportedly interested in Panarin but he chose Chicago and that was reported at the time...and I’m not saying Russian players only choose to go where there are other Russians but the Pens are not a favorable organization for them and we should be changing that

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Relax everyone. Pavlychev out is a bummer but let's be realistic about what he is. He's that "hey, whos that tall kid we have?" prospect. If he was going to be an impact player, we would probably have some idea of that by now.

He was offered the contract and chose not to sign. Player do that. Move on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m not saying he’s a good player...I’m saying Russian players aren’t interested in coming to the Pens because the Pens generally show no interest in scouting or drafting Russian players during JR’s tenure...we were reportedly interested in Panarin but he chose Chicago and that was reported at the time...and I’m not saying Russian players only choose to go where there are other Russians but the Pens are not a favorable organization for them and we should be changing that

He chose Chicago over us because they were an actual contender at the time and we had just basically gotten swept by NYR.

We got Plotnikov that summer. Gusev was a prospect who Vegas held the rights for. You're making shit up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Relax everyone. Pavlychev out is a bummer but let's be realistic about what he is. He's that "hey, whos that tall kid we have?" prospect. If he was going to be an impact player, we would probably have some idea of that by now.

He was offered the contract and chose not to sign. Player do that. Move on.

# 1. I think it sucks because we invested a lot of time into a player that has a unique skillset and he chose not to sign with us.

# 2. He just signed with the best development team in the league so obviously he showed something.

# 3. He played at PSU so he has a "local" feel to him. With the way PSU is shaping up being a organization that is a pipeline for that school would be huge for us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm hoping for Maniscalco, but based on JR's comment, I think it's actually Kiersted. I do think Maniscalco makes more sense from a position POV, but the fact that JR flat out said "we thought he was going back to school another year" after Kiersted said he was going to come back to ND for his senior year makes it a stronger argument for it being him IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

But you don't know that they're not interested in coming. You've got Panarin opting to sign for the reigning SC champs in one of the great cities in the world, and Pavlychev deciding he'd rather take an AHL contract somewhere else - just like Blaine Byron did a few years back - and that's about it. We don't know if we approached any other Russians since Plotnikov, or if a fit hasn't come up.

We do know that Russians routinely sign for organizations that aren't particularly big on Russians though.

This is a bit like exclaiming how fortunate and surprising it is that Radim Zohorna would be willing to come sign for us given how little attention we pay to Czechs in the draft and free agency.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
# 1. I think it sucks because we invested a lot of time into a player that has a unique skillset and he chose not to sign with us.

# 2. He just signed with the best development team in the league so obviously he showed something.

# 3. He played at PSU so he has a "local" feel to him. With the way PSU is shaping up being a organization that is a pipeline for that school would be huge for us.

Is Tampa the best development team though? And if so, what have they won recently with all these developed kids? I get what you're saying though, I'm playing devils advocate to help keep things in perspective. He could go on to be Sundqvist, who knows. He could also be DiPauli. Remember how excited we were to get a Rust-like clone? Similar situation as to Pavs and DiPauli hasn't done squat.

Pavs also doesn't have a unique skill set that we can't live without. He's not a speed PMD, a top 6 wing with speed. He's got size. So...we're looking at long shot Bjugstad basically? Sucks but I wouldn't shed any tears over this.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He chose Chicago over us because they were an actual contender at the time and we had just basically gotten swept by NYR.

We got Plotnikov that summer. Gusev was a prospect who Vegas held the rights for. You're making shit up.
People here poo-poo'd Gusev when I mentioned him. They were full on Sullytards so I can't blame them. I've been guilty of judging prospects that wouldn't make it because they weren't pluggish enough. But I honestly don't get why euro fas would come to the Pens seeing how they aren't given a chance to showcase their talent. It's no wonder of all of them, we got Plots. And even that ended poorly because Sully just had zero patience to give him any sort of shot and it failed on both sides miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad