Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Depends slightly how you define difference I guess.

And yeah, the grind could be a mistake, but it isn't for all and there's no real way of knowing ahead of time.

Hopefully he comes into camp like the forward version of Marino and forces their hand regardless of the depth chart.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hopefully he comes into camp like the forward version of Marino and forces their hand regardless of the depth chart.

Marino's an interesting comp to me as my memory is most people didn't think he'd forced their hand, and were happy to see him go to the AHL and spend some time in a big role there before bouncing into the NHL. I know that's what I thought. And the org bent over backwards to get him in - few people here thought they were stupid - and look how that went down. Look at how he developed throughout the season. Part of me thinks Marino's a freak but part of me is maybe readjusting my expectations of what is possible for inexperienced players in the NHL in good situations.

And if you compare to Poulin - Poulin's stronger, has a more obviously developed offensive game, and is better used to the year round grind. He's played more games in the last two years than Marino had played in the past three. Obviously there's a level of settled body that comes with being 22 rather than 19 but surface level I'm not seeing a huge difference in terms of readiness. The real question there is readiness upstairs. Maybe Marino was a freak there.

Or maybe there's a route there for Poulin if he's the right sort of guy.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Marino's an interesting comp to me as my memory is most people didn't think he'd forced their hand, and were happy to see him go to the AHL and spend some time in a big role there before bouncing into the NHL. I know that's what I thought. And the org bent over backwards to get him in - few people here thought they were stupid - and look how that went down. Look at how he developed throughout the season. Part of me thinks Marino's a freak but part of me is maybe readjusting my expectations of what is possible for inexperienced players in the NHL in good situations.

And if you compare to Poulin - Poulin's stronger, has a more obviously developed offensive game, and is better used to the year round grind. He's played more games in the last two years than Marino had played in the past three. Obviously there's a level of settled body that comes with being 22 rather than 19 but surface level I'm not seeing a huge difference in terms of readiness. The real question there is readiness upstairs. Maybe Marino was a freak there.

Marino's most definitely a freak there.

But maybe Poulin is too. :dunno:

Reactions: Peat

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Marino had a crazy learning curve. His preseason was impressive but he was making decisions NHL players would pounce on in regular play. I figured he’d need some AHL time to iron those things out but by the time the season started and he got in, he’d largely adjusted.

These things can happen. Marino stepped in to the NHL easily, Maatta showed up NHL ready after 1 season, Murray stepped into a cup run with single digit NHL games, etc. Then you have Dumoulin who took years in the AHL, Jarry took years to figure everything out, or Guentzel who started in the AHL, played some NHL games and got sent back down to work on some things.

I think Poulin gets his 9 games next season and after that we’ll see. He got to experience the intra-squad scrimmages and that could give him a very clear idea of what he needs to do over the offseason or whatever it’s called and with everything being pushed back he’ll be a bit older.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think Poulin gets his 9 games next season and after that we’ll see. He got to experience the intra-squad scrimmages and that could give him a very clear idea of what he needs to do over the offseason or whatever it’s called and with everything being pushed back he’ll be a bit older.
he just won't have much time to work on it.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
To me, the big thing that makes me think it's likely that Poulin makes the NHL next year is how well rounded his defensive game is already. This isn't a Sprong situation where his 2-way game is so bad that you can't play him even if he's producing. You can legitimately throw Poulin on the Penguins 4th line in place of ZAR or Tanev and use it the same exact way as you're using it now. There are a lot more opportunities available for Poulin for next year because of how much flexibility he offers, he can play both LW and RW and play in both defensive and offensive roles.

I don't see what he has to gain in juniors that he can't gain in the NHL. As a matter of fact, I think him bullying juniors with his size instead of learning how to produce in the NHL may be bad for his development offensively. His all-around game is good enough where you can play him in an everyday role, and if his offense transitions into the NHL, you have at least a good 3rd line LW for McCann next year.

Poulin has nothing to gain in the Q. He has been his team captain the past two years. The year we drafted Poulin he was already his teams leading scorer by a large margin. This past year his team was much better and when healthy Poulin was producing as well as the elite players in the league.

Poulin already has NHL size and plays a good two way game. I think it would be a waste of a year to send him down but he still has to prove one of the top 9 forwards for me to keep him up. If Poulin has a good camp and plays better than the McCann's, Simon, Hornqvist, and whoever else is fighting for those other 3 top 9 winger spots then he should stay. As of now you have Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, and then many fighting for the last 3 top nine winger spots. I think Poulin can squeeze into one of those spots. Simon won't be ready early season and anyone else fighting for those spots Poulin can beat for a spot. Name the 6 wingers that Poulin has no chance of outplaying. I only see 3 definite wingers and after that I think he could show better.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Marino had a crazy learning curve. His preseason was impressive but he was making decisions NHL players would pounce on in regular play. I figured he’d need some AHL time to iron those things out but by the time the season started and he got in, he’d largely adjusted.

These things can happen. Marino stepped in to the NHL easily, Maatta showed up NHL ready after 1 season, Murray stepped into a cup run with single digit NHL games, etc. Then you have Dumoulin who took years in the AHL, Jarry took years to figure everything out, or Guentzel who started in the AHL, played some NHL games and got sent back down to work on some things.

The 9 games may coincide with Simon still being out or rehabbing due to shoulder surgery so that may be feasible. He could force a trade like Marino did.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The 9 games may coincide with Simon still being out or rehabbing due to shoulder surgery so that may be feasible. He could force a trade like Marino did.

I could definitely see this happening. We have a nice group of wingers but after the top 3 of Guentzel, Zucker, and Rust I could see Poulin beating out the 6th best one to get on one of our top 3 lines. Poulin would be competing with players like McCann, Hornqvist, Tanev, Rodriguez, Lafferty, and ZAR if I am right about our other wingers. I could easily see him being the best option for that 6th and final top 9 spot as a winger.

McCann has been underwhelming the second half of the season, Hornqvist will most likely be a lock but even if Poulin couldn't beat out one of those the rest of the group for that last spot is definitely manageable. Add in the fact they like the 4th line as configured which takes Tanev out of this equation. So with Simon most likely out the first half of the season I see no reason why Poulin couldn't make this club with a good camp. Obviously it will be up to his play during camp and preseason but I think it is a very realistic possibility.

Plus POJ in for JJ. I predict both Poulin and POJ make the team.

Reactions: Giskard

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was looking at the Pens center prospects and came across Liam Gorman. This post isn't about him though.

His college team, Providence, has been terrible these last 2 years, but their main goalie has some respectable stats. Given how much of a shit show goalie prospects are I hope the Pens are keeping an eye on him. Him being Jeremie Forget. What a name.

Yinz member Eric Hartzell?

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Tomorrow is the dead line to sign Ryan Jones and Nikita Pavlychev, so I guess we aren't gonna sign either. I though Pavlychev would at least get an AHL deal in WBS.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tomorrow is the dead line to sign Ryan Jones and Nikita Pavlychev, so I guess we aren't gonna sign either. I though Pavlychev would at least get an AHL deal in WBS.

Christ that crept up fast.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn a good many NCAA players have decided to wait until 15th August and go free agent this year, so maybe Pavlychev was offered something and said no. It's not like they missed out on any hockey this year for doing so.

edit: Found this list in trades forum, think this is all the guys about to go unsigned

Arizona
D - Dean Stewart|Nebraska-Omaha|2016|#188

Boston
D - Cameron Clarke|Ferris State|2016|#136|Signed by Wichita (ECHL)

Carolina
F - Matt Filipe|Northeastern|2016|#67
D - Luke Martin|U. of Michigan|2017|#52
F - Luke Stevens|Yale|2015|#126
F - Max Zimmer|Wisconsin|2016|#104

Chicago
D - Ryan Shea|Northeastern|2015|#121

Colorado
F - Cameron Morrison|Notre Dame|2016|#40
F - Denis Smirnov|Pennsylvania|2017|#156

Columbus
F - Carson Mayer|Ohio State|2017|#179

Edmonton
F - Graham McPhee|Boston College|2016|#149

Florida
F - Karch Bachman|Miami-Ohio|2015|#132
F - Miguel Fidler|Ohio State|2014|#143
D - Benjamin Finkelstein|Boston College|2016|#195
F - Patrick Shea|Maine|2015|#192

New York Islanders
F - Nick Pastujov|U. of Michigan|2016|#193

Ottawa
F - Christopher Wilkie|Colorado College|2015|#162

Pittsburgh
F - Nikita Pavlychev|Penn State|2015|#197
D - Ryan Jones|Nebraska-Omaha|2016|#121

San Jose
D - Karlis Cukste|Quinnipiac|2015|#130

Tampa Bay
D - Ryan Zuhlsdorf|U. of Minnesota|2015|#150

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Zohorna intrigues me. I wonder if he could win a job in camp (assuming he returns from his loan stint). His size would come in handy. I think he would look good in place of Aston-Reese on the fourth line. With opportunities for advancement.

The problem is we have at least two prospects on the wing better than him in Poulin and Legare. So, he would certainly have to show something in camp (with little time to do so). Still, 6-6, 220 pound wingers are quite rare. He could be a nice piece for the bottom six.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Article form DK sports who rate Martin and Morrison as two top gets from the college ranks. GMJR has to be aggressive more than normal here in adding talent and size and grit to he Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad