Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Considering how he looked in preseason I think Legare has a shot sometime soon too.

That's the interesting one to me. Poulin is the one they keep talking about. But Legare looked more standout last camp. I'm not sure he's as good as Poulin but his shot changes a lot of things. Poulin has to be above NHL level on a lot of things. Legare maybe doesn't.

Tbh, while we're talking about this, given the European leagues starts before ours - what happens if Hallander starts on a tear and it looks like he should be with us? Can we recall him from loan at that point?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's the interesting one to me. Poulin is the one they keep talking about. But Legare looked more standout last camp. I'm not sure he's as good as Poulin but his shot changes a lot of things. Poulin has to be above NHL level on a lot of things. Legare maybe doesn't.

Tbh, while we're talking about this, given the European leagues starts before ours - what happens if Hallander starts on a tear and it looks like he should be with us? Can we recall him from loan at that point?

If he has an out clause.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I was just about to mention Legare. He was a standout at camp, had a less productive season on a bad team and then didn’t make the post season camp. I’m guessing he’s below Poulin on the internal rankings of NHL readiness at least. They’re an interesting pair to compare since they were drafted together. In the preseason when we were so innocent and naive, I would have said Legare is closer to the NHL but Poulin might have the higher upside. It looks like Poulin probably progressed more after then and I think he’s a better skater which could be crucial.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
*looks at boxcars* Looks like the kid got the body but not the hands.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Saw this in a thread about Fagemo, figure it applies to Hallander as well.

There's different rules for different leagues in Sweden.

SHL has decided that they will not allow short-term contracts, thus if you sign a contract now you need to play the entire season for that team. (otherwise he would surely resign with Frölunda).

The other Swedish leagues (Allsvenskan and lower) have not disallowed short-term contracts.

Thus even if Fagemo signs with Södertälje (or another Allsvenskan team) he will join LAs camp in the fall / winter.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Big kid, 6'4"...his stats don't really wow you, but I'd be curious as to what the Canes saw when they drafted him and the Pens (outside of the family ties).

This was interesting from that article...
Other than his father, Stevens has a few connections in the Penguins organization already. He was drafted by Carolina during Mike Vellucci's tenure as assistant general manager. Stevens was teammates with recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton signing Billy Sweezey for three years in high school and all four years at Yale. He also works with the same skills coach as John Marino, with whom he used to play youth hockey.

Jim Rutherford told Dave Molinari on Monday morning that the Penguins were interested in one of the 21 college players who hit free agency on Aug. 15, but that "it sounds like we are probably not in the hunt for him. He has his mind set on another team.” If the player he was talking about was Stevens, it seems like Stevens had a late change of heart.

Some other stuff about him...

Luke Stevens
The final player on this list and the final Luke. Stevens was a fifth-round pick in 2015 and has since played four years for Yale. Mark him down as very smart. His father, Kevin Stevens, was a long-time Pittsburgh Penguin having played with Mario Lemieux in the 90s.
However, unlike his father, he hasn’t been putting up great numbers and has fallen off the radar for the Carolina Hurricanes.
In his four years with Yale, the 23-year-old winger hasn’t produced much. This season saw him get career-high goals and points at seven and twelve respectively. Not exactly enough to buy your ticket to an NHL team.
Five Prospects the Carolina Hurricanes Need to Sign By The Summer

He seems like a poor man's Zach Sanford.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
We have been signing Some big boys the past couple of years.

Poulin 6’1” 216
Legare 6’ 205
Zohorna 6’6” 225
O’Connor 6’3” 205

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I really would’ve liked to keep pavs and see what he could do in the A. Oh well

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, the only way that deal makes sense is as a thank you to Kevin Stevens, because signing Luke while letting Pavlychev walk is certainly a questionable move.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jesse says Stevens junior plays and stands on his merits, but didn't say what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad