Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I feel like P.O. Joseph could cure a lot of problems if he plays next year.

Loved what I saw from him in training camp. He's decisive under pressure. Has a great f***ing first pass. Wish he was available to us this season and playoffs. Would feel a lot better with him on the 3rd pairing. But I guess I understand the need to get him an AHL season.

However, if he gets shut down again next training camp, that will be a mistake. Pens need him.

As always. A player is rarely hurt by having more time in the minors.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It seems like Legare doesn't get a whole lot of attention for the amount of goals he produces.

Probably has to do with how bad his team was this season:

"April 2020 – Légaré had a bit of a setback season this year. Playing on a weaker team might have affected his play throughout the year. He was worst on the team in plus minus with a minus-24 rating and was one of the top players in the QMJHL leading in goals against. So it is hard to determine if he was struggling defensively or if it was just because he was on a weaker defensive team. On the upside, Légaré has proved he can work well on the power-play, having scored 14 power-play goals this season. He ended up finishing the year with 35 goals and 36 assists for 71 total points in 61 games played with the Baie-Comeau Drakkar. Clare McManus

February 2020 – The sniping winger has 27 goals and 30 assists in 51 games, better than a point per QMJHL game. It is, however, significantly behind his 2018-19 pace that resulted in 45 scores and 42 helpers in 68 outings. That could be explained by Baie-Comeau struggling at around .500 compared to the Drakkar’s 49-15-2 record last season. More evidence? After finishing plus-37 in the team’s 102-point campaign, Légaré is minus-24 so far this time. Mark Allan
"

Nathan Légaré

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Bjorkqvist is a physical tank, hopefully that converts to hockey success though :laugh:

Yeah. His work ethic seems to be ridiculous across the board.

"(Bjorkqvist) worked on other aspects of his game that we talked to him about with (Hennes), our skills guy," Vellucci told me in March. "We talked about working on his hands and his shooting. If that guy didn’t stick handle three or four hours a day, he was doing it five or six hours a day. He’s such a hard worker.”

"Kasper is the most eager, attentive, hungry player to get better on the ice and off the ice. He's dialed in and hungry for more." Hennes said. "A skill series usually takes three, four days for a guy to get comfortable. He spends so much time on it. You have to be two steps ahead of Kasper, because you didn't know if it would be tomorrow or two days from now before he's calling asking for something more."

That can overcome a lot.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Probably has to do with how bad his team was this season:

"April 2020 – Légaré had a bit of a setback season this year. Playing on a weaker team might have affected his play throughout the year. He was worst on the team in plus minus with a minus-24 rating and was one of the top players in the QMJHL leading in goals against. So it is hard to determine if he was struggling defensively or if it was just because he was on a weaker defensive team. On the upside, Légaré has proved he can work well on the power-play, having scored 14 power-play goals this season. He ended up finishing the year with 35 goals and 36 assists for 71 total points in 61 games played with the Baie-Comeau Drakkar. Clare McManus

February 2020 – The sniping winger has 27 goals and 30 assists in 51 games, better than a point per QMJHL game. It is, however, significantly behind his 2018-19 pace that resulted in 45 scores and 42 helpers in 68 outings. That could be explained by Baie-Comeau struggling at around .500 compared to the Drakkar’s 49-15-2 record last season. More evidence? After finishing plus-37 in the team’s 102-point campaign, Légaré is minus-24 so far this time. Mark Allan
"

Nathan Légaré

Sounds like another Sprong situation brewing.

Bjorkqvist is a physical tank, hopefully that converts to hockey success though :laugh:

I don't have real high hopes for Bjorkqvist, but I do think he will be able to stick as a 4th liner due to physicality and work ethic alone.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sounds like another Sprong situation brewing.

I don't have real high hopes for Bjorkqvist, but I do think he will be able to stick as a 4th liner due to physicality and work ethic alone.

Not sure you can say that without the answer to this question from the write up you quoted (unless you've watched him a bit this year, then I'll obviously defer to you):

So it is hard to determine if he was struggling defensively or if it was just because he was on a weaker defensive team

Has anyone watched him and his team this year to offer insight on this one?

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Not sure you can say that without the answer to this question from the write up you quoted (unless you've watched him a bit this year, then I'll obviously defer to you):

So it is hard to determine if he was struggling defensively or if it was just because he was on a weaker defensive team

BC comes to town once a year, so i've seen him in person twice (and a few more on streams). He's fine defensively. Not a strength, but not a weakness. He competes very hard on pucks, and is a strong kid which helps. The problem with Sprong, even when he was in PEI was that he was aimless when the puck wasn't on his stick, which is definitely not a problem for Legare. Foot speed is the worry with him. Not skating in cement, but not going to be separating from a lot of guys at the NHL level. I think i've made this comparison before, but he has a similar game to Okposo. He's a good prospect, but expecting him to be in the NHL next in the next year or two is a bit of stretch in my view.

As for his +/- this year, BC was not very good this year. They were basically a one line team with him and Gabe Fortier (plus Ortiz on D) until Fortier was traded. I wouldn't read too much into it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I don't think these types of questions occur with a player who is good defensively. If he were good defensively, I would image it would read something like, "He plays a sound two-way game, and is a good back checker despite having the worst +/- on the team."

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think these types of questions occur with a player who is good defensively. If he were good defensively, I would image it would read something like, "He plays a sound two-way game, and is a good back checker despite having the worst +/- on the team."

You're assuming whoever wrote it thinks the same as you in terms of how to frame it - and, more importantly, also that they actually watched him and that this is based on how he plays, which isn't a given considering it's solely analysis of his numbers.

Every scouting report on him I've read by someone who's actually watched him is at worse neutral on his defensive game. His team gave him more PKing responsibilities this season. You're making something out of nothing here.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You're assuming whoever wrote it thinks the same as you in terms of how to frame it - and, more importantly, also that they actually watched him and that this is based on how he plays, which isn't a given considering it's solely analysis of his numbers.

Every scouting report on him I've read by someone who's actually watched him is at worse neutral on his defensive game. His team gave him more PKing responsibilities this season. You're making something out of nothing here.

Dude, we are in the middle of a global quarantine...the only thing anyone can do right now is make something out of nothing.

Reactions: KIRK

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
With respect to the +/-, being last on the team isn't a good look. However, mitigating factors would be that he is on the ice more than his teammates, and is always getting the most difficult matchups. Last year for example when they were in town his line was going shift for shift with Lavoie-Groulx-Trepanier and Barron on D. Seeing similar matchups every single night but not really having the same type of supporting cast around you can do a number on your plus/minus. Again, don't think he is going to remind anyone of Marian Hossa, but it's not the top concern with him in my book.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate looking at the prospects for the draft and getting my hopes up, but if the Pens look at trading into the 1st round of picks, I am hoping Lundell drops enough for the Pens to trade into the 20-30 range and pick him up at 20th (hoping he drops or they trade up 10-15 range where he might go).

I think he's a fantastic fit for the type of player that would come in after a year or two of developing into a 3c/2c spot with Geno moving to wing as he gets older and just be that 2-way beast that slots behind Sid as he and Geno start to really hand the torch over to Jake and a kid like him and Poulin.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Couple of Pens tidbits from latest Wheeler Q&A on Athletic -

Reckons Poulin is a LW at the next level up - has played plenty at RW, but doesn't think he's got the tools to stick there (particularly slapshot)

Thinks Hallander is fine post-break and could have a huge season next year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Reckons Poulin is a LW at the next level up - has played plenty at RW, but doesn't think he's got the tools to stick there (particularly slapshot)

That seems like a weird thing to criticize him for. Simon has an absolute muffin of a shot but he's still strong on RW.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Reckons Poulin is a LW at the next level up - has played plenty at RW, but doesn't think he's got the tools to stick there (particularly slapshot).
i'm still waiting for jake to get a shot.....there is no way a guy with a shot like his will ever score more than 15 goals a year. :confused:
edit; i gusse he did improve a little last year.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That seems like a weird thing to criticize him for. Simon has an absolute muffin of a shot but he's still strong on RW.

I guess Simon's more of an exception to the rule than the rule? I'm not au fait with every guy whose great on their off-hand wing in the NHL, but the received wisdom does seem to be the big advantage is cutting inside to use their shot and it's a disadvantage for sealing off walls/puck battles. Although I'm not sure how much that bothers Tanev either tho.

edit: just found a mildly interesting article on the subject - Why (Not) Play On Your Off-Wing? -

it makes sense Tanev likes his off-wing because his game is all about that sort of transition play and having the options that Duchene quote talks about. As for Simon - the fact he's often getting rid of it quickly means the reduced angles doesn't really bother him.

But a guy like Poulin, who will probably make plays through being good enough at all options that teams have to respect the options but maybe isn't as great if they know what's comin, and who's fast enough to make lots of great transition plays at junior but who mightn't at the next level up? I can buy it. Obviously I'm adding a lot to what Wheeler said, but it's an interesting thought anyway.

i'm still waiting for jake to get a shot.....there is no way a guy with a shot like his will ever score more than 15 goals a year. :confused:
edit; i gusse he did improve a little last year.

?

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I guess Simon's more of an exception to the rule than the rule? I'm not au fait with every guy whose great on their off-hand wing in the NHL, but the received wisdom does seem to be the big advantage is cutting inside to use their shot and it's a disadvantage for sealing off walls/puck battles. Although I'm not sure how much that bothers Tanev either tho.

?
opps! :sarcasm:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think playing the off-wing has more to do with skating and also being able to play pucks up the wall in the D-zone.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Just judging from how he's fared against men, Hallander might be a dark horse to make the Pens next year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just judging from how he's fared against men, Hallander might be a dark horse to make the Pens next year.

I don't even know how that'd work, tbh, what with Hallander already loaned to Lulea again for next season and their league likely starting a lot before the NHL. I don't think we can bring him to training camp to find out although maybe if he looks fantastic the first month in Sweden they change their minds although iirc there's a December cut-off on players coming from Europe to the NHL, right?

I also forgot one extra detail Wheeler said - that Hallander was on a very short list of Pens prospects who he thought were serious NHL prospects. I'm guessing that list is four strong, although I never got to ask.

edit: Also just noticed he thinks POJ is on the cusp of being an NHLer but doesn't think he'll be more than a depth guy though.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't even know how that'd work, tbh, what with Hallander already loaned to Lulea again for next season and their league likely starting a lot before the NHL. I don't think we can bring him to training camp to find out although maybe if he looks fantastic the first month in Sweden they change their minds although iirc there's a December cut-off on players coming from Europe to the NHL, right?

I also forgot one extra detail Wheeler said - that Hallander was on a very short list of Pens prospects who he thought were serious NHL prospects. I'm guessing that list is four strong, although I never got to ask.

edit: Also just noticed he thinks POJ is on the cusp of being an NHLer but doesn't think he'll be more than a depth guy though.

I'm curious to see what he means by "depth guy". Does that mean another Pettersson caliber guy? I agree with that. Does he mean like a Ruhwedel "depth" guy? I don't agree with that.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->