Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm assuming Rodin wouldn't have to sign an ELC as he signed one with Vancouver, I'm 99.9% sure he could be given a one-way deal as Matt Read got a one-way deal coming out of college to sign with the Flyers. Panarin would have to sign an ELC, possibly a 2 year one as he's 23.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Better sign and give a shot to a player like Rodin then sign a washed up Adams!!!

There are dozens of players in the SHL that I would rather have than Adams, but that doesn't mean the Pens have any interest in them. Even if the Penguins showed interest in signing a European FA I don't see why they would have any interest in signing with the Pens. If they don't click with Crosby/Malkin immediately they are either going to get sent down to WBS or put on the 4th line with whatever aging, useless, experienced players we sign this offseason.

Pesonen was hyped to all hell when we signed him and then he got sent down to WBS and only got 7 games in the NHL before being sent back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm assuming Rodin wouldn't have to sign an ELC as he signed one with Vancouver, I'm 99.9% sure he could be given a one-way deal as Matt Read got a one-way deal coming out of college to sign with the Flyers.

And there's always going to be the temptation to go back to destroying major cities with King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There are dozens of players in the SHL that I would rather have than Adams, but that doesn't mean the Pens have any interest in them. Even if the Penguins showed interest in signing a European FA I don't see why they would have any interest in signing with the Pens. If they don't click with Crosby/Malkin immediately they are either going to get sent down to WBS or put on the 4th line with whatever aging, useless, experienced players we sign this offseason.

Pesonen was hyped to all hell when we signed him and then he got sent down to WBS and only got 7 games in the NHL before being sent back.

Because Bylsma didn't like guys that couldn't "grind them *****es down" and Peso got shafted. He also just couldn't translate his talent at the NHL level.

Rodin is young, skates very well...worth a shot for 1yr at least.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
To nobody's surprise Skellefteå swept their 1st round opponent Brynäs. In the 4 games Oscar Sundqvist had 2 assists, 8 PIM and a +1. Anton Rödin led Brynäs with 4 goals.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Is Rodin even their property still? He's 24yrs old and was drafted 5yrs ago.

Edit: http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/5/28/4373686/anton-rodin-to-play-in-sweden-again

Seems like he's not their property anymore. Do your thing JR. The Wolves were horrible at development, it was run the way they wanted to, not to the benefit of developing future NHL'ers, they were in it for the Calder and nothing else. Rodin...he'd actually have a good shot in Pittsburgh I think.

He was released in 2013.

Open season!!!! Fill the damn cupboard with closer to NHL ready prospects, JR. If Lehtera is a late bloomer, so is this kid.

Apparently Rodin is still technically Canucks property because they qualified him before he went off to Sweden. What I'm still not sure of is when that expires.

Cool to see Rodin at least be a huge part of whatever offense Brynas could muster. He's definitely a talented player. I know any GM would say this but Gillis said way back when he drafted Rodin that his scouts felt that Rodin was a 1st round talent and that they were ecstatic to get him in the 2nd round (the Canucks' head Swedish scout - Thomas Gradin - is very good at what he does and probably our best scout so this carries some weight). He was a pretty good player for the Canucks' farm team but unfortunately he was just slowed by a really bad shoulder injury. After that, he was so much more hesitant to play in traffic and that's what limited his production.

At the end of the day, he went back to Sweden to resurrect his career somewhat and did a pretty good job of that. If he wants, I think he's ripe for another go-around in North America.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Rödin signed a 3 year extension with Brynäs earlier this month so he's likely not looking for another shot at the NHL right now.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
No news on us being interested in any FA prospects?

I know some of the NCAA players havent been knocked out yet and thus cant be signed. But there are signings every day of either college FAs or junior players. And i doubt those teams that sign them have worse prospect depth than we do.

We really need to be on top of this market this year seeing how many picks we lack.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No news on us being interested in any FA prospects?

I know some of the NCAA players havent been knocked out yet and thus cant be signed. But there are signings every day of either college FAs or junior players. And i doubt those teams that sign them have worse prospect depth than we do.

We really need to be on top of this market this year seeing how many picks we lack.

Only thing i've seen is Edmonton or someone being interested in a D and Toronto on a G. Nothings really heating up on that front yet.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Only thing i've seen is Edmonton or someone being interested in a D and Toronto on a G. Nothings really heating up on that front yet.

Yeah, it just kinda happens. NCAA kids aren't even really allowed to listen to offers without violating rules, I think. I'm not sure who we'll sign but I'm sure we'll be as active as in past years.. maybe not landing the upper echelon kids that can demand an instant NHL job, but those 2nd tier guys like Letestu and Lovejoy are a possibility.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The demands and preferences of NCAA free agents are usually quite specific. They're very picky. For most of these players, it's the first and only time NHL teams are going to be fighting for their services so it makes sense on their end.

Morrison is an Albertan and signed with Calgary. He was supposed to be in deep with Edmonton but they flubbed it, I guess.

Casey Bailey plays at Penn State where Terry Pegula is a big booster, and he's probably been in his ear for months. Not to mention he could easily walk on to Buffalo's top line at the moment.

For others, their age can determine big bonuses and cap numbers and one way deals. Guarantees of icetime and NHL duty burning through ELC years matter. And you know that young people love New York City.

The point: It's a stab in the dark. And 'top' guys don't pan out that often anyway, we got nothing out of Thompson, Thiessen and Hartzell who each had profile, but as Jacob points out, hit paydirt with Letestu and Lovejoy who had none, and found some moderate success with Gibbons and Megna also.

We do the best we can in this area, such as getting creative with the framing of Hartzell's deal making him an RFA that summer, and it's not a talent source we ignore. Still won't stop people sulking when certain players won't sign here.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Apparently Rodin is still technically Canucks property because they qualified him before he went off to Sweden. What I'm still not sure of is when that expires.

Cool to see Rodin at least be a huge part of whatever offense Brynas could muster. He's definitely a talented player. I know any GM would say this but Gillis said way back when he drafted Rodin that his scouts felt that Rodin was a 1st round talent and that they were ecstatic to get him in the 2nd round (the Canucks' head Swedish scout - Thomas Gradin - is very good at what he does and probably our best scout so this carries some weight). He was a pretty good player for the Canucks' farm team but unfortunately he was just slowed by a really bad shoulder injury. After that, he was so much more hesitant to play in traffic and that's what limited his production.

At the end of the day, he went back to Sweden to resurrect his career somewhat and did a pretty good job of that. If he wants, I think he's ripe for another go-around in North America.

Technically, show me some proof of this "qualified him" bit. Because I see it nowhere besides him being released in 2013. When you're released, you're not any teams property, so what were they qualifying? His jock?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
KK might be in WBS sooner rather than later, KalPa are now 0 - 2 in their matchup against Lukko. They haven't scored a goal yet even though they've outshot Lukko heavily in both matches. :|

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
KK might be in WBS sooner rather than later, KalPa are now 0 - 2 in their matchup against Lukko. They haven't scored a goal yet even though they've outshot Lukko heavily in both matches. :|

Awesome, I look forward to watching him play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

They're just preparing Kasperi for life as a Penguin.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
They're just preparing Kasperi for life as a Penguin.

Their goalie (Andy Chiodo, who I vaguely recall was a Pens prospect years ago) has let in 6 goals on about 25 shots over the two games. There's also score effects though, they went down by 2 early in both games, I imagine the other team just sat back the rest of the way.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The demands and preferences of NCAA free agents are usually quite specific. They're very picky. For most of these players, it's the first and only time NHL teams are going to be fighting for their services so it makes sense on their end.

Morrison is an Albertan and signed with Calgary. He was supposed to be in deep with Edmonton but they flubbed it, I guess.

Casey Bailey plays at Penn State where Terry Pegula is a big booster, and he's probably been in his ear for months. Not to mention he could easily walk on to Buffalo's top line at the moment.

For others, their age can determine big bonuses and cap numbers and one way deals. Guarantees of icetime and NHL duty burning through ELC years matter. And you know that young people love New York City.

The point: It's a stab in the dark. And 'top' guys don't pan out that often anyway, we got nothing out of Thompson, Thiessen and Hartzell who each had profile, but as Jacob points out, hit paydirt with Letestu and Lovejoy who had none, and found some moderate success with Gibbons and Megna also.

We do the best we can in this area, such as getting creative with the framing of Hartzell's deal making him an RFA that summer, and it's not a talent source we ignore. Still won't stop people sulking when certain players won't sign here.

Casey Bailey signs with Toronto, not surprising as he can play on their NHL roster straight away.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Casey Bailey signs with Toronto, not surprising as he can play on their NHL roster straight away.

Oksanen is the guy I'm hoping for, but whatever. Having him and Sundqvist in the bottom six could really start shaping this team into the kind of big bodied roster they need to grind teams down.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oksanen is the guy I'm hoping for, but whatever. Having him and Sundqvist in the bottom six could really start shaping this team into the kind of big bodied roster they need to grind teams down.

I'm still not unconvinced that Sundqvist's biggest impact on this team this/next year wouldn't be on Malkin's LW. Our bottom six desperately needs him. Malkin may need him more (since we know the best option for his LW only plays L2 when Malkin is out).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm still not unconvinced that Sundqvist's biggest impact on this team this/next year wouldn't be on Malkin's LW. Our bottom six desperately needs him. Malkin may need him more (since we know the best option for his LW only plays L2 when Malkin is out).

Sorry. Lacks experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad