Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Haha.....just wanna mention Robbie Brown for a second. As he seems to get mentioned a lot here and labeled as mainly as a product of Mario Lemieux. Yeah, he was a goal leach, but he worked well with Mario cause he was very skilled. Brownie's issues were skating and a poor worth ethic. Which hurt his career, because he didnt apply himself enough early in his career, as he just relied on talent, and he had plenty of it. But he worked very well with Mario because of his high hockey iq and skill.

Robbie tore up the WHL during his time there. He lead the league in scoring as a 17 year old, and an 18 year old. Not that Jr. scoring champions meaning anything, but it does show he could produce.

In '86-87 he lead the WHL with 212 points. Next closest was 146, and his closest teammate was at 123 points. That's quite the gap. He didn't go early in the draft because it looked like he was skating in quicksand. But he definitely had skill. A guy like Warren Young, now that was someone that was simply a product of Mario Lemieux.

I was so young when he was a Pen during his first stint. I just recall his windmill celebrations and I think Hextall tried to kill him a few times. I mostly remember being jealous he was dating Alyssa Milano. How did the Pens get him? Was he on the Jacks?

I do remember Stevens first game, but I was listening to it on the radio. Lange was raving about him and until then, I had no idea what a farm was, except they grew vegetables, not hockey players. That started drumming up my interests in the Jacks though.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I was so young when he was a Pen during his first stint. I just recall his windmill celebrations and I think Hextall tried to kill him a few times. I mostly remember being jealous he was dating Alyssa Milano. How did the Pens get him? Was he on the Jacks?

I do remember Stevens first game, but I was listening to it on the radio. Lange was raving about him and until then, I had no idea what a farm was, except they grew vegetables, not hockey players. That started drumming up my interests in the Jacks though.

Went 67th overall, Pens 4th rounder. iirc, his dad was a pens scout, which I believe is why we took him at that stage of the draft.

Nope, Brownie made the team out of camp, and didn't go the farm route. Part of his poor work ethic imo, was things coming to easy for him right away in the nhl. Playing well and lighting it up with Mario right away. I remember going to training camp after his second year, and watching him put in minimal effort during it.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Brown apparently made the team fresh out of juniors through Pierre Creamer's idiocy. Creamer called him into his office after camp and told him "We think you're our sixth center, so we're sending you back to juniors". Brown said, "Uhh, I can't go back, I'm too old..." So Creamer says "Oh? Okay then, you can stay."

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
That's hilarious. Maybe Despres should have tried to convince JR that he's actually 33 not 23.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Haha.....just wanna mention Robbie Brown for a second. As he seems to get mentioned a lot here and labeled as mainly as a product of Mario Lemieux. Yeah, he was a goal leach, but he worked well with Mario cause he was very skilled. Brownie's issues were skating and a poor worth ethic. Which hurt his career, because he didnt apply himself enough early in his career, as he just relied on talent, and he had plenty of it. But he worked very well with Mario because of his high hockey iq and skill.

Robbie tore up the WHL during his time there. He lead the league in scoring as a 17 year old, and an 18 year old. Not that Jr. scoring champions meaning anything, but it does show he could produce.

In '86-87 he lead the WHL with 212 points. Next closest was 146, and his closest teammate was at 123 points. That's quite the gap. He didn't go early in the draft because it looked like he was skating in quicksand. But he definitely had skill. A guy like Warren Young, now that was someone that was simply a product of Mario Lemieux.

well put, he could definitely shoot the puck

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Brown apparently made the team fresh out of juniors through Pierre Creamer's idiocy. Creamer called him into his office after camp and told him "We think you're our sixth center, so we're sending you back to juniors". Brown said, "Uhh, I can't go back, I'm too old..." So Creamer says "Oh? Okay then, you can stay."

I always liked the story about how the team had a bad practice, so Creamer told them in his broken English "everyone go back and make bicycle." The players decided to take it literally, so they drew a bicycle on the chalkboard and left.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Went 67th overall, Pens 4th rounder. iirc, his dad was a pens scout, which I believe is why we took him at that stage of the draft.

Nope, Brownie made the team out of camp, and didn't go the farm route. Part of his poor work ethic imo, was things coming to easy for him right away in the nhl. Playing well and lighting it up with Mario right away. I remember going to training camp after his second year, and watching him put in minimal effort during it.

I remember him being drafted because of his numbers and because he played for Kamloops and I thought the name of the place was cool. He was definitely skilled unlike Warren Young, Terry Ruskowski, etc. But yeah, it was soon pretty apparent why he lasted until the 4th round despite his stupid stats. I don't know if there were options available at the time to improve his skating, and I doubt he would have taken advantage of them if they were around. But he was definitely entertaining.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I remember him being drafted because of his numbers and because he played for Kamloops and I thought the name of the place was cool. He was definitely skilled unlike Warren Young, Terry Ruskowski, etc. But yeah, it was soon pretty apparent why he lasted until the 4th round despite his stupid stats. I don't know if there were options available at the time to improve his skating, and I doubt he would have taken advantage of them if they were around. But he was definitely entertaining.

I remember when I was little and I started reading about all of these Jr Canadian teams when I first started to play and where some of the players were from... Owen Sound, Thunder Bay, Swift Current, Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw, Red Deer... The names always fascinated me.

I always thought they were these mythical places when I was a kid. Its funny because about five years ago I was vacationing near the Bruce Peninsula and realized Owen Sound was right on the backdoor.

So I took a drive there with my wife and it was just a little town and not how I pictured it in my mind as a kid. I'm not sure what I was expecting to be totally honest though.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Flin Flon took on a near-mythic status during the Flyers' golden years.

I actually traveled through Owen Sound a few years back while doing a short stint in Toronto. Nice setting, but it looked like it had seen better days. And yeah, it wasn't like I pictured it either.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
So Teddy Blueger and Jake Guentzel will be our only prospects in the NCAA Tournament. Minnesota State made it as WCHA champions. Omaha got one of the at-large slots for finishing 3rd in the NCHC, after being upset in the 1st round by St. Cloud. Both teams have a decent chance of winning their first round matchup (against Atlantic Hockey champs R.I.T. and ECAC champs Harvard, respectively), and if they do they will meet in the 2nd round. The winner would then go on to the Frozen Four in Boston.

Jeff Taylor (Union) had his season ended by Quinnipiac in a close 2nd round series in the ECAC. All of our other college prospects lost in the 1st round. Boston University goalie Sean Maguire (injury) and Michigan Tech defenseman Dane Birks (academic redshirt or something) did not dress for a single game all season. On another Pittsburgh-related note, Robert Morris dominated the regular Atlantic Hockey season but lost in the playoff semi-finals to R.I.T.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Teddy Blueger and Jake Guentzel will be our only prospects in the NCAA Tournament. Minnesota State made it as WCHA champions. Omaha got one of the at-large slots for finishing 3rd in the NCHC, after being upset in the 1st round by St. Cloud. Both teams have a decent chance of winning their first round matchup (against Atlantic Hockey champs R.I.T. and ECAC champs Harvard, respectively), and if they do they will meet in the 2nd round. The winner would then go on to the Frozen Four in Boston.

Jeff Taylor (Union) had his season ended by Quinnipiac in a close 2nd round series in the ECAC. All of our other college prospects lost in the 1st round. Boston University goalie Sean Maguire (injury) and Michigan Tech defenseman Dane Birks (academic redshirt or something) did not dress for a single game all season. On another Pittsburgh-related note, Robert Morris dominated the regular Atlantic Hockey season but lost in the playoff semi-finals to R.I.T.

Not sure how that works for Maguire and Birks. To sit an entire season...just seems like a massive waste. Horrible for their future in the pro's.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hope Jarry wins tonight, don't really expect them to go past the 1st round though. That's fine though, he will go to the AHL then and play a few games, maybe even backup in the playoffs.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

She dated Rob Brown, too? Man, she got around. Wayne McBean in hockey, Barry Zito and Carl Pavano in baseball. She liked jocks, that's for sure.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Where is our NCAA signing? Or KHL signing? Don't teams that trade a bunch of picks try to compensate with 22-year-old free agent signings to help off-set the loss of young assets?

Somebody wake good 'ol JR up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->