Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Do you think Matt Murray will back up MAF next year? The best in the AHL.

It will most likely be a battle in camp with Zatkoff and him. Unless the brass feels they need a veteran to back up Fleury and want to keep Greiss (oh **** no son) or get someone else. Pens can get with the times and give the kid a shot if he impresses or they can get a veteran and roll with that another year. A lot of teams are ok with giving a rookie a back-up job.

Andersen is fantastic in Anaheim, but Gibson is up too and it's not hurting his potential any to be up. Holtby was up with Neuvirth, and so on. It'd be nice to see the Pens actually be one of those teams that actually promotes from within and gives their prospects a chance. That's how to attract people to the team, that's how you show that you know what, we like what we're doing with our development and trust them down in WBS to do a good job.

Rust was fantastic when he was up, I hope Archibald and Wilson have more of a shot too. Hell I wouldn't even mind seeing Marcantuoni audition for a 4th line job next year to be a speedy checker.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Having Murray sit on the bench 65 games of the year would be insanely stupid. If he grabs the job because of an injury, fine, that means he's earned it, but you don't go into the season with that expectation. I have somewhat high hopes for Murray, but giving him a hat and a seat at the end of the bench 4 out of 5 games isn't the way to develop a prospect. Stealing playing time from Michal Neuvirth doesn't mean anything, Fleury's problems haven't been in the regular season so it's hard to see a 21 year-old pushing him to the bench...that and Holtby played a combined 44 games between the AHL and NHL that year.

We'll sign another journeyman on a cheap one-year deal.

Rust absolutely should start the season on the 4th line, though.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
No. He needs minutes in the AHL.
Agree, I think another year to consolidate his game in the AHL will be good for him. My question is if Jarry will be brought to the AHL as a backup or will he stay in the WHL for another year, I think he is still eligible as a 20 year overage.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Agree, I think another year to consolidate his game in the AHL will be good for him. My question is if Jarry will be brought to the AHL as a backup or will he stay in the WHL for another year, I think he is still eligible as a 20 year overage.

The WHL is not a bad thing considering how much of a challenge it is for him to hold the fort on a depleted team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I really, really hope Sundqvist makes the team next year. We desperately need a young player with size, skill, and some grit in the lineup. He will be a huge breath of fresh air IMO.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I really, really hope Sundqvist makes the team next year. We desperately need a young player with size, skill, and some grit in the lineup. He will be a huge breath of fresh air IMO.

Ya but that doesn't make sense in this organization, I mean we could trade Sundqvist for a much more proven player in the NHL, someone like I don't know a Craig Adams!!!

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Sorry to butt in here, but if you've been following the series can I get your thoughts on Anton Rodin, Bill Sweatt and Pathrik Westerholm, all of Brynas IF?

Rödin has been the best player for Brynäs by far. He's scored a goal in every game so far and is pretty much the only reason that Brynäs have even come close to winning a game. He's noticeable every time he's on the ice in both ends.

Sweatt played on the top line for the first two games. He had a couple good chances but never scored. I think he hit the post once too on a powerplay (I could be making that up though). He's a good complimentary player, but doesn't have the skill to carry a line like Rödin does (his points are always from skating and working hard).

The Westerholm twins have been alright. They are playing on the 4th line I believe. They get more ice time than NHL 4th liners, but I know they've been on the ice for a couple Skellefteå goals so far. Both Pathrik and Ponthus are long shots to be anything more than career SHLers. Though Pathrik is a better player than his brother, so he may have a chance.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Rödin has been the best player for Brynäs by far. He's scored a goal in every game so far and is pretty much the only reason that Brynäs have even come close to winning a game. He's noticeable every time he's on the ice in both ends.

Sweatt played on the top line for the first two games. He had a couple good chances but never scored. I think he hit the post once too on a powerplay (I could be making that up though). He's a good complimentary player, but doesn't have the skill to carry a line like Rödin does (his points are always from skating and working hard).

The Westerholm twins have been alright. They are playing on the 4th line I believe. They get more ice time than NHL 4th liners, but I know they've been on the ice for a couple Skellefteå goals so far. Both Pathrik and Ponthus are long shots to be anything more than career SHLers. Though Pathrik is a better player than his brother, so he may have a chance.

Thanks very much for this! Again, sorry for the butt-in Penguins fans. As you were. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is Rodin even their property still? He's 24yrs old and was drafted 5yrs ago.

Edit: http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/5/28/4373686/anton-rodin-to-play-in-sweden-again

Seems like he's not their property anymore. Do your thing JR. The Wolves were horrible at development, it was run the way they wanted to, not to the benefit of developing future NHL'ers, they were in it for the Calder and nothing else. Rodin...he'd actually have a good shot in Pittsburgh I think.

He was released in 2013.

Open season!!!! Fill the damn cupboard with closer to NHL ready prospects, JR. If Lehtera is a late bloomer, so is this kid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seriously though...

If JR signed any two of - Bailey, Panarin, and Rodin this summer. I'd be a happy camper.

Or...all 3.

Be greedy JR, be greedy. God damn it, BE GREEDY and get all 3.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
The problem with signing a guy like Rödin is that he is probably going to want a guaranteed NHL roster spot. If I was him there is no way I would sign a contract to play in the AHL with a shot to make the NHL. He's got a top line spot in the SHL and I don't think the Pens are in any spot to guarantee him playing time in the NHL.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The problem with signing a guy like Rödin is that he is probably going to want a guaranteed NHL roster spot. If I was him there is no way I would sign a contract to play in the AHL with a shot to make the NHL. He's got a top line spot in the SHL and I don't think the Pens are in any spot to guarantee him playing time in the NHL.

Better sign and give a shot to a player like Rodin then sign a washed up Adams!!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure how it works. Would he (or Panarin for that matter) have to sign an ELC? Or would it be a one-way deal.

You can make all the guarantees you want but at the end of the day if you give someone a 5-8 game stint to start the season and he's playing terrible you can cut ties or send them to the AHL. My main concern would be whether or not they're still counting against the cap when that happens. If there's no risk of that I'd promise them the world. If they can't cut it in the NHL they're breaking their promise just as much as we would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad