Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Great thread title.

In the last couple of pages of the old thread, there was talk about Blueger, and it's encouraging to see that he's finally putting up numbers that seem commensurate with his skill level. Does anyone know, or can anyone elaborate, on why Blueger has been disappointing the last few years, and what he's doing now that's making him a much more productive player? Is it between the ears? Conditioning? etc.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Boocock said:
It'll make letting go of Sutter easier. Beyond that, can't Blueger play the wing as well?

I believe I've only ever seen him listed as center. However, Guentzel usually plays LW, and Sundqvist often plays RW for Skellefteå.

Jacob said:
Look at Jeff Taylor. Why did he fall so low? Average size? Not physical? At a program that doesn't traditionally develop NHLers? Who cares, he's productive.

Size probably but especially age. Taylor was drafted as a 20 year old only after winning back to back USHL and NCAA championships on two strong teams. Looks like he wasn't on anybody else's radar before he paired with Gostisbehere at Union. I don't think he's a need but could turn out a great value pick. I was hoping for Edgars Kulda but he went to Arizona ten spots before our 7th round turn.

Jacob said:
Birks seems pretty limited in skillset. If you're a d-man that is neither offensive nor physical, what did our scouts see in him?

Intriguing combination of size and skating ability from what I've read. But if he's the odd freshman out on a small-time program like Michigan Tech that doesn't bode well for his future. At least we didn't spend a 2nd rounder on him like we did with Sneep.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Intriguing combination of size and skating ability from what I've read. But if he's the odd freshman out on a small-time program like Michigan Tech that doesn't bode well for his future. At least we didn't spend a 2nd rounder on him like we did with Sneep.

Yes, but when we've traded as many picks as we have over the last few years, and including the first two picks of that draft, it doesn't seem like that's a risk worth taking. It still doesn't make sense to me, and I'm glad Shero's gone. Our team's record of trading away high picks and missing in the draft (i.e. Morrow, everyone in 2008, everyone besides Despres in 2009, and others) is the very reason why we're in this position where we so badly need a winger and don't have anyone in our prospect pool besides BB and KK who has first line upside. This "trend" needs to change in the most significant way if we want to be a deep and great team, particularly once Crosby & Malkin start to decline.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Blueger got a mention in THN's Prospect Hot List:

Teddy Blueger, C – Minnesota State-Mankato Mavericks (WCHA)

The Latvian national notched his first college hat trick on the weekend in a win over Bemidji State, popping in two from the point on the power play and getting a greasy one in tight. Blueger brings a nice combination of skill and grit to the Mavs and has 10 points in 10 games. Drafted 52nd overall by Pittsburgh in 2012.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/n...erkley-is-making-a-statement-on-the-hot-list/

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
From the old thread.
Boocock said:
It'll make letting go of Sutter easier. Beyond that, can't Blueger play the wing as well?
I thought he did some in his freshman year, but I can't say for certain. Lately he's been exclusively a center at even strength and shorthanded and at the point on the PP.

Does anyone know, or can anyone elaborate, on why Blueger has been disappointing the last few years, and what he's doing now that's making him a much more productive player? Is it between the ears? Conditioning? etc.
IMO, he was disappointing in earlier years because his wasn't using his abilities right. He has more skill than most college players, but it isn't good enough to be successful on skill alone. To me he just didn't play the type of game college hockey requires--it's not always pretty. He didn't get into the dirty areas of the forecheck. He didn't get into the tough positions in front of the net to score. Now he's doing that at both ends of the ice, and the skill is still there to produce. And before he didn't have confidence. You could see it. He knew he wouldn't score on a chance and didn't. That's all changed.

So long answer short, I think it was all between the ears.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man...Joe was supposed to be the one, the guy that would make us forget the what if's with Kevin Stevens if he didn't break his face and get knocked the **** out. I think this is the year smooth skating Eric Lind makes his mark on defense, his mom was a figure skater you know.

Robert Dome is showing a lot of promise too.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I missed the game but Jarry played in the Super Series game against Russia last night. Not a good one as he let in 3 goals on 18 shots, losing 3-2.

Comrie didn't fair too well either letting in 2 goals on 15 shots the night earlier, losing 3-2 in a 10 or 11 round shootout.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I missed the game but Jarry played in the Super Series game against Russia last night. Not a good one as he let in 3 goals on 18 shots, losing 3-2.

Comrie didn't fair too well either letting in 2 goals on 15 shots the night earlier, losing 3-2 in a 10 or 11 round shootout.

What a bust.

It's ok, I have a great feeling with Craig Hillier and Philippe DeRouville in the pipeline as well.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Sundqvist scored a PP goal to tie the game in the Championsleague tournament yesterday, and then scored in the shootout. Skelleftea won the game and is now in the quarterfinal.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
Re: Drafting unskilled defensemen from the old thread.

I think the reason they're drafted is that it's hard at age 17/18 to tell the guys that end up being successful defensive defensemen from guys that are going to be career ECHLers. There's just a very small difference in ability at that point.

Here's 4 defenseman you're all familiar with:

1st 2 years at Boston College:
61 GP, 5 g, 25 a, 108 PIM
82 GP, 4 g, 21 a, 23 PIM
79 GP, 2 g, 19 a, 200 PIM
83 GP, 2 g, 32 a, 32 PIM

Even 3 years later they don't look all that dissimilar:
5 NHL GP, 64 AHL GP, 3 g, 19 a, 66 PIM
61 AHL GP, 4 g, 13 a, 39 PIM
6 NHL GP, 71 AHL GP, 2 g, 18 a, 105 PIM
75 AHL GP, 1 g, 22 a, 66 PIM

No one's going to know if Dane Birks is any good for another 3-4 years. Now if you want to say being a redshirt is a bad idea compared to playing a year in the USHL, you may be onto something.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Penguins prospect Anthony Angello chosen to represent the U.S. at the 2014 World Junior A Challenge

Penguins prospect forward Anthony Angello, whom Pittsburgh chose in the fifth round (145th overall) of the 2014 NHL Draft, was selected today to represent the United States at the World Junior A Challenge in December.

The tournament runs Dec. 14-20 in Kindersley, Saskatchewan. The U.S. has won five of the last six tournaments (2008-10, 2012-13).

Angello, 18, plays for the Omaha Lancers of the United States Hockey League (USHL), where he has three goals and four points in 12 games this season.

Last year, the 6-foot-4, 197-pound Angello had 11 goals and 21 points in 58 games as a rookie with the Lancers.

Angello is committed to play college hockey at Cornell.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It would be nice if Guentzel and/or Blueger turned into something. We need some more of our few 2nd and 3rd rounders to turn into something.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think he's about on par with Rust or Wilson.

Blueger and Guentzel may be our most skilled prospects behind KK though. Those two are more straight line. There's something about a long shot, skilled prospect....

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think he's about on par with Rust or Wilson.

Blueger and Guentzel may be our most skilled prospects behind KK though. Those two are more straight line. There's something about a long shot, skilled prospect....

Blueger, at least for now, is behind those other 3. Guentzel produced A LOT right from his freshman year, and has continued that this year. He's got great skills and could be something special.

Rust and Wilson are producing well already at the pro level. Blueger could re-establish himself as a very good prospect if he keeps this up all year, but he's not quite there yet.

I think he's got more of a boom or bust thing about him.

Well...maybe not. Blueger, aside from his high-end skills, is lauded for his hockey sense and two-way/defensive play. So, he could be a guy who may be a very valuable player, even if he doesn't end up producing a lot of offense. Marcel Goc could be a great comparable; although of course we hope the offense will emerge from Teddy.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
No one's going to know if Dane Birks is any good for another 3-4 years. Now if you want to say being a redshirt is a bad idea compared to playing a year in the USHL, you may be onto something.

That was the point, though. The four players you listed regularly played as freshmen for Boston College, arguably the top college program in the nation over the last ten years. When we drafted Nick D'Agostino out of Jr. A at least he immediately became a top 4 guy for Cornell. Birks basically is a scratch on Michigan Tech, a no-name program in the watered down new WCHA. He was already drafted as a long shot but if he stays inactive for a whole season he'll end up really far behind the curve. Birks will likely turn 24 before ever playing a pro game. Shero could've picked some forward prospect from major juniors instead and we'd know much earlier what we'll get out of it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wasn't Birks one of the guys they drafted because they thought he could be a "denter?"

That was my favorite latter-day Shero-era rationalization for picking up extremely limited defensemen either via draft or trade. I mean... it's not like a 6th rounder is likely to do much, regardless but when you already have a sea of defensemen of just about every ilk, I suppose it would behoove you to invent buzzwords to help defend your laziness and lack of ideas.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
IIRC the denters were Seymour and Ruopp, back at the 2012 draft when they were acquired. Birks was described as "physical in his own way" which doesn't sound like a tough hitter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad