OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That would require them to actually see his concerns as being valid. The fact they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with the roster construction, and that all issues stem from core players not buying in, suggests they think his concerns are nonsense to begin with.

Oh for sure. I was being an ass and illustrating that this team's approach to communication seems to be playing telephone through other parties and whisper campaigns.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That would require them to actually see his concerns as being valid. The fact they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with the roster construction, and that all issues stem from core players not buying in, suggests they think his concerns are nonsense to begin with.
best defense ever

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
That would require them to actually see his concerns as being valid.

It really doesn’t.
Would merely require an active act of journalism. Asking questions of primary sources and getting different perspectives on issues of interest... and all that.

... oh, you’re sensibly talking about management.
Carry on then.

Last edited:

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Here's the key quote from the article:

"This is what happened this season, I believe. Malkin didn’t see a championship-caliber roster and started to freelance. When he was 22, he could pull it off. He’s almost 33 now, though, and the results this season were decidedly less impressive."

He goes into "**** it" mode when **** doesn't jive.
I’d probably go into f*** it mode as well if I had a carousel of line mates every game.

It seems like a remarkable lack of self-awareness that they basically openly admit that Malkin (and Kessel and probably Letang, too) is not buying in, and the response is to plant trade rumors instead of looking into the mirror.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Five years ago, DK was in my opinion among the best voices in Pittsburgh sports media. Not sure what happened to the guy since, but the past few days of listening to him on Madden made my stomach turn.

He frames a discussion to where his opinion is the only reasonable one to be had. One day he was talking about the Archer trade and he states as a fact, "everyone should have been on board with the trade, since the Pirates were finally going for it" as justification for the terrible trade. Uh, no. There were plenty of voices that I read and had at the time that offered that the Pirates were not "contenders", were not "going for it" and in fact making a devastating trade for phony PR (which they got). But in DK's world, that's not a valid stance to have had, so he was not wrong with his opinion.

The very next day when discussing why fans are staying away from ballparks, he sites a survey as a FACT and states as Fact that the cost has nothing to do with the results of declining attendance. Then over half of the callers first suggest that uh... yea, the cost is a huge reason. DK belittles and discounts all of their opinions and goes back to that random survey as fact. I thought about calling and sharing my opinion, but realized he wasn't open to understanding a differing opinion. I have attended sporting events my entire life, but over the past 5 years have cut back to almost zero attendance. Why? Value. I can afford the cost, that's not the issue. But at the end of any purchase I always look back at the value of how I spend any dollar. It's not the cost of the tickets, although some are quite overpriced, rather the other costs associated with that ticket that push me over the edge. I ordered a round of beers (4) at a Canes game in Raleigh and I spent nearly $60 with tip. uh... Once again at the end of the night, I looked back at the over $250 I spent to watch a "meh" mid season hockey game and I didn't see the value. That' there, that's never going away, the thought that I overspent on evening of entertainment. When the Pens came back to Raleigh this year and I was offered the same tickets, I passed.

But to DK, over and over he scolded callers for their opinion that the cost was a huge factor in them not going to sporting events. What a terrible personality flaw to have, arrogance combined with ignorance.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Five years ago, DK was in my opinion among the best voices in Pittsburgh sports media. Not sure what happened to the guy since, but the past few days of listening to him on Madden made my stomach turn.

I said this the other day that six years ago the guy was a demi-god and now he's largely a laughing stock. Amazing how he's fallen because his ego cashed checks he actually couldn't write.

I ordered a round of beers (4) at a Canes game in Raleigh and I spent nearly $60 with tip. uh... Once again at the end of the night, I looked back at the over $250 I spent to watch a "meh" mid season hockey game and I didn't see the value. That' there, that's never going away, the thought that I overspent on evening of entertainment. When the Pens came back to Raleigh this year and I was offered the same tickets, I passed.

This was the first year I hadn't gone to Raleigh for a Pens game in some years. I did get a chance to see them in Pittsburgh in October but I usually have those games circled and well aware. This year they came and went without me blinking an eye. I'm glad the Canes are seeing success again but it does make my long for the days of $7 upper bowl seats. Made the four hour trip far more palatable.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
"I don't think you read your mentions anymore unless you follow them which is... quite smart on your part" -Yohe to Madden. Ooooook.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
I don't think anyone really liked DK at any point. He got some pats on the back here at one point because he went renegade against Bylsma and Shero near the end of their tenure I think? Then he had that interview with Mario. So aside from that one summer, I don't think anyone really cared much about him.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think anyone really liked DK at any point. He got some pats on the back here at one point because he went renegade against Bylsma and Shero near the end of their tenure I think? Then he had that interview with Mario. So aside from that one summer, I don't think anyone really cared much about him.

He benefited because the rest of Pittsburgh sports media is just that bad and were all universally sticking up for Shero and Disco up until the bitter end. To be clear... so was DK even just weeks before the pink slips hit... he just flipped faster than the rest and got his Mario interview.

It wasn't like DK was some brave rebel going against the grain and banging the "Shero/Disco are bad for this team" drum years before.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He benefited because the rest of Pittsburgh sports media is just that bad and were all universally sticking up for Shero and Disco up until the bitter end. To be clear... so was DK even just weeks before the pink slips hit... he just flipped faster than the rest and got his Mario interview.

It wasn't like DK was some brave rebel going against the grain and banging the "Shero/Disco are bad for this team" drum years before.

Frankly, they're all lapdogs towing the party lines for the Pens (and the Steelers).

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016

2 legends. The Pompeani name in Pittsburgh is royalty - even though I think one of his daughters got married and Celina is dating some stud finance guy, so not sure how long the name will live on (damn it, Bruce!)

Jason Mackey moving to the Pirates beat on the PG - weird move. But if that’s what he wants.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

He frames a discussion to where his opinion is the only reasonable one to be had. One day he was talking about the Archer trade and he states as a fact, "everyone should have been on board with the trade, since the Pirates were finally going for it" as justification for the terrible trade. Uh, no. There were plenty of voices that I read and had at the time that offered that the Pirates were not "contenders", were not "going for it" and in fact making a devastating trade for phony PR (which they got). But in DK's world, that's not a valid stance to have had, so he was not wrong with his opinion.

The very next day when discussing why fans are staying away from ballparks, he sites a survey as a FACT and states as Fact that the cost has nothing to do with the results of declining attendance. Then over half of the callers first suggest that uh... yea, the cost is a huge reason. DK belittles and discounts all of their opinions and goes back to that random survey as fact. I thought about calling and sharing my opinion, but realized he wasn't open to understanding a differing opinion. I have attended sporting events my entire life, but over the past 5 years have cut back to almost zero attendance. Why? Value. I can afford the cost, that's not the issue. But at the end of any purchase I always look back at the value of how I spend any dollar. It's not the cost of the tickets, although some are quite overpriced, rather the other costs associated with that ticket that push me over the edge. I ordered a round of beers (4) at a Canes game in Raleigh and I spent nearly $60 with tip. uh... Once again at the end of the night, I looked back at the over $250 I spent to watch a "meh" mid season hockey game and I didn't see the value. That' there, that's never going away, the thought that I overspent on evening of entertainment. When the Pens came back to Raleigh this year and I was offered the same tickets, I passed.

But to DK, over and over he scolded callers for their opinion that the cost was a huge factor in them not going to sporting events. What a terrible personality flaw to have, arrogance combined with ignorance.

The last time I heard DK anywhere, he was on Madden mocking Jason Mackey and Josh Yohe as if they were the most-primitive form of protozoa for both reporting that (guy whose name I forget) was going to be a healthy scratch. 3 hours later, the guy they said would be scratched was, in fact, scratched.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I would like Mark Madden more if he didn't get sucked into absolutely every tweet someone posts that he disagrees with. Case in point:

It smacks of insecurity.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
The last time I heard DK anywhere, he was on Madden mocking Jason Mackey and Josh Yohe as if they were the most-primitive form of protozoa for both reporting that (guy whose name I forget) was going to be a healthy scratch. 3 hours later, the guy they said would be scratched was, in fact, scratched.
Hah, yeah think it was Dumo. I think that’s what I was referencing in a previous post actually - his tone was ridiculous and Madden was just like “oh just because it’s not on your site doesn’t mean it’s not true” or something to that effect... and now Chris Bradford is OUT!

As for Madden, he was going on some ridiculous rants yesterday. Like I get the schtick and all, but for him to act like he is ignoring “all the marks”/“the hoi polloi” on Twitter who he claims he doesn’t follow so doesn’t see their tweets, but then rant about their opinions... not fooling us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm still wrapping my head around Rossi being a guy we like now.
I would like Mark Madden more if he didn't get sucked into absolutely every tweet someone posts that he disagrees with. Case in point:

It smacks of insecurity.

Baiting him is no fun if he falls for it every time, the exact way you want him to.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man, I had no idea Joe Vitale was really a knock-off Ryan Reynolds
If you shave Joe's head, he looks like Ryan Reynolds in his Wade Wilson grotesque make-up.

PM8AxJH.jpg

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

It smacks of insecurity.

Twitter is semi-good for dog pictures, but literally everything else degenerates into poison. Deleted it six weeks ago and haven't missed it for a minute. Something about it just brings out the worst in people or else it just amplifies the worst people.

Social media seems to be like that broadly, but for whatever reason (the brevity?) twitter is miles more destructive than other social media (which I'm also weaning off of, as well).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Hah, yeah think it was Dumo. I think that’s what I was referencing in a previous post actually - his tone was ridiculous and Madden was just like “oh just because it’s not on your site doesn’t mean it’s not true” or something to that effect... and now Chris Bradford is OUT!

I don't know who Chris Bradford is, but that DK/Madden interview was bizarre enough that I'll never forget it.

"OOOOOH, so because two LOSERS said it, it must be TRUE, huh? NO. It's NOT true. WE at DKPITTSBURGHSPORTS have REAL access. Guy A will be in the lineup. Guy B will not. Don't trust reporters with BAD SOURCES."

First time I can recall Madden biting his tongue to avoid exploding at one of his guests. He came like an inch from kicking DK off the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad