OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

It takes a lot of self-awareness to tweet this.

Ignoring the pointlessly insulting generalization, I'd strongly recommend getting off Twitter, Pens fan or otherwise. Something about the medium drives people crazy. I don't know what the cause is (brevity leading to misunderstandings? nature of tactics needed to grow following? interacts badly with vestigial human pack animal instincts?), but the service is not providing anything healthy for anybody.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Ignoring the pointlessly insulting generalization, I'd strongly recommend getting off Twitter, Pens fan or otherwise. Something about the medium drives people crazy. I don't know what the cause is (brevity leading to misunderstandings? nature of tactics needed to grow following? interacts badly with vestigial human pack animal instincts?), but the service is not providing anything healthy for anybody.
The confusing thing about his random late night Twitter meltdown is that earlier in the day he tweeted:

“Back to not interacting on Twitter. It was fun while it lasted. (No, it wasn't.)”

And I actually do agree with some of his Penguins takes.

Re: the DK thing, yep, and he actually has a fairly solid trio right now in Molinari/Lolley/Perrotto. But let’s see how it lasts.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Twitter sucks, but holy hell, Madden is a thin-skinned moron without even the slightest glimmer of self-awareness. He should just retire and do something he likes instead of rushing himself into an early grave.

Reactions: SirBrad and KIRK

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Josh Yohe mentioned in the comments of his recent Athletic article that Seth Rorabaugh left The Athletic and Josh didn't want to "get into any other detail as [he didn't] think it would be appropriate." Rorabaugh seems to bounce around and leave jobs abruptly a lot. I wonder why that is.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I just started listening to Madden on iHeart radio and hearing the callers makes me ashamed to be a Pittsburgh fan on a daily basis. There are some really stupid people in Western PA. I can understand why Madden is a douche having to deal with those people every day. At the same time, he realizes very quickly if he’s talking to someone more knowledgeable and tries to cut off the call before getting embarrassed on-air.

Can anyone direct me to a good Pittsburgh sports podcast? There doesn’t seem to be any.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Assuming Pittsburgh has a critical mass of sports fans who would be interested enough in a local sports podcast to make sufficient money to sustain itself and assuming there's a host who most would be happy with, how would it be publicized? Word of mouth takes too long, radio would view it as competition, local TV ads are way too expensive for a fledgling podcast budget, there are not really any operational newspapers (etc). Your best marketing strategy might be to pay Pittsburgh Dad to tweet about it, which is...yeah.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Josh Yohe mentioned in the comments of his recent Athletic article that Seth Rorabaugh left The Athletic and Josh didn't want to "get into any other detail as [he didn't] think it would be appropriate." Rorabaugh seems to bounce around and leave jobs abruptly a lot. I wonder why that is.

Because sports journalists are annoying try-hard dorks with no social skills?

Reactions: dogthateats

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Now that you mention that, I haven't noticed him tweeting much recently. I just went and looked and his last tweet was June 7. His bio now says he's the PWHA social media/website coordinator.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com

I have zero base for this other than my own experience and things I've seen from Seth in terms of thought processes and behaviors but it wouldn't shock me if he had some sort of mental issue. I don't mean that in a "he's insane" way by any means. I'm bi-polar and deal with things like depression, anxiety, etc that come along with it. I feel like I've seen some of that in his twitter, especially after his father passed.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I have zero base for this other than my own experience and things I've seen from Seth in terms of thought processes and behaviors but it wouldn't shock me if he had some sort of mental issue. I don't mean that in a "he's insane" way by any means. I'm bi-polar and deal with things like depression, anxiety, etc that come along with it. I feel like I've seen some of that in his twitter, especially after his father passed.

I was thinking something along those lines too.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I should make a note that I signed up to DK yesterday and I was impressed with his coverage of the Pens entire organization,, most notably their prospects.

Personal opinions aside, it's well worth the cost.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
i wish rossi was not at the athletic
Isn't The Athletic this Godsend to sports writing? To me it reads like some English lit reject is their editor and that they take their shit too seriously when all you want is fact. Not f***ing prose and whimsical anecdotes.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Kind of funny how predictable it is which certain media folk would like the Kessel trade (Madden) and which would dislike it (the anti-Rutherford brigade, too many to name).

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Isn't The Athletic this Godsend to sports writing? To me it reads like some English lit reject is their editor and that they take their **** too seriously when all you want is fact. Not ****ing prose and whimsical anecdotes.
facts are inarguably first on twitter, I like writing, your mileage may vary

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Anyone else think Alan Saunders should be the Penguins' GM? Dude apparently knows everything about every sport and has a lot of opinions to offer about the Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad