OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
From Josh Yohe's latest article, "The truth about Evgeni Malkin and why he should stay in Pittsburgh":

"Former Penguins assistant coach Gary Agnew once told me a story that might summarize how difficult Malkin can be at times. Malkin apparently never knew Agnew’s name during the 2014-15 season. During training camp in 2015, Agnew and Malkin passed each other in a hallway two days in a row without Malkin acknowledging him. Finally, on the third day when they again passed each other, Agnew stopped Malkin in his tracks.

“I’m a coach,” Agnew told him. “I’m Gary.”

A few days later, their paths crossed again. Malkin dramatically stopped in his tracks, turned his body 90 degrees to the right, and said, “Hi, Gary.”

:laugh:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
From Josh Yohe's latest article, "The truth about Evgeni Malkin and why he should stay in Pittsburgh":

"Former Penguins assistant coach Gary Agnew once told me a story that might summarize how difficult Malkin can be at times. Malkin apparently never knew Agnew’s name during the 2014-15 season. During training camp in 2015, Agnew and Malkin passed each other in a hallway two days in a row without Malkin acknowledging him. Finally, on the third day when they again passed each other, Agnew stopped Malkin in his tracks.

A few days later, their paths crossed again. Malkin dramatically stopped in his tracks, turned his body 90 degrees to the right, and said, “Hi, Gary.”

There was an episode of spittin chiclets where Whitney and Orpik told this story of when they went out in LA for a rookie party. Would've been geno's 3rd-ish year in the league. But I think Orpik leans in a says "do you think geno knows anyone's name in here?".

So they point to Sykora and ask Geno "Who is that?". He just says "seventeen". Like this guy's been your teammate for 2 years and you don't even know his name!?

Honestly it's probably just a language thing. He doesn't seem like a malicious guy

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

That actually sounds more like an indictment on Agnew. Some leader that guy must be.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Jesus, Yohe's such a bootlicking servile dweeb.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Jesus, Yohe's such a bootlicking servile dweeb.

He said Agnew laughed when he told the story, so I don't think he meant it as harsh criticism. I just tried to keep my quote short because the article is behind a paywall and I'm not sure how much we can copy and paste here.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin is a difficult coach killer because he snubbed Gary Agnew. The guy that snapped at a reporter about how your defense can't be all-Letang and ya gotta mix some Scuderi berries in there for real success.

And that's just... classic DK. What a fragile guy.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He said Agnew laughed when he told the story, so I don't think he meant it as harsh criticism. I just tried to keep my quote short because the article is behind a paywall and I'm not sure how much we can copy and paste here.

Nah, Yohe's a horrible lickspittle who desperately wants to be JR's very good special boy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Agnew sucks, and **** it, Malkin should have been MEANER to Agnew. That's the real scandal here.

Proof positive of his terrible attitude and immature approach to his profession, HS.

Or... uh... maybe he's just a really good judge of character owing to how Agnew turned out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I want to crowdfund a campaign to relentlessly shove Yohe into lockers.

He'd just write a pandering piece on it.

"The Case For Nerd-Slamming Weasely Sports Journalists Into Lockers and How It Shows My Undying Love and Affection For All Things Jim Rutherford."

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Agnew sucks, and **** it, Malkin should have been MEANER to Agnew. That's the real scandal here.

IIRC, Agnew's most memorable contribution was when the camera panned to his daughter during a game that one time.

But yeah, that Geno story strikes me as funny more than anything. Illustrates a dry sense of humor on his part.

Last edited:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

Here's the key quote from the article:

"This is what happened this season, I believe. Malkin didn’t see a championship-caliber roster and started to freelance. When he was 22, he could pull it off. He’s almost 33 now, though, and the results this season were decidedly less impressive."

He goes into "f*** it" mode when shit doesn't jive.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Here's the key quote from the article:

"This is what happened this season, I believe. Malkin didn’t see a championship-caliber roster and started to freelance. When he was 22, he could pull it off. He’s almost 33 now, though, and the results this season were decidedly less impressive."

He goes into "**** it" mode when **** doesn't jive.

What I take from that article is that Malkin's more qualified to be running this team than anyone we have in management since he (Malkin) seems to be the only one who sees it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What I take from that article is that Malkin's more qualified to be running this team than anyone we have in management since he (Malkin) seems to be the only one who sees it.

Maybe they should actually address Malkin's concerns as opposed to stirring up stories about it in the press? You know... talk to him about his frustrations and how they should move forward?

Hey, I know... Sullivan could go to JR who could go to Gonchar who could go back to Recchi who could go to Cullen who could go back to Gonchar who could talk to Malkin's parents who then could talk to Mario who could maybe bring Kovalev (because Russian!) in on the conversation who could go back to Gonchar again after that who can then talk to Malkin about it!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe they should actually address Malkin's concerns as opposed to stirring up stories about it in the press? You know... talk to him about his frustrations and how they should move forward?

That would require them to actually see his concerns as being valid. The fact they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with the roster construction, and that all issues stem from core players not buying in, suggests they think his concerns are nonsense to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino