Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Thr
Here's what I look at . . .

78 career playoff games

55 career playoff points (22g, 33a)

Of those points, 38 at ES (19g, 19a)

I see a guy with the skillset and speed to be PERFECT with Kessel.

And, I see a 60 point plus regular season player who only has dropped in production because he's in Guy Boucher's system . . . and EVERYONE takes a monster production hit in Guy Boucher's system.
Captain has spoken. Dont see Pittsburgh waiting too much longer. Im guessing they trade Hunwick first for a pick to use in the deal (and to clear up cap).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
but but but NHL 18 GM Mode told me that Sprong, Gustavsson, 1st is a huge overpayment for Brassard! :sarcasm:

Eh, just push the override button.

All seriousness, this is what I was saying to @DJB. Rutherford doesn't concern himself with whether he's winning a deal in the abstract or if the deal is risk free. He knows what he wants. He knows what it's worth to him. And I can assure you that his offer, whether it's the best or whether Dorion accepts in the end, is solid. As I said, if you think back to how he got Staal from the Pens and Kessel from the Leafs, both times he could've lowballed. That's just not his style.

Reactions: Shaffer

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

All seriousness, this is what I was saying to @DJB. Rutherford doesn't concern himself with whether he's winning a deal in the abstract or if the deal is risk free. He knows what he wants. He knows what it's worth to him. And I can assure you that his offer, whether it's the best or whether Dorion accepts in the end, is solid. As I said, if you think back to how he got Staal from the Pens and Kessel from the Leafs, both times he could've lowballed. That's just not his style.
Does it improve the current lineup is a simple way of putting it.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thr

Captain has spoken. Dont see Pittsburgh waiting too much longer. Im guessing they trade Hunwick first for a pick to use in the deal (and to clear up cap).

I think the ball is in Dorion's court.

IF he says yes in time, then Rutherford will make his ancillary moves of salary that I suspect, if necessary, are lined up.

IF he keeps saying no, then Rutherford won't offer more and eventually will move on.

Reactions: DJB

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
There's just one minor problem with that . . .

HINT: Crosby hasn't been comfortable playing with any of our RW's for more than a few games all year. He wants a speed guy on his RW. That's not Hornqvist. Rust never works. And, Phil . . . well, isn't it interesting that Phil never has played a full game on Sid's RW.

I think having Guentzel back on his line would help make up for that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think having Guentzel back on his line would help make up for that.

It won't. Maybe he's given no choice in the end, but if Hornqvist with Crosby was, from Crosby's (and Sullivan's perhaps) perspectives what you or I may think it is, then they wouldn't run from it the way they do, right? It's the same as why Phil never plays with Crosby for more than a random shift. The reason is pretty obvious if you're willing to accept (not agree, mind you) it.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Which package do you prefer the one above or Rust + 1st + Bellerive

Honestly wouldn't do either, Rust is a jack of all trades type player, with blazing fast speed, willingness to go to the net, not to mention HUGE in the playoffs, especially in clinching/elimination games. As for the other package of Sprong, Gus + 1st, that's just waaaayyy too much for my liking for 1 and half years of Brassard. Pens can probably get a younger center on a longer term with that package.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Bingo.

Its so nice to converse with another level headed poster of another team who looks at the whole picture and sees things objectively .

Thanks Kirk!

You kidding me. I'm old enough to remember Brassard as a Ranger BURYING the Pens in the playoffs TWICE.

12 career playoff games against the Pens . . . 9 points (7g, 2a).

:thumbu:

You guys gonna start making out now or what? :popcorn:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I think another thing to consider that's been possibly overlooked is that pick we dealt to Colorado as well as showing Karlsson we can still be a winner. No doubt Dorion is looking to shed salary and build for the future but he has to be careful in not just dumping Brassard for the sake of doing so and tanking us too much that the first is really high and Karlsson wants to get out of town because of a poor season next year

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You guys gonna make out now or what? :popcorn:

You know, Brassard once played for Sully in the playoffs, when he was assisting Torts in NY. 12 games . . . 12 points.

That year, he was 2g, 7a in a 7 game upset of the Caps, then only got 3a in 5 games against the Bruins. Of course, that's 3 points more than Sid and Geno combined put up against Boston the next round.

BTW, that full PPG is more than Phil has done with Sully. Just saying . . .

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Would rather have Brassard than any of that, no matter how positive the light. Too many question marks.

I'm not real sure where your coming from on that. It looks like your looking to retool and that's exactly what you should be looking for. you only have Brassard for another season and then he will need a re-up

On another note, I am surprised Ottawa is moving in this direction. On paper they look pretty solid and loaded with talent. Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone, Duchene, Brassard, Ryan (hes been down) Pags etc. Yes they need some help but it looks like they are gutting.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think another thing to consider that's been possibly overlooked is that pick we dealt to Colorado as well as showing Karlsson we can still be a winner. No doubt Dorion is looking to shed salary and build for the future but he has to be careful in not just dumping Brassard for the sake of doing so and tanking us too much that the first is really high and Karlsson wants to get out of town because of a poor season next year

I don't follow things closely enough with you guys to know, but what does EK want?

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
You know, Brassard once played for Sully in the playoffs, when he was assisting Torts in NY. 12 games . . . 12 points.

That year, he was 2g, 7a in a 7 game upset of the Caps, then only got 3a in 5 games against the Bruins. Of course, that's 3 points more than Sid and Geno combined put up against Boston the next round.

BTW, that full PPG is more than Phil has done with Sully. Just saying . . .

Hell ya kirk, Me and you usually are on the same page as far as the pens go and i would LOVE to get Brassard, he's a clutch playoff performer. But i'm kinda nervous as to what Jimbo's gonna trade to get him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hell ya kirk, Me and you usually are on the same page as far as the pens go and i would LOVE to get Brassard, he's a clutch playoff performer. But i'm kinda nervous as to what Jimbo's gonna trade to get him.

I suspect it's a hold your nose deal. A solid deal for Ottawa, albeit not as much as Dorion still hopes to get (see the Dreger tweet), and one that will cause a healthy number of Pens fans to worry about why might happen in 2020.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Not me, I am all in. Even if it ended up being a 1st, Sprong, Gus, Hunwick. But i'd like some retention if it was those 4, like 20-30% or so

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
There's just one minor problem with that . . .

HINT: Crosby hasn't been comfortable playing with any of our RW's for more than a few games all year. He wants a speed guy on his RW. That's not Hornqvist. Rust never works. And, Phil . . . well, isn't it interesting that Phil never has played a full game on Sid's RW.
obviously the answer is Ryan Reaves.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't follow things closely enough with you guys to know, but what does EK want?

Hes a very determined guy and wants to win no doubt. If Sens dont improve next year dramatically i could definitely see him wanting out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hes a very determined guy and wants to win no doubt. If Sens dont improve next year dramatically i could definitely see him wanting out.

So how exactly do you reconcile that with, uh, Melnyk as CEO?

I don't envy Dorion. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which package do you prefer the one above or Rust + 1st + Bellerive

Rust is a nonstarter for a center I think. Bellerive would also really hurt to move, he's looking like he could be the real deal. I'm very excited about Bellerive, I'm much more willing to move Sprong because it doesn't look like Sprong is the only noticeably good forward prospect the Penguins have anymore.

Honesty, if the Penguins can move both Hunwick and Sheary elsewhere (which I think they can for sure), I'd be fine with just doing a pure futures package for Brassard. I feel like Ottawa may want a NHLer back for Brassard though, so that might be problematic. I was trying to think of a package for Sheary to Edmonton that makes sense, but holy cow, Edmonton's prospect pool is absolutely dreadful :laugh:

Maybe it would play out like this:

Hunwick and a 4th to Arizona for Connauton at 50%
Sheary to Edmonton for a 2019 2nd and Slepyshev
Slepyshev, Gustavsson, 2018 1st from the Penguins and 2019 2nd from Edmonton for Brassard

That does solve the issue of getting a "NHLer" back for Brassard, even if Slepyshev isn't that good.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm gonna be pissed if the Pens trade Sprong, Gustavsson, + 1st for Brassard.. Seems like a massive overpayment.

It "seems" like a massive overpayment, but it's really not.

Rental market has been set for two-way 2nd line centers with the Vermette and Hanzal deals in recent years. Each guy got a 1st and another decent piece. In this case, that would mean something like Gustavsson + 1st.

As I've pointed out, unlike those two, Brassard has another year on his deal at 5M cap hit and 3M salary (front-loaded contract). That has value. Surely there's a team out there that would trade something good to get Brassard for the entire 2018/19 season and a playoff run, all for 3M in salary.

His value is higher than traditional rentals because he's signed for an additional year. It's really that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad