Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins extend Marcus Pettersson (5 years, $4.025175M AAV)

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I have no idea who this player is, which seems odd considering he just got 20m

16 people liked this? Maybe that's why the NHL isn't bigger. To many casual fans (I'm not bashing you btw)

Nothing wrong with being a casual fan obv. You should have heard of him. He played what....84 games last year?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

i guess you missed the 90s to 2006? The pens were a dynasty. Then the fans left. If the lottery balls didn’t drop for Crosby? (Legit or not?) what happens then? The team was in huge trouble. multiple times despite an incredible collection of all time talent and multiple cups.

I totally could have worded that better that’s my fault. Hopefully the fans stay when the winning stops. But they haven’t before...... and they rely on the big market teams to keep the lights on. Half the league does.

it’s just dumb for people to complain about “the center of the universe” when that literally drives the league.

every fan base that is so passionate when they win. But then when. It stops. They rely on the league to bail them out. It’s ridiculous not to acknowledge or understand that.

just like toronto fans should respect what the yankees and lakers have done. Without them the leagues are entirely different.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
16 people liked this? Maybe that's why the NHL isn't bigger. To many casual fans (I'm not bashing you btw)

Nothing wrong with being a casual fan obv. You should have heard of him. He played what....84 games last year?

Hes a completely unremarkable player (...not a bad player). Why should I have heard about him?

Ive watched a handful of Penguins games that the Leafs werent involved in and he clearly didnt standout at all in them.

Average defensive dmen just arent noteworthy.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Hes a completely unremarkable player (...not a bad player). Why should I have heard about him?

Ive watched a handful of Penguins games that the Leafs werent involved in and he clearly didnt standout at all in them.

Average defensive dmen just arent noteworthy.

Ill rephrase that for you

A 23 year old top 4 defensive dman on one of the better units in the NHL this year. Hes not flashy but hes not fun to play against

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
i guess you missed the 90s to 2006? The pens were a dynasty. Then the fans left. If the lottery balls didn’t drop for Crosby? (Legit or not?) what happens then? The team was in huge trouble. multiple times despite an incredible collection of all time talent and multiple cups.

I totally could have worded that better that’s my fault. Hopefully the fans stay when the winning stops. But they haven’t before...... and they rely on the big market teams to keep the lights on. Half the league does.

it’s just dumb for people to complain about “the center of the universe” when that literally drives the league.

every fan base that is so passionate when they win. But then when. It stops. They rely on the league to bail them out. It’s ridiculous not to acknowledge or understand that.

just like toronto fans should respect what the yankees and lakers have done. Without them the leagues are entirely different.

Attendance fell because of terrible ownership. Weird how the same thing has happened in O6 teams as well and the same thing happened to the Leafs during their bad years as well.

Reactions: Freeptop

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Well, your expectations are too high.

Ive likely heard of him, but seeing as how hes a completely average player with less then 200 games played he isnt standing out in my mind. His career high is 19 points.

Why people are offended about this I have no idea. If you think im the only one youre quite mistaken.

Career high 19 points? Shows how much you know about the player. You really shouldn't comment on players you literally have no idea about.

Last year was his rookie year and he had 25 points. This season he is on pace for another 25+ point season. So when you have a defenseman that has already getting top 4 playing time as a rookie and has been cemented in our top 4 again this season as a 23 year old. That is the going rate for a 2nd pairing defenseman that is young and has put up 25 points as a rookie. To act like that is an overpayment show your lack of hockey knowledge. Go look up how many teams top 4 are all getting paid $4 million or more. The ones that don't have someone on an entry level contract like the Pens have this season with Pettersson and Marino making peanuts as 2nd pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Career high 19 points? Shows how much you know about the player. You really shouldn't comment on players you literally have no idea about.

Last year was his rookie year and he had 25 points. This season he is on pace for another 25+ point season. So when you have a defenseman that has already getting top 4 playing time as a rookie and has been cemented in our top 4 again this season as a 23 year old. That is the going rate for a 2nd pairing defenseman that is young and has put up 25 points as a rookie. To act like that is an overpayment show your lack of hockey knowledge. Go look up how many teams top 4 are all getting paid $4 million or more. The ones that don't have someone on an entry level contract like the Pens have this season with Pettersson and Marino making peanuts as 2nd pairing defenseman.

Again, I never said he was overpayed or that this is a bad contract.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Since you seem to know so much about the Pens bankruptcy, why don’t you explain how SMG bled them dry even when they sold out year after year in the 90s...and how your working theory is that was the fans fault.

Good luck with that.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder why people resent the team and the Fan base that literally employs half the league and funds it.......

Pittsburgh has had what 4-5 of the greatest players of all time. Consistently a great team everything is great. The second they start to lose and the fans don’t care. the second they dip. Boom bankruptcy.

They pay for the Steelers win or lose. But not the pens. The league has to pay for and bail out these teams time and time again.

Everyone understands and accepts it. Then fans are upset because the media revolves around Toronto......
Fans of other teams should be grateful that they get to live off the money of other teams.

Just like fans of the raptors should be great full for the coverage etc of the lakers. If there wasn’t the Yankees and the lakers and all the success there. There wouldnt be teams in toronto.
Always play the victim. Always have the entitlement. Always complain about the rest of the league owing you something.

I have zero idea why people dislike you.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Wah wah wah, cry me a river. Seriously this entitlement that you think you have over the rest of the league is annoying. This is the issue people have with you. Make a point, but don't sit here and act like a saint and better than everyone else because you have been a fan of Toronto. That doesn't give you the right to think your better than everyone else just because you're a masochist.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No reason to really flinch at a $4M pricetag for a Top-4D these days. Even if he's not a Top-3D, it's still a fair price. He's shown flashes that he could be a Top-3 guy, in inconsistent.

A lot of teams paying a lot more for less capable defencemen,

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, your expectations are too high.

I figured most of HF was more than just casual fans who recognize 5 or 6 players on opposing teams. So apparently you're right, my expectations are too high and I'll just assume from now on that the only players people on here will recognize are Crosby and Malkin on the Pens.

Ive likely heard of him, but seeing as how hes a completely average player with less then 200 games played he isnt standing out in my mind. His career high is 19 points.

Why people are offended about this I have no idea. If you think im the only one youre quite mistaken.

I'm not offended, I'm just surprised you don't seem to know a top four defenseman on a conference rival's team. It's not like he's some 8th defenseman who was called up and has 10 games to his name.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have no idea who this player is, which seems odd considering he just got 20m

That says more about you (and everyone else of the same mould) then it says about Pettersson. Last year as a rookie he came in and played 18 minutes a night and played at a 27pt pace while being excellent all around (defense and transition) - especially with the wrath of injuries Pittsburgh had to endure in Feb or so last year.

I would have liked to see this be a little lower than 4m, but it's not really a surprise given what other D have been signing lately. MP is a good player and this contract isn't out of line with his abilities - it'll just make things tight next season (no real surprise).
Sorry for not knowing every 2nd pair dman in the league. Hes been here a season and a half, its not like hes a 5 year veteran.

Do you know every player in the league?

Enough of them that when someone gets a 20m extension it's not a complete shock to me. I might not have valued them the same way, but at least I know who they are.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You would turn down an extra 25k cause the numbers don’t add up beautifully?

25k s year... so 125,875 over the entire contract. It adds up quickly.

Jim rutherford "Ok Marcus we like you how about 4 mil a year"
Pettersson scoffs "Thats garbage, no way am I signing that"
Jim Rutherford " Ok how about 4.025 a year"
Pettersson "Pffft no way"
Rutherford "Ok how about 4.025175"
Pettersson "I'm glad we could come to this arrangement"

Given how specific that number is, and how when added to his current contract equals 21m exactly, I can't help but think that this number was given to "make him whole" with regards to the contract that he didn't sign this summer due to Rutherford not having the cap space to give him that contract. There was frank admissions from JR and MPs agent that 2 deals were on the table (one short, one long term) and that the Penguins were just waiting to see if they could make enough cap room to give him the long term extension in the summer, or if they had to do a short cheap 1 yr deal and sort out a long term deal this season.
Pettersson has the slight edge statistically, and also comes in cheaper.

And despite Andersson being the bigger (thicker) player, MP is the more physical player (not that he's going to do much when he does hit). About all that Andersson has going for him is that he's a RHS vs MP being a lefty. Both contracts bought 2 FA years.

Last edited:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Looks a fair contract on the face of it. You don't get legit top 4 D for much less than that, and he doesn't look the type to just fall off a cliff with his performance levels

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
in 5 years when Crosby retires and Pittsburgh goes bankrupt for the 3rd time and threatens to move...... you will be happy that the hockey world revolves around toronto.

revenue sharing is your friend.
And while the hockey world continues to revolve around Toronto, sometime in these next 5 years maybe you care enough for your best player that you will send him to Pittsburgh again so that he has an actual chance at winning a Stanley Cup. It worked so well last time when the best player on your team had to leave the hockey capitol of the world just so he could experience what it's like to be in a city that can actually win it all in his lifetime that the relationship should continue.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad