Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins extend Marcus Pettersson (5 years, $4.025175M AAV)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I haven’t gone through all 7 pages but I am sure there is a lot of wow that’s an overpayment. I am sure this guy is getting very little PP time. His possession numbers are solid. I look at it this way it might be a slight overpayment now it will a very good deal in a year or two and a steal by the end.

he is just coming into his own and this is buying prime years at a reasonable cap hit.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven’t gone through all 7 pages but I am sure there is a lot of wow that’s an overpayment. I am sure this guy is getting very little PP time. His possession numbers are solid. I look at it this way it might be a slight overpayment now it will a very good deal in a year or two and a steal by the end.

he is just coming into his own and this is buying prime years at a reasonable cap hit.

It's not even really an overpayment at this time, people are just stuck in 2011 when it comes to contracts. There have been dozens of defensemen just like Pettersson getting long-term deals at $4 million. Just off the top of my head, there's Maatta, Andersson, Fowler, Hamonic, Brodin, Chychrun and Pesce.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
UFA vs RFA?

Holl has better numbers too.

Ouch.

No he doesn't. Holl's a guy giving #4/5 results while playing #5 minutes, and Pettersson is a guy giving #3/4 results (his charts are set up so "average" is fringe 2nd/3rd line F or fringe #3/4 D) while playing #4 minutes. Where are these numbers that say Holl is better?

But apparently Leafs fans feel it necessary to make every thread about the Leafs now.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

No he doesn't. Holl's a guy giving #4/5 results while playing #5 minutes, and Pettersson is a guy giving #3/4 results (his charts are set up so "average" is fringe 2nd/3rd line F or fringe #3/4 D) while playing #4 minutes. Where are these numbers that say Holl is better?

But apparently Leafs fans feel it necessary to make every thread about the Leafs now.

I mean, if you look at the data shown here they seem to be quite equitable players in every way except how much they are being paid and for how long.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, if you look at the data shown here they seem to be quite equitable players in every way except how much they are being paid and for how long.

McCurdy literally says that Pettersson is better than Holl in those tweets. There isn't a huge difference between the two right now, but Pettersson is paid more because he's better and has a much higher perceived upside. Ignoring the fact that Pettersson was a well regarded prospect and is only 23, while Holl was a career AHLer/healthy scratch until he was 27, is insanely dumb.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
It should be forbidden to post in this forum if you do not know at least 95 percent of the players in the league. The 5 percent that would be acceptable not to know who they are would be rookies.

On topic: good deal for Pettersson, he is underrated and a good citizen. Should do his job for the next 5 years without problems and might improve still to make this contract a steal.
Such a terrible take.
You do realize the NHL you watch generates majority of its revenue from fans that don’t even know 20% of the player in the league. They are called the casual fan. Yes there are some few fans who know 95% of the players in the NHL but my guess would be that’s around 5% of hockey fans. This is not a popular national sport like NBA or NFL. So instead of forbidding people who don’t know any other Pettersson except for the guy in Vancouver, try educating.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He’s played well but that term sucks.

Why does the term suck? Pettersson was a 22 year old rookie last season and played over 18 minutes a night and had 25 points. This season Pettersson is on pace again for 25+ points and is playing around 20 minutes a night. What about that term is bad when signing a 23 year old defenseman? Did you think Pens should of went more years? Less certainly doesn't make sense. Pettersson will be 28 in his last year of that deal. So what is your problem with the length?

Reactions: Pens and Flames

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR likes cost certainty and knows those costs will be less impactfull ovr time. He will gain experience and has said getting stronger is a priority. He is a defensive type D man and paired with Marino that will be the eventual Letang Dumo pairing down the road. Yes it is a little on the high side but he took one for the team this year for cap considerations.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
GMJR likes cost certainty and knows those costs will be less impactfull ovr time. He will gain experience and has said getting stronger is a priority. He is a defensive type D man and paired with Marino that will be the eventual Letang Dumo pairing down the road. Yes it is a little on the high side but he took one for the team this year for cap considerations.

GMCF likes it, too. GMLL is also a big fan. And GMDW. GMJC makes cost certainty his motto. GMSY plans on it being a big part of his team going forward.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Well the whole hockey world doesn’t revolve around Toronto soo..

This is the problem with basically everything today.

Everyone is in their own little world, has no idea who player A is and then says, "that's steep". Admitting you don't know who a player is and then chastising a deal and then getting "likes"?

You CAN make this shit up folks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I lived near Toronto for seven years and almost all Leafs fans I got to know were cool as f***.

So I’m not going to bash Leafs fans, but how one Leafs fan derailed this thread is lame.

NHL didn’t even have revenue sharing until the Pens were making money hand over fist with their new arena.

So any nonsense the Leafs ever helped the Pens is an absolute fabrication, just like it was a lack of fan support that caused their bankruptcy.

Baldwin was a moron, his stupidity caused the bankruptcy and let’s just leave it at that, get back to talking about MP, and stop bashing the Leafs because of one ignorant poster.

Reactions: BHD and Freeptop

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Haha, maybe... I would be curious on how this number came about. You would think that the Penguins owner would just pay for that on the side as a benefit. I'm sure some players get some freebies so that they get under a certain amount. Maybe he also gets free rent or lease on a car?
Ugh...I swear this has been answered a hundred times already. The number is weird because he took his qualifying offer this season, so that JR could fit everyone under the cap. It was a 21M over 6 years contract, so $3.5M per year, but since he took the discount this season he gets the extra going forward.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I lived near Toronto for seven years and almost all Leafs fans I got to know were cool as ****.

So I’m not going to bash Leafs fans, but how one Leafs fan derailed this thread is lame.

NHL didn’t even have revenue sharing until the Pens were making money hand over fist with their new arena.

So any nonsense the Leafs ever helped the Pens is an absolute fabrication, just like it was a lack of fan support that caused their bankruptcy.

Baldwin was a moron, his stupidity caused the bankruptcy and let’s just leave it at that, get back to talking about MP, and stop bashing the Leafs because of one ignorant poster.

A moderator no less.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Ugh...I swear this has been answered a hundred times already. The number is weird because he took his qualifying offer this season, so that JR could fit everyone under the cap. It was a 21M over 6 years contract, so $3.5M per year, but since he took the discount this season he gets the extra going forward.

Well, at least players can take JR's word that if you're willing to defer getting paid that he will make it up to you later when he can. I wish we had him as a GM instead of Barstool Bob.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A moderator no less.

giphy.gif

I think Warden just made an innocuous comment that kind of blew up for silly reasons, I have no issues with that.

The other Leafs fan claiming Pens fans should bow before the Leafs for saving them is such a huge load of BS and totally out of left field.

How a thread about MP’s new deal elicits that kind of straight up lie and nonsense is bizarre.

Reactions: BHD

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
it's great they threw in that extra $175 a year

That's because the deal really was 6 years at $3.5 million a year. The Pens didn't have the cap space to sign him for that this summer so Pettersson literally signed for peanuts with a hand shake agreement the other 5 years would be done in January which was the soonest it could be done. If you calculate Pettersson's deal this year and then add it to this new 5 year deal you will get that $3.5 million a year deal. So that's why you see the weird cap number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->