Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins extend Marcus Pettersson (5 years, $4.025175M AAV)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
JR has a knack for getting top four blue liners for pennies on the dollar.

Schultz for a third
Petts for Sprong
Marino for a sixth

Man oh man that is good.

Letang - draft
Dumoulin - part of the Staal for Sutter, Pouliot, Dumoulin trade
Marino - trade for 6th
Pettersson - trade for Sprong
Johnson - signed
Schultz - trade for 3rd
Riikola - signed

Not a bad constructing of a decent defense using minimal assets.

Reactions: Jacob

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Fair deal for what he's shown in the Burgh, any improvement in his game is just gravy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sprong is still on 22. He clearly has the hands and a knack for scoring goals. He still has time to develop his overall game.

He has time, but he may end up in another organization next time he's placed on waivers.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You guys making fun of the extra bit tacked on don't get it.

Pettersson and GMJR had a deal in place over the summer for 6 years, 21m total, 3.5m AAV. They were unable to move a guy to free the cap space (most reports said Jack Johnson or Gudbransson, the later of whom they did eventually move), so Pettersson took one for the team and signed his qualifying offer of 874,125 for the year. They had an understanding that GMJR would take care of him for the remaining 5 years and 20,125,875 in January, once management is allowed to negotiate again with pending free agents. The end result is a 6 year, 21m contract, on the dot. They effectively back loaded the cap hit in the final 5 years by splitting it into a cheap 1 year deal and an expensive 5 year. Took a lot of trust from Petts that GMJR would take care of him, and I'm guessing he had a nice insurance policy taken out on himself in case of catastrophic injury.

Good signing, lets move on to McCann and Kahun

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And bottom pairing UFA dmen for dollars on the penny! ;)

JR finally got it right in UFA with Tanev looking like a home run, but he’s been god awful in free agency.

I think he does speed balls or something before he calls an agent...

JJ at least looks well worth his cap hit and is bringing a nice physical edge, just his deal is way too long.

Next year around this time they will be halfway through his deal, see!

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He has time, but he may end up in another organization next time he's placed on waivers.

Yeah, the Ducks are trying to avoid that. They sent Sprong down after his most recent eight game look. The next time he is called up he will stay on the roster until the season ends.

Ducks management knows he can score goals. They are trying to get him to work on the rest of his game in San Diego.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, the Ducks are trying to avoid that. They sent Sprong down after his most recent eight game look. The next time he is called up he will stay on the roster until the season ends.

Ducks management knows he can score goals. They are trying to get him to work on the rest of his game in San Diego.

It’s been 4 years of trying to get Sprong to work on his overall game. I don’t think he has the hockey IQ for it at this point.

Reactions: Riptide

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
The Ducks, a team starved for goal scoring, have him in the AHL working on improving the other aspects of his game (supposedly).

Stuff like this was said about Spong ad nauseam the entire time he was with the Penguins organization.

Sprong is still on 22. He clearly has the hands and a knack for scoring goals. He still has time to develop his overall game.

Sprong's career is like Eric Tangradi 2.0, I just hope he doesn't get his career derailed by some neanderthal like the Big Dawg did.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
You just said it's odd that he got 20m because you don't know him, so why would you say that if you don't know at least every top-6 F and top-4 D in the league?

I think it's fair to be surprised that you haven't heard of someone signing for that kind of money. It's not even a jab at the player, just an honest observation.
If others want to be the gatekeeper on the level of knowledge you need to have to avoid ridicule, that's on them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure I like this from Pittsburgh's perspective. But I don't really have a great read on what the guy brings to the table. For the record, if Andersson is the comparable, that deal is incredibly risky as well. Not a lot proven thus far from either of them.

Andersson:
Last year - 79 GP, 2 G, 17 A, 19 P (16:02)
This year - 50 GP, 3 G, 10 A, 13 P (19:05)

Pettersson:
Last year - 84 GP, 2 G, 23 A, 25 P (17:56 per game with Pit)
This year - 50 GP, 1 G, 14 A, 15 P (19:22 per game)

Andersson (at 5on5):
Last year - 50.84 CF%, 49.79 FF%, 51.21 SCF%, 51.62 HDCF%
This year - 51.62 CF%, 51.64 FF%, 53.77 SCF%, 50.64 HDCF%

Pettersson (at 5on5):
Last year - 51.35 CF% (with Pit), 51.12 FF% (with Pit), 53.93 SCF% (with Pit), 58.93 HDCF% (with Pit)
This year - 52.27 CF%, 53.09 FF%, 53.04 SCF%, 54.86 HDCF%

Pettersson has the slight edge statistically, and also comes in cheaper.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oh, you know every player in the league? Especially those with less then 2 seasons accrued?

Know every minute detail about every player in the league to the point you can list his strengths and weaknesses, no. But one would assume that if you follow the league as a whole and not just your own team, one would have at least heard of every team's regular players. If it was a call-up or a guy getting 10 minutes per game, maybe not. But someone averaging almost 20 minutes per night, one would expect even a casual hockey fan to have heard of them.

Reactions: Riptide

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Tacked onto his 1 year deal this year it's exactly the Brandon Tanev contract. Not that that has any relevance.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Know every minute detail about every player in the league to the point you can list his strengths and weaknesses, no. But one would assume that if you follow the league as a whole and not just your own team, one would have at least heard of every team's regular players. If it was a call-up or a guy getting 10 minutes per game, maybe not. But someone averaging almost 20 minutes per night, one would expect even a casual hockey fan to have heard of them.

Well, your expectations are too high.

Ive likely heard of him, but seeing as how hes a completely average player with less then 200 games played he isnt standing out in my mind. His career high is 19 points.

Why people are offended about this I have no idea. If you think im the only one youre quite mistaken.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Well, your expectations are too high.

Ive likely heard of him, but seeing as how hes a completely average player with less then 200 games played he isnt standing out in my mind. His career high is 19 points.

Why people are offended about this I have no idea. If you think im the only one youre quite mistaken.
I don't think people are offended, mostly think it's weird for you to come to Petterssons signing thread informing everyone else that you lack knowledge of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad